Profile for Michael Wadge > Reviews

Content by Michael Wadge

Michael Wadge (Bristol England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
IXOS Speaker Cube (PINK)
IXOS Speaker Cube (PINK)
Offered by Accessory-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product for the price., 12 Feb. 2013
I find this to be a very useful gadget linked to my Ipod Nano, which I invariably use when I am doing my ironing! Inevitably,the bass response is virtually non existent. As against that, it produces a very clear sound and is remarkably cheap.

Raven Black (Shetland Book 1)
Raven Black (Shetland Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent taste of life in Shetland, 2 Feb. 2013
For some peculiar reason, I have long had a fascination for remote islands, such as the Faroes and Tristan Da Cunha, but have actually only visited Iceland. To date, my pleasure has been obtained vicariously and this book has helped to give me an insight into life in Shetland, which is, of course, the most northerly part of the British Isles. The book captures the atmosphere of winter in Shetland, its darkness, its Norse roots and cold climate. I felt it was well written and I anticipate that I will read more of her books forming part of the Shetland Quartet. Unfortunately, I have missed the dramatisation on BBC Television of one of her other books in the series, but I am hoping a repeat will be shown soon.

The Story Of Naxos: The extraordinary story of the independent record label that changed classical recording for ever

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read about a classical phenomenon, 28 Nov. 2012
I have purchased a number of Naxos CDs over the years and have many times wondered how its incredible range has been created and is indeed still being created, especially at a time when most of the major labels seem to have virtually given up producing recordings of new and/or unfamiliar music. This book gives the low down on how the founder of Naxos, Klaus Heymann, has through his drive flown in the face of the accepted wisdom and prejudices of the music industry and has created at budget prices and very often using virtually unknown performers CDs of music of real worth and quality, excellently recorded in the main. My only criticism is that, in my view, the section dealing with performers who have worked with Naxos was over long and should have been edited. However, this is still worth a read.

Magico
Magico
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool jazz, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Magico (Audio CD)
I found this CD has needed repeated airings as its undoubted charms are not immediately apparent. However, the musicianship of the three performers is very considerable and I really enjoy listening to the CD, especially late at night.

Concerto Gregoriano (Choo, Singapore So, Nishizaki)
Concerto Gregoriano (Choo, Singapore So, Nishizaki)
Offered by UKMusicFiendz

5.0 out of 5 stars Respighi in tranquil mode, 28 Nov. 2012
I purchased this CD as a result of reading the Story of Naxos. Prior to this, I had never heard of this music or the other music, Poema Autunnale, recorded, both of which pieces turned out to be absolutely lovely. I also knew nothing about the soloist, Takako Nishizaki, who is the Japanese Wife of the founder of Naxos and its associated label, Marco Polo, Klaus Heymann. She proved to be a brilliant performer and I discovered from the book I previously mentioned that she was the first pupil of the renowned founder of the Suzuki method of teaching violin for children, Shinichi Suzuki.

Give this a try!

Rieker Nico Leather Wide Fit Shoe 16750 Brown 8 / 42
Rieker Nico Leather Wide Fit Shoe 16750 Brown 8 / 42

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 19 Oct. 2012
This is the second pair of these shoes that I have bought. I have wide feet and these shoes thus suit my feet very well. I also find the velcro fastening very convenient.

Highly recommended!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 17 Oct. 2012
This is my second kindle, as I damaged my first one beyond repair by accidentally sitting on it, which I discovered was not a very good idea! I think this is a marvellous invention and I always use it when I go on holiday, as it saves my carrying numerous heavy paperbacks. As most of my reading is done late at night in bed it is also very suitable for this purpose.

A Walk-On Part: Diaries 1994-1999 (Mullin Diaires 3)
A Walk-On Part: Diaries 1994-1999 (Mullin Diaires 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 16 Oct. 2012
This is the second volume of Chris Mullin's diaries I have read. Volume 3, which is this Book, does not follow in sequence the previous one, which I found to be mildly diconcerting. However, it is an interesting read and whilst his own political views are rather more left wing than my own, he does not hesitate being critical of the Labour Party of which he was an MP for many years and the Cabinet, including the Prime Minister, Tony Blair, who he rather endearingly describes as "the Man".

Vendetta: The Mafia, Judge Falcone and the Quest for Justice
Vendetta: The Mafia, Judge Falcone and the Quest for Justice

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 6 Aug. 2012
I enjoyed reading most of this book and especially the detailed account of Judge Falcone's incredibly brave efforts to clamp down on the Cosa Nostra in Sicily. The steps taken to try to eliminate him were also vividly described and especially the plot which resulted in the tragic early deaths of himself and his Wife. The twisted values of the Organisation and its malign impact on Sicilian Society in general were well illustrated. However, I felt that the book lost some of its momentum after the death of Falcone, which prevented me from awarding it 5 stars.

The Absence
The Absence
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
This is the second CD of hers I have purchased and it is very different from the first one, largely because of the South American musical influences of her Producer, Heitor Pereira. Her music is very subtle with a jazzy inflexion and I was initially not sure I would enjoy it very much. However, it has certainly grown on me and I suspect will continue to do so. One can also only admire the difficulties she has had to overcome after her terrible accident some years ago.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9