Profile for Jan Larsen > Reviews

Content by Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen "jan dk" (Denmark)

Page: 1 | 2
Savic Runner Large Toys, 25 Cm
Savic Runner Large Toys, 25 Cm
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Super - for Syrian/Golden Hamster (25cm), 4 Dec 2013
Exploring Hamster.
This really tells it all.
Our hamster had until this only every night had the bathroom floor to explore.

And, when he got in this ball, he began EXPLORING - and took on all rooms in the basement (7 rooms) - and was all excited, and full of energy and thirst when he got back to his cage, after 15-20 minutes.

BUT's / Negatives :
I had to "customize" the ball.
- First thing was 2 x 2 palstic-things, sticking inside, and being quite sharp and scratching - and, knowing our hamster, he will not like getting scratshed etc.
- Second: I ended up gluing all plastic tighteners (the 2 half-balls is put together with 6 pairs of tighteners).
- Third: 2 openings. We have put tape on one of the lids - in order to be sure that our Hamster doeesn't escape.

Plus: The ball seems quite solid. And, the lids is quite solid made.

Rosewood Boredom Breaker Natural Treat NatureS Salad, 200 g
Rosewood Boredom Breaker Natural Treat NatureS Salad, 200 g
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamster - good extra food, 4 Dec 2013
Our Hamster, seems to like this mix, very much.

It is then not only for larger animals, such as salat-eating ones like rabbits.

It seems to be a good addition and extra, for a Hamster, also.

Rosewood Healthy Fruit Salad 125 g
Rosewood Healthy Fruit Salad 125 g
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamster - delicious, 4 Dec 2013
Our Hamster, loves this fruit-mix, very much.

It is then not only for larger animals, such as salat-eating ones like rabbits.
Our Hamster also loves fresh fruit-pieces (apple etc.).

I haven't noticed seeds (toxic-problem) - and our bag has got a good versatile mix.

Pet Brands Animal Carrier Small
Pet Brands Animal Carrier Small
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars not child-friendly, 4 Dec 2013
a fine cage/box - but I miss this :
Small animals such as mice and hamsters, are typically also handled by smaller children.
And, for instance our is standing in between our kids, when we travel in our car on vacation - and then the problem arises :
The way to open the lid and to clean the cage, is not for kids.
The opening is even for me as a grown-up a challange, and I fear ruining the lid-handles and lock-mechanisms.

All in all a good box, for hamsters, rats, and animals up to 20-25cm in length - but narrows the handling to grown-ups, which I think is a shame.

The measures is "brutto" and doesn't calculate the round edges - making the cage more a 18x25cm WxL.

I miss a good simple-to-open transport-cage with a big button/floor, and with nearly vertical sides - a bit like the transportable plastic-terraries.

Ranex 6000.296 24 x LED Work Light Battery Powered
Ranex 6000.296 24 x LED Work Light Battery Powered
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars bright light, but too narrow beam, 4 Dec 2013
Bought it, in order to get "an office-lamp" inside our car (for map-reading etc.).
And, the lightbeam is too narrow for this.
The beam resembles a lamp-light with a "somewhat narrow good light", and an ambient lower light in the surrounding light-area.

Not the map-reading lamp that I hoped for - but still a good and bright lamp.
And, the case is nicely rubber-like, and the hook is a fine option for nail-hanging etc.

Stagg Junior Classical 1/2 Size Guitar
Stagg Junior Classical 1/2 Size Guitar
Price: 43.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good (rich sound, fine finish & and solid tuners), 6 Nov 2013
(was thinking 5 stars, but, some finish-related stuff and high weight make me give it 4 stars)

Facts :
- Length = 84cm, body-length = 40cm, body-width = 30cm (widest place), bodydepth = 8cm.
- Colours/Wood: Front = orange/lightbrown, sides/back = red/flare/brown.
- colours frets = "gold".
- Piano Glossy/Shiny surface.
- Strings: 3x metal (bass), 3x nylon (treble)

Subjective / Impression :
- nice glossy finish.
- long-lasting tone (not very dampered inside the-body, but quite loud and nice).
- Is quite heavy - seems like it is because of solid & heavy wood of the fretboard.
- I am quite pleased with it - and the weight-issue (which is too much for a child 6-9 y.o., and even for me as a grown up) will be taken care of, with a proper guitar-strap (like many other guitar's out there, it doesn't come with a strap or strap-button, so this has to be ordered seperate).
- The strings, being new, has to be adjusted, which my Snark-SN4 tuner helps a lot with.

