Profile for K. Mcnulty > Reviews

Content by K. Mcnulty

K. Mcnulty (London)

Page: 1 | 2
WMA Handy Football Basketball Soccer Ball Sport Inflating Pump w/ A Needle - come with a needle - Small yet powerful
Offered by Sunny Market

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 2 May 2014
Absolutely rubbish and came without needle. Alsoi when it did break there was a stench of some kind of horrible chemical. Avoid. Why oh why did I not read these reviews beforehand!?

Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek City-State
Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek City-State
by Mogens Herman Hansen

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, brief and repetitive, 12 Aug. 2013
This isn't a good book. It fails as in introduction because so it is on incredibly boring, unimaginative and repetitive. I was imagining some vignettes from ancient polis life would have been given or perhaps a few quotations from say inscriptions or even a few maps or pictures. None of these appear. What we get however is a very, very dull and incredibly repetitive (suprisingly so because it is so brief at 146 pages - although notes and bibliograpy pad it out to 235) comparative study and some not very enlightening speculations on what I suppose you could call ancient human geography and economics. It is hard to know which market this was pitched at. It fails as an introduction for the layman and I can't imagine it being used as a university text. The notes, bibliograpy and index of literary ancient sources are however, very thorough.

It does seem to be a summary of the work of the Copenhagen Polis Centre (whose website also isn't very good). Very disapppointing and overpriced.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 7:14 PM BST

Sex Drive [DVD] [2008]
Sex Drive [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Seth Green
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars I really really liked it and it made me laugh a lot, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sex Drive [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I'm quite a miserable but this film really made me laugh. This film has a shape it is not incredibly original but it is very well crafted, it has very good performances especially from Clark Duke as the unlikely charismatic babe magnet and the lead Josh Zuckerman is also excellent. The supporting cast is good god it's also got Seth Green in it doing a turn as a super cool if sarcastic Amish Guy. It made me laugh and what also impressed me is that it had a good heart - which is refreshing.

Red Lights [DVD] (2012)
Red Lights [DVD] (2012)
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Red Lights [DVD] (2012) (DVD)
I've just seen this so I'm very fresh. The film has some good actors who on this occasion have made a very unwise choice in the parts they chose. The film is dire, confused, boring and showed signs of at the end of collapsing under the weight of its own silliness. It is not in the slightest bit scary or suspenseful and looks cheap. I was intrigued by the concept , the trailer looked good and the cast is top notch although with not much to work with. It is not a good film however.

It does has some redeeming features however and they are the performances in supporting parts from Leonardo Sbaraglia and Elizabeth Ohlsen who I thought made the most of what they had.

Poor Cillian Murphy first " In Time" and now this. What is his agent doing to him?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 3:13 PM GMT

Vanishing on 7th Street [DVD]
Vanishing on 7th Street [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayden Christensen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit rubbish, 9 Jun. 2012
I've just watched this so I'm as fresh as daisy. It started well but rapidly went downhill. The actors do a good job with an ordinary script and unsympathetic characters (I'm a fan of John Leguizamo and he is reliable even here); the sound is terrible - I had to rewind a few times as I wanted to know what the actors were saying; music OK; CGI a bit rubbish and cheap; plot holes galore. Disappointing ending.

Although I'm fine with watching films with limited plot exposition so you can use your own imagination fly away and so you can fill in the gaps yourself I think the writers of this movie didn't have enough skill to pull it off in this instance.

I'd wait for it to arrive on a free-view channel if there is nothing else is on.

Rubz Classics Unisex Watch RUB001 (Pack Of 4 Silicon Band Watches Black, White, Purple & Red)

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 28 April 2012
These are very low quality. I bought some a packet because they were cheap but they I had the same experience as the other reviewer. Two didn't work and the others fell apart within days. Production costs for these are probably about 20p if that. Avoid.

