Profile for Martin > Reviews

The Untold History of the United States
The Untold History of the United States
by Oliver Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been lied to my who life, 24 Jan 2014
I have been lied to my who life. That's how it feels after reading this book. I thought I was fairly aware of the fact that successive American governments in my life time, were not the good guys that they, and quite often the press, would have us believe. However in truth I had no idea how devastating American foreign policy was for the World. How many people have died, directly and indirectly, so that the Right Wing and American corporations can fulfil their agendas. How many democratically elected Governments around the World were deposed with support from the CIA, to be replaced by brutal regimes that tortured, murdered and robbed their own people, so that American corporations could monopolise industries there and the American government had a friendly regime they could deal with. Also it appears that increasingly the civil liberties of Americans themselves have been eroded away, and continue to be. Which clearly shows that this very small but inordinately powerful group of people care for nobody except themselves.

I hope the 99% protest that started with 'Occupy Wall Street' does not go away. It needs to keep pushing and protesting and voting so that there is a fundamental shift to who holds the power in the States.....because it isn't ordinary Americans.

A very well written book that gives you the facts to see clearly yourself what is really going on. More Americans need to read this or watch the TV series and not have the blind faith that many of them seem to have about their leaders.