Profile for Snail > Reviews

The Golden Compass [DVD] [2007]
The Golden Compass [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

5.0 out of 5 stars A good film, 4 April 2013
I'd have to agree that the difficulty of transferring a book to a film (with limited watching time) is difficult. However not withstanding this, they have made a good film here, which encapsulates much of what the book is about. The acting is excellent and the script is also good. The special effects are excellent.

I had slight concerns about the changes to the timing of events and also some of the (minor) plot changes. However I can understand why these have happened.

The religious side comes over quite well, as fans of the books will know this side of the plot develops over the whole trilogy, so I think this has been well handled to date.

My advice is to watch it and to enjoy it!

Catriona
Catriona

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Catriona (Kindle Edition)
A really good sequel to kidnapped. I knew Kidnapped as a child, but had never heard of the sequel, so this came as a pleasant surprise. If you liked Kidnapped, you'll probably like this.

Mute
Mute

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mute (Kindle Edition)
After many years of wanting to read the full version of Mute, I splashed out on a Kindle and bought it. It's a great read and well worth buying. Psi-animals and psi-humans battle with lobos for control of the all powerful central computer.

Weeds: The Story of Outlaw Plants
Weeds: The Story of Outlaw Plants
by Richard Mabey

3.0 out of 5 stars Weeds - interesting but the accuracy!, 8 Nov 2010
I quite liked the book, but the accuracy of the some of the content and the grammar were both poor. For instance Japanese knotweed (the number 1 weed in the UK) was confused with Japweed - a totally different weed! (Note to author: Japweed is an invasive seaweed, not a name used by anyone else for Japanese knotweed...). Giant Hogweed is a short lived perennial, taking between 5-7 years to set seed and then die, it is not normally regarded as a biennial. All of this information could and should have been checked prior to publication. The level of detail and accuracy in this chapter 'Triffids'was (in my view) very poor indeed. If this had been presented to me by a student, it would have failed.

A 4-page synopsis of the Day of the Triffids (a fictional weed) was again marred by incorrect statements. I would also ask why 4 pages were necessary for this? Did the author have to fill the chapter and couldn't be bothered to think of another (more relevant) topic? Further pages were used up discussing fictional weed scenarios and apparently promoting other books! This chapter could have been so much better and more interesting. Does the author need photographs showing these weeds and the damage they can do? I'm happy to supply them!

To me this book (and large parts of it were enjoyed by me) has been finished in a rush. Several chapters need extensive re-writing to correct poor (and confusing) use of English and accuracy needs to be thoroughly checked. The author's opinions on Japanese knotweed cannot be taken seriously when he has throughly mis-understood/mistaken much of its biology and history, although this may be partly understood by his apparently confusing two totally different invasive weeds.

As I have already stated, I did enjoy large parts of the book and like the author's style of writing in the earlier chapters, but this enjoyment has been frustrated by other parts of the book. I would say to the author, please re-write/edit this book, chuck out or condense areas and expand other areas, sort the accuracy out. I love weeds and wild flowers, and with a little extra work this book could be great, but as it stands (in my view) it isn't!
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 8:13 PM GMT

Dyson DC04 Silver Yellow Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC04 Silver Yellow Upright Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for cleaning, 24 Jan 2005
I purchased a DC04 4.5 years ago and had no problems with it! I use it regularly and with a dog, have plenty of hair to pick up. It's good to use, nice height for me (I'm 6'2") and has plenty of power. It recently wore out (and wasn't economic to repair) so I've replaced it with another DC04!
This one is also working well - best cleaner I've ever had...
Reservations? well it is heavy, but this is necessary to provide the power. It's certainly strong and tough - most of my previous cleaners struggled to make 3 years with me!
Happy dyson-ing