Callisto Strategy Game
Callisto Strategy Game
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Callisto Strategy Game (Toy)
I really love this game. I have a collection of about 70 board games so I'm a bit of a nerd. This is a game, however, that you do not have to be a nerd to have and to play. I've introduced it to my two kids - 8 and 6 who love it. I've introduced it to people at work who love it. I've introduced it to my sisters who love it. I've introduced it to friends who love it. I've introduced it to my board games club and the people who played it (experienced board gamers ) loved it was well. (They suggest playing it ten times and totting up the score to even it out).

It's simple to learn - about 30 seconds! - and is very good fun with quite a bit of player interaction, I've found anyway " look what he's doing over there block him, forget about me" kind of thing. It scales well 2,3 and 4 players work equally well. It's designed by Reiner Knizia one of the worlds leading board games designers. Yes I am enthusiastic about it and believe me I am hard to please. I say get it for Christmas especially if you have kids.

World Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures: The Ultimate Visual Reference to 1000 Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures of Land, Air and ... the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Eras
by Dougal Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatosauras, 26 Jan. 2012
Firstly, apologies for the review title.
This compact reference book is excellent and quite superb value. The illustrations are top notch (proper drawn illustrations rather than computer drawn ones)and the commentary very good. It is very well designed. As well as being about dinosaurs it also has ancient amphibians and ancient reptiles and fish as well as prehistoric mammals. Also topics included are things like fossil formation - handy when debating creationists - and habitats. It's equally superb value. I was expecting it to be about £40 or something. I think it would be a very good accompaniment to watching the BBCs "Walking with.." series. That's what I'm going to do.
My boys 8 and 6 loved it - but I kept it for myself because I am a rotter.

Hidden [DVD]
Hidden [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Clement
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 19 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Hidden [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely awful. Unscary; cliched; badly directed;repetative to the point of nausea; too long (it was 1 hour 20 minutes but felt like 500 years in purgatory even with my prodigious use of the fast forward button); badly written - it was like it was written by someone with no talent whose first language wasn't English then translated into Arabic and then re-translated by a faulty machine into horrorese; badly acted - Jeez those poor actors, in particular Jason Blicker as "Simon" who has got to be in the running for the anti Oscar for worst supporting actor.

They apparently, according to the IMDB, spent $8 000 000 on this dire rubbish. I only hope it was some kind of tax rebate thing or it was Zimbabwean dollars they spent. A Canadian Italian co-production. Are you getting the picture yet? Rather than watch this do some housework, you will feel better and won't feel cheated. Thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2012 11:07 AM BST

Gate of Air: A Ghost Story
Gate of Air: A Ghost Story
by James Buchan

1.0 out of 5 stars Upper class twaddle, 21 Feb. 2011
A young man who has had an incredible life, decides, after making a fortune in the city ,to retire to the country and get way from it all to stew in his solitude. After various interactions with local types: estate agents, a farm manager, a local lord <snigger> and other types strange things start to happen. Is it the ghost of Jean Thinne a sixties model who lived locally in the past <further snigger>. Is he going mad? Is he suffering from Post Traumatic Stress from his time working in a hospital in Baghdad or perhaps it's the after effect from some undiagnosed exotic disease from all the time he's worked abroad despite being only around 30. Perhaps its something even stranger possibly connected with the....But I don't want to ruin it for you.

I found this book to be crap. Not to say that in parts it isn't well written, it has passages of very poetic description, but the characters are unbelievable with the most atrocious dialogue. It's also unbelievable that this got published in this form and unbelievable that reviewers gave it so much praise - I shall never believe anything that Stephen Poole or Alan Massie say about another novel in future. Who reads this stuff? Well me obviously as I love a good ghost story and it was only two quid in a remainder bin.

Is this satire? Is it a beautifully crafted examination of the English Countryside? Is it a deeply rich allegorical vision? No, it's a Mills and Boon novella written with patrician disdain by someone who wished they lived on Mount Olympos.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2012 10:00 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2