Profile for Johnny > Reviews

Content by Johnny

Johnny (WELLINGBOROUGH, United Kingdom)

I Can Make You Thin - Love Food, Lose Weight: New Full Colour Edition (includes free DVD and CD)
by Paul McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Paul!, 1 Sep 2013
I’ve struggled with my weight in the 20 years since I left school. I knew how to stop getting morbidly obese, I did this by educating myself about what foods make you put on weight. But in recent years my job has become less and less physical and have really struggled to stop the weight creeping up. I needed a certain amount of food throughout the day (or so I thought) and I only had a certain amount of time for exercise. The result was my weight going up half a stone each year.

This book and DVD have been simply life-changing for me. The CD is good as well. I didn't finish the book, I only read the first half which is the most important bit. The results have been outstanding – 8 pounds lost in less than 3 weeks. I feel better – I feel like a different person – and I look different. I need to go down a size in jeans soon. The book teaches that there will always be enough food about, you don’t have to finish everything on your plate, and it does not help the starving children in Africa if you eat every last bit of food that you are served. It teaches you that you have most likely always been eating past the point at which your body is satisfied, but you carry on eating for a wide range of complex reasons.

I now eat less than my children who are 4, 7 & 10! But I am never hungry. I am not eating as ‘healthily’ as I was. I am eating what I want, this is one of the main rules. The rule that I think works the most is to Eat Consciously. We so often eat whilst watching telly, looking at a computer or ipad or whilst driving etc. I only eat now, I don’t do anything else at the same time. I have a ‘time’ for food. And I’ve fallen (back) in love with food.

I cooked a recipe from a dieting book today and I didn’t enjoy it at all. It made me feel miserable. And now I know that dieting and eating foods and recipes that I didn’t genuinely enjoy just made me miserable. I love cooking now, and I know that I am in control of food instead of food being in control of me. I go to McDonalds with the family now and have a small hamburger with a few chips. This is all I need and I enjoy it. If we went to McDonalds before I’d moan about it and I’d think well what the hell I’m in a place where I’m eating ‘naughty’ food so I might as well go nuts. I’d have a large quarter pounder meal and then go back for something else. Then I’d go home feeling miserable because I’d been out and been naughty at McDonalds! I probably eat slightly more often than I did, but when I have a meal I probably eat about half of what I did. I really can’t imagine where I used to put it all!

The best thing about this new way of eating and of living is that I can’t imagine ever going back to how I was before. I enjoy what I eat and I eat exactly what I want instead of what I think I should eat. Thanks Paul!

Easi-Load Heavy Duty Builders BarrowGalvanised
Easi-Load Heavy Duty Builders BarrowGalvanised
Offered by DF Sales Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for trade, 1 July 2013
The barrow came flat packed, which we didn't have a problem with. But It is very flimsy, if you fill it only two thirds with sand or stone or something the whole thing buckles. Would be okay for pottering about in the garden I suppose.

More balls than most: Juggle your way to success with proven company shortcuts
More balls than most: Juggle your way to success with proven company shortcuts
by Lara Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for any existing business owner, 11 May 2013
I think the reason this book was so helpful to me was that it seemed to be geared towards those already running businesses, compared to so many business books that seem to act as inspiration to start a new business. I think the main reason for this is that the bulk of the book - which is part autobiography and part a 'this is how you do it' instruction manual' - relates to the period of time for Lara that she had already set up her business, had been established for a few years, and still continued to grow and develop both her and her business exponentially.

The biggest lessons I took from this book included

i) never stop selling to your customer and keeping constant contact with your customer - so many business owners delegate this job too soon I think, and so Lara thinks as well.

ii) Never stop learning - Lara attended business courses when she had been in business for many years, and when she was already extremely successful. Many business owners would have thought by this stage that they 'had made it' and couldn't be taught much more than they already know.

iii) Never stop working. Lara never took it easy until she sold her business for I think £20 million (only a couple of years after having been offered just a few million - which she turned down)

iv)Retain all your equity - Lara religiously kept over 99% of the equity of the business for herself, in order that when she sold it (this was always her intention) it would all be hers and she wouldn't have to go sharing it 50/50 etc with others. She not only preaches this, but gives clear instructions on how to go about borrowing money from banks etc., as opposed to giving away equity.