Size-Wise :
- Size-wise it feels just perfect (to a 7-9 y.o.), and I was a bit worried and confused, as to if I should go for a 1/4 or 1/2 size, with a "higher than normal" 6 y.o. boy - as 1/2 size was only 15-17cm smaller in total length than my grown up, which is stil big and very unhandy for him.
- The thing is, that the body is quite smaller than my "grown-up 101cm model" - and the fretboard is somewhat the same in length as my grown-up model.
- I have included my measured sizes, to assist future buyers - as size differs, and it all can be very confusing, to buy online, from a not very detailed pic (and no pic showing the sides and back and tuners -by the way the tuners are "old-fashioned" Rococco-style, but does the job (stays in tune / doesn't move autonomously, have enough resistance/friction to stay put).

Conclusion: This is a good quitar, especially for a starter. And, I see it fitting 7-9 y.o. kids (the 9 y.o. can maybe choose the 3/4 size, depending on child-size). The thing about size is also, that it seems that people (including me, here) seem to think "big" and "bigger" instead of "mastering and overviewing" and "being able to reach quickly and easy" - so one buys a bit bigger, and the kid struggles and also wants to be bigger and "more grown up" ...
(I have experience with this, with a bicycle, when I was a kid - going on a small bicycle and mastering it (before Mountain-Bikes came around, and all bikes had relatively big wheels end size) - and I could go & manouvre where the larger bike-kids couldn't - I could "master my instrument/tool" ... this also applies to string-instruments: we want bigger and "future-proof" and maybe smaller will be the best. My boy now masters ukuleles (sopran to tenor), and he seems to handle the concert-size the best - so, here I am buying a "big baritone" for him ...
I hope to get back with this, to convey what happens in the next months-years, regarding him and his twin-sister playing the string-instrumetns and this guitar - how he feels with it (I actually also has bought it to inspire him, thinking that he will begin using it in 1-2 years from now, and just will try it out now-and-then, in the mean-time).

Pukanala Navigation Series Concert Ukulele
Pukanala Navigation Series Concert Ukulele
Price: 53.31

3.0 out of 5 stars a mixed bag, 5 Nov 2013
First: The Colour (which was something I was looking forward to experiencing - the uke looked special and wonderfull). Unfortunately the colour - in "real life" - is dark brown-red (which is a standard-wood-colour of ukes in this price-range, such as the "Lanikai LU-serie") - not bad, but not at all "as the picture".
Combined with the "matte (not glossy)" wood-finish, this makes this uke "a totally different uke, than the promising one shown on the amazon-pic".

Second: The clear black/darkbrown colour-lines and gear-head, diminishes and get quite dull-looking, because of the dark-brown body.
And, the "compass" also isn't standing out, as on the picture - it resembles a dull-transparent stamp.

The uke plays fine, although the volume of concert-ukuleles is clearly not as high as the tenor's.

The aquila strings add brightness, helped by the wood-cabinet (laminated, it seems / I think).

The sound/tone is good and bright. And the finish is good (just minor errors - such as a micro wood-pieces from the cut of the hole, and some frets sticking a little out (to feel once slipping fingers down the fretboard-sides - but, nothing harmfull or problematic).

All in all just a uke - and not any signs of the "Pukanala Feel and Atmosphere" that Pukanala advertises with, on the web (search and look for yourself, for instance the videos snapped at a promo-stand).
Company is Taiwanese, and not Hawaiian, as could be interpreted, as they write that "Pukana La" means Sunrise, and tries to copy the Hawaiian atmosphere and craftmanship.

