Profile for Michael Wadge > Reviews

Content by Michael Wadge

Michael Wadge (Bristol England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Plasti-kote 18303 400ml Outdoor Metallic Spray Graphite
Plasti-kote 18303 400ml Outdoor Metallic Spray Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product for sprucing up tired looking and rusty garden furniture., 13 July 2014
I purchased this product as last year we had obtained online a cheap wrought iron circular garden table and two chairs. Over the past few months the finish, which was admittedly never very good, had badly faded and the furniture had become quite rusty. After using a wire brush to remove the rust, I found that, without using any primer, I was able to produce an excellent finish with just over two cans. Application proved to be very easy. Indeed, the furniture now looks much better than it did when new.

Strongly recommended!

Au Revoir, Europe: What if Britain left the EU?
Au Revoir, Europe: What if Britain left the EU?

4.0 out of 5 stars A balanced critique on the complex issues involved., 26 May 2014
I read this book, as I was anxious to learn about the pros and cons of belonging to or leaving the EU. This is particularly relevant at the present time, bearing in mind the major gains of Ukip in the recent European election and also those of other right wing parties throughout Europe. I confess I started as a europhile, but have certainly become less so since reading the book. The author clearly illustrated the astonishing cost of operating the EU, with its bloated and largely unaccountable bureaucracy. However, to balance this, the author was at pains to point out that many people have lost sight of the fact that Europe has avoided major conflict since the formation of the EU.

I found the chapter on the imagined scenario of Britain after a vote to exit the EU, following the intended referendum in 2017, particularly interesting and the possible serious adverse impact on the prosperity of Britain, in the short term, at least, was very sobering. I truly wonder how many of those people who stridently advocate Britain's withdrawal have ever considered this issue. Certainly, I see little evidence from the media that it has ever been given a detailed and balanced airing.

Well worth reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 3:00 PM BST

Echoes
Echoes

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album by the young Scottish Singer, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Echoes (MP3 Download)
I first came across Emily Smith some years ago when she was supporting Julie Fowlis, one of my very favourite singers. I thought at the time she was very good indeed. After the Show, she kindly signed an album of hers, which I purchased and which I still have. I downloaded this, her latest album, a short while ago and think it is first rate. Her very pure and sweet singing voice are highlights for me and both her backing group and the recording quality are excellent. There is not a bad track and I was particularly intrigued by the last one, which is very reminiscent of one of the movements of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony!

Well worth listening to!

Concerto Antico for Guitar and Small Orchestra: III. Cantilena
Concerto Antico for Guitar and Small Orchestra: III. Cantilena

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful recent discovery!, 16 April 2014
I have for a long time loved classical guitar music and much admire the musicianship of one of the guitar's greatest exponents, John Williams, who seems to get better and better as the years pass by. I was, however, totally unaware of Concerto Antico until I heard part of it played on Classic FM. I instantly liked what I heard and have since downloaded the whole work. Cantilena is both the longest and also the most heartfelt movement, but the whole work is very enjoyable and the composer, Richard Harvey, who, I confess, was not previously known to me, must be congratulated on composing such a delightful, tuneful and memorable work, for which I for one am deeply grateful.

I cannot imagine any guitarist performing Concerto Antico better than John Williams, whose playing is quite impeccable and the orchestral playing and recording quality are also first rate.

Vaughan Williams: Early and Late Works - World Premiere Recordings
Vaughan Williams: Early and Late Works - World Premiere Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars A real revelation!, 4 April 2014
I have loved Vaughan Williams' music since my adolescence and thought until listening to this album that I had heard and was very familiar with all of his best and most well known music. This album was thus a complete surprise in that previously I had no idea that some of his music being of undoubted real quality had never been recorded. Dutton must be greatly commended for unearthing these lovely pieces, all beautifully performed with excellent sound and I entirely share the views expressed by the previous reviewer.

This is a must purchase for all lovers of the music of this great composer.

Marriage Material
Marriage Material

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take on the lives of the Sikh community in the UK., 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Marriage Material (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, which I felt was well written and the writer also displayed a wry sense of humour. I confess previously I had had little knowledge of Sikh culture and the pressures this caused upon younger people who grew up in this Country. As the main character had formed a relationship with an English girl, the tensions arising from this were also vividly illustrated. Clearly, as is still apparent to this day, the notion of arranged marriages was still very much favoured by older members of the community and the caste system, which still operates within parts of Indian Society, was also described in some detail.

I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to learn more about the modus operandi of an increasingly important part of our multi-ethnic society.

How Long Will I Love You
How Long Will I Love You

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely song touchingly performed., 19 Feb 2014
I first heard this song when watching Children in Need. I liked it immediately. I knew of Ellie Goulding, but had never previously heard her perform. My music tastes are mainly classical and folk, but I lIke to listen to any music, which is well written and performed. This certainly fits the bill in both respects and I now intend to try more of her recordings in future. Her voice has a fragile quality, which is well suited to the song. It will be interesting to discover how she handles songs, which are perhaps less naturally suited to her voice.

Scandinavian String Music
Scandinavian String Music

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of Scandinavian string music, some well known and some not so well known., 3 Feb 2014
I acquired this album as a download, partly because of the other excellent reviews and, in particular, because I wanted a modern recording of the Wiren work, of which I am especially fond. I entirely echo the other reviews. All of the music is very tuneful and most enjoyable. The performances and recording quality are exemplary and I am much enjoying playing the music, via my iPad, through my newly acquired gadget, a Bose Soundlink Mini wireless speaker. This particular album indeed sounds quite spectacular when played through the Bose.

Well worth acquiring, especially bearing in mind the very reasonable cost.

Sally Beamish: Spinal Chords
Sally Beamish: Spinal Chords

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving work marvellously performed by the Orchestra and especially by the reader, Juliet Stevenson., 30 Jan 2014
My Wife and I are avid readers of Melanie Reid's column in the Times and the script for this work was written by her and concerns the aftermath of her dreadful riding accident, the music having been composed by her friend, Sally Beamish. The music is very sparely written, consisting, in the main, of long string chords (hence the title), over which Juliet Stevenson reads most admirably the excellent script, which is in many ways heartbreaking, but also full of Melanie Reid's usual black humour and ultimately very uplifting.

MAR A THA MO CHRIDHE(AS MY HEART IS)
MAR A THA MO CHRIDHE(AS MY HEART IS)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album from this marvellous Gaelic singer., 30 Jan 2014
I have already acquired all of her other albums and this is her first one. Perhaps, my favourite is still her one called "Uam" (from me), but this is very good and well illustrates both her marvellous singing quality and and also her instrumental skills. I have seen her perform live on a number of occasions and have also been able to have a chat with her. She came across as a very pleasant and unassuming girl and deserves all the considerable acclaim she has received, despite almost always singing in a language which is spoken by a comparatively small number of people and certainly not by me!

Well worth purchasing this!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8