Definitely a book that I will continue to dip into and refer to for many years to come!!

Peaks and Troughs: The Ups and Downs in the Life of a Liverpool Entrepreneur
Peaks and Troughs: The Ups and Downs in the Life of a Liverpool Entrepreneur
by Phil Birtwistle

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 31 Mar 2013
I bought this book as - judging from the title - i thought it was going to tell Phil Birtwhistle's entrepreneurial journey. It didn't really do this though, The first third of the book was generally about his childhood and the second third about his early adult life, but as an employee and not as somebody setting up his own business. The last third of the book told the story of how he set up a car dealership, and then 'MerseyMart' but the business seemed to have been set up and become successful over the course of about one or two chapters. It's a good read if you want to hear a few good jokes etc., but I bought it hoping to get a bit of inspiration from somebody who set up a business and had a good rags to riches story to tell, and plenty of business advice chucked in and it just didn't happen.

Double Your Business: How to Break Through the Barriers to Higher Growth, Turnover and Profit (Financial Times Series)
by Lee Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, 14 Jan 2013
I run a business turning over between half a million and a million, and I honestly believe that if you are in this bracket, then this is the book you need! You probably could make good use of it if you are out of this bracket, but the book assumes that you are not that successful that you don't need any help, and not that small that you aren't able to spend time on your business and put new ideas and systems etc into practice.
There is a lot of really useful stuff in there particularly on marketing. The best example he uses in the book "If Duncan Bannatyne (or similar) walked into your business tomorrow what he would do differently? What would he change? Would he leave everything as it is? Would he make a success out of it?" Well of course he would, what would he/somebody else do? And this book gives you an insight into what a successful person would do to your business, then you just do the same!
I've completely changed the way I organise my day as a result of this book. The second thing I've done is to start to systemise my business ready for somebody else to do different parts of my job so I can spend even more time expanding the business and putting into action some of the things I've read in this book.
Well done Lee, this is in my list of 5 most useful business books that I've ever read. If you buy the book, just make sure you put these things into practice, you'll soon reap the rewards without a shadow of a doubt."

Kitchen Gangster?: The Story of a Serial Entrepreneur
Kitchen Gangster?: The Story of a Serial Entrepreneur
by John Newton

5.0 out of 5 stars What an inspiration, 27 Feb 2011
I bought this book hoping to find that Vance Miller is a different person to whom I thought he was. And that's exactly what happened. It's naturally hard to believe at first that Vance is the victim of a conspiracy to oust him from Maple Mill in order that the Council can regenerate the area, but the author more or less proves that that is the case. Vance's style is different to that of the average businessman to say the least, but it has worked for him and made him a complete success story even though it doesn't appear to have made him very rich as far as his lifestyle is concerned. As the owner of a small business I often find myself under stress and in sticky financial situations. But having read this book I feel that I can overcome anything that life throws at me. A truly inspirational story.

How to Build a Great Business in Tough Times: The King of Shaves story
How to Build a Great Business in Tough Times: The King of Shaves story
by Will King

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not that good...., 23 Feb 2011
I had this book bought me for Christmas and I set about reading it Christmas day, as I love a good business autobiography. I'd say this is 10% autobiography and 90% about the story of this man's business which he set up, I admit against all odds. But the story is rather dull to say the least. There's a lot of technical talk involved which I didn't enjoy, and bearing in mind most people aren't that interested in shaving products I can't imagine many people sharing this man's passion for shaving and shaving products. The author clearly has done very well for himself - and against all odds - but I didn't find this book to be telling me anything very different from any other run-of-the-mill business books. And that's my main problem with this book; the author spends a lot of time at the beginning of the book promising that this book is different to any other business book, but it clearly isn't. Generally an 'alright' book and an aspiring entrepreneur might get a couple of pointers from it but I spent the whole of the book waiting for it to really get going... and it just didn't!