Uke was "cheap" or comparable to Lanikai's LU-21C - I would although recommend to either look at a Tenor (I have the LU-21T which is dull-looking, but plays okay) - or look for a more expensive Concert-model ... or look for the Spalted wood models. I once tried a Oscar Schmith ?OU5? (spalted mango) and it looked and sounded very extra - unfortunately I didn't buy it then, and now price and availability makes it too expensive for me to get - but, it did sound and feel and look extraordinary, and I remember wanting to play extra with it, and feeling something extra.
This extra I haven't felt with either the Lanikai or the Pukanala - maybe, their more expensive models adds this to the experience.

The dull finish: I don't understand, why the low & mid-priced uke's has to be "not shiny/glossy" - for me this takes away the feeling to be holding a precious baby, and just makes these uke's feel like holding an expensive toy/tool/xx.

Lloytron Rechargeable 800mAh AA Batteries (4 Pack)
Lloytron Rechargeable 800mAh AA Batteries (4 Pack)
Offered by BargainShop_London
Price: 2.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Solar Cells ??? (having used them yet, but a technicians view), 5 Nov 2013
They are different .. all others go at around 2000mah charges (AA's)

Solar-Cell use (which I aim to use them for) :
- NiMH need to be fully discharged between use, or they will loose capacity (and then have to be recycled, that is dischearged-recharged 2-3 times, once in a while).
- If in solar cells, one uses 2000mah NiMH's, they will only charge "partially" (maybe 1/10) and they will only discharge very partially" (around 1/6-1/8) - for instance as the LED only can use maybe 12hours x 30ma during the night.
- The 800mah's comes very closer - they will be nearly all discharged (1/4-) and will theoretically keep their power/charge-potential much longer.

I have, however not tried this in practice with the Lloytron's but, lower capacity and "yesterdays battery-technology" could be just perceft for solar cells.

(I think, however, that they have to be "burned in" - that is charged and discharged around 2-3 times, before use. This is true for all rechargeables, and many people doesn't do this (you need an advanced & good battery charger, that can do this) - and probably they need, as other NiMH's, to be "burned in" once each year, if capacity is to be kept).
(the rechargeable batteries should then be able to last 5-15 years - at around 200 charges per year (because that 100% capacity isn't needed, so wearing out with lower capacity shouldn't be a problem here)).
Our solar cells: Our problem has been dirt, ants building homes in the lamp, bad connections, spiderwebs, etc., and usually batteries start working once this is sorted out. I have so far not given the already-installed batteries a "burn in", but I will before installing the Lloytron's - since it is very easier before installing, and since we have one of the good chargers (Powerex C9000) that can do this (and more).

(3 stars: Because the review is general, and I haven't used/tried the Lloytrons yet)

AmazonBasics AA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 16 Pack 2,000 mAh
AmazonBasics AA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 16 Pack 2,000 mAh
Price: 19.02

5.0 out of 5 stars as promised, 5 Nov 2013
backed up by amazon's name, and wish to keep a good customer-relationship, they also work super.
They hold in practice their power/charge.

They are also cheap, which is nice, when ahving to buy a lot, to change from alkalines to rechargeable.

Compared to rechargeables: Extremely nice to know, that one doesn't have to charge before use. This was very annoying with the normal NiMH batteries we have used the past 10 years (never knowing og remembering how long time since we charged them, and so having to recharge each time, etc.).

Friedland EvoPlus D3005 Wire-Free Portable Chime Kit (Metal)
Friedland EvoPlus D3005 Wire-Free Portable Chime Kit (Metal)
Price: 31.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good! (range, no-error-doorbelling), 5 Nov 2013
Good range (150m outdoor, and we tried around 15 meters indoor through 5 stone-walls and through a plastic/metal-door).

Is loud, has good sound (although the sampling-sound on these devices is usually 8-bit, which can be heard when turning the volume all up).

And: It stays all quiet unless someone press the button. Which is also promised by Friedland/Honeywell (coding of the transmitting/receiving of the signal) - reason: We live close to a big chicken-firm, and they have quite a lot of electric noise-makers, that has interferred with our remotes, wireless equipment etc - but in the 1 month we have had this doorbell, there has not been one time, where the doorbell has gone off accidentially, so the coding is effective.

Looks: The receiver looks funny, like a speaker - and it is actually also a speaker - and it is around 12cm high and 4cm deep, and 8cm wide - and we use it to hold books in our office/music-room.

Can recommend, without hesitation.

Page: 1 | 2