Profile for Stephen Churley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Lawes: Consort Music
Lawes: Consort Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal 1960's Lawes Disc. Buy it!, 15 Nov 2012
This is the disc that introduced me to the wild and wacky world of Lawes when I was in my teens. I have loved Lawes ever since. I have worn out the original Argo LP so I was so glad to discover it is now available as an MP3. I would still recommend this disc as the best starting point into Lawes as it combines the more transparent harp consorts with the denser textures of the 5 (and particularly) 6 part consorts. Led by the inestimable Thurston Dart from the organ this is a superlative disc that conveys the finesse and rumbustiousness of Lawes's unique sound world in equal measure. There have been many other discs since this was produced in the 1960's and I would especially recommend the Harp Consorts by Les Voix Humaines and the 5 and 6 part Consorts by Phantasm. But there is something special about this recording that I find very revealing about the character of Lawes and which sends a shiver down my spine. This MP3 is an essential purchase.

Graupner: Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol 4 - Partien auf das Clavier (1718) GWV 104, 105 & 107 /Soly

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy all Graupner harpsichord CDs by Genevieve Soly!, 5 Oct 2012
I heard of this series after I bought the excellent Naxos CD of Graupner harpsichord works played by Naoko Akutagawa. The music is very good, a cross between Bach and Handel with a French touch and a little Buxtehude thrown in, but I found it hard to believe that Graupner justified the expense of buying all 7 CDs of his harpsichord works played by Genevieve Soly. I was wrong. I have now bought ALL 7 CDs and I'm amazed at the quality of this forgotten music. There is the occasional movement which is not that interesting but overall each Partita needs to heard, and Graupner has a personality of his own. Soly's playing is very good. Just occasionally I felt the music required a little more French inegalite, and I think her playing gets better (from a good start) as the series goes on as she relaxes into Graupner's idiom. When you consider that Graupner was the preferred candidate for Thomaskantor in Leipzig, and that JSB only got the job after Graupner's employer refused to release him, then you have to take Graupner seriously!

Graupner:  Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol 3 - Partien GWV 103 & 150; Februarius GWV 110 /Soly
Graupner: Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol 3 - Partien GWV 103 & 150; Februarius GWV 110 /Soly

Graupner: Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol 5 - Darmstädter Clavierbuch /Soly

Graupner: Partitas for Harpsichord, Vol 1 /Soly

Corelli: Sonate per Viola da Gamba & basso continuo op. 5
Corelli: Sonate per Viola da Gamba & basso continuo op. 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this as well as the violin version, 15 Aug 2012
These sonatas must be even more difficult to play on the bass viol than on the violin. Guido Balestracci says that on the bass viol the sonatas require "a very refined school of bowing, a left hand technique that is very advanced and the employment of a relatively small instrument that permits the maximum of agility and when necessary a bright, direct sound with an immediate impact, so different from the 7-string French viol and with undoubtedly less aggressive sound production". I think he succeeds magnificently. This is a real interpretation that makes these sonatas sound northern European with deeper sonorities, subtle shading and half-lights. The bass viol conveys more melancholy in the slow movements than the violin but the fast movements are played with passion, delicacy and exhuberance. For my taste it works superbly, but I am very partial to the bass viol. Indeed, these sonatas could well be the most virtuoso and exuberant works in the viol repertory. But I would recommend also buying a good version on the violin too. The Monica Huggett set is excellent.

W Lawes: Consorts to the Organ
W Lawes: Consorts to the Organ

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding music, performance and sleeve notes, 27 Jun 2012
Decades ago I bought the old Argo record (still not transferred to CD but it is now on MP3 - see my review) of Lawes's consorts played by the Elizabethan Consort with Thurston Dart at the organ, and since then I have been hooked on William Lawes's music. A true original, there is no other composer for viols (apart from Purcell) who can match his harmonic daring and emotional complexity. As Samuel Johnson said of John Donne's poetry: "the most heterogeneous ideas are yoked by violence together". There is angst and edge in this music mixed with a sweetness, rumbustiousness, and striving for serenity in 'distracted times'. And there is a very English awkwardness and insularity which I love. The most apt comparison really does seem to be with either the late Beethoven quartets or even the Bartok quartets, although those works are more outward facing than the introspective world of Lawes.

This CD contains essentially Lawes's greatest works and the performances are stunning. Phantasm handle the complex textures of the 5 and 6 part consorts, which can sound muddy in the wrong hands, brilliantly. Like a great string quartet you sense that the personality of each player is clearly coming through. Phantasm brings out the way Lawes pits the instruments against each other, sometimes with a violent struggle, while still maintaining the necessary decorum and shape of each work. In fact the way in which Lawes works within the decorum of his times and yet continually subverts and distorts it has never been conveyed so passionately.

In his sleeve notes Laurence Dreyfus gives an insightful personal commentary on each piece which enhances the listening pleasure of the music. The recording is also excellent.

This is a real corker of a disc that ought to win awards. Buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7