Profile for Elinor Martell > Reviews

Co-Dependents Anonymous
Co-Dependents Anonymous
by Coda

5.0 out of 5 stars You Helpful and Supportive Resource, 22 July 2013
This excellent book is a clear and reassuring resource for anyone battling with co dependent behaviour, or who knows someone who is suffering.

Using the 12 Step programme, this is the 'big blue book' for CODA meetings, and the recognised source book for the programme.

Recommended for anyone who needs help in this area.

Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999]
Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Carrey Is Perfect As Andy Kaufman, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
It seems that Jim Carrey was born to play Andy Kaufman, they have the same kind of cute crazy surreal comedy. Also Carrey's portrayal of Kaufman is very accurate ( after we'd watched this film we saw some of Kaufman's orginal comedy routines footage on YouTube). Kaufman was so ahead of his time, regarding his comedy. In the UK we had Monty Python, but the USA just couldn't get Kaufman's comedy, and it seems that his genius was only really recognised many years later. The film also shows Kaufman's spiritual side, and the rather gentle, innocent personality that he had, which also influenced his comedy. Essentially his was really connected to a child like creative energy and had a tremedous imagination, that helped him create such ingenious comedy ideas. Like many pioneers, he wasn't given full recognition in his time, but this film does a lot to acknowledge him. It also was a very tender and affectionate portrayal of his life, that used many of the old Taxi cast and others who know or worked with Kaufman, showing that he was thought of fondly by many. This isi a really lovely, sweet, and very funny film !

5 Mile Fat Burning Walk [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
5 Mile Fat Burning Walk [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Leslie Sansone
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is One Of My All Time Favourites !, 3 April 2013
I really love this dvd, and do it every day. The results speak for themselves. I've lost weight and also tighted up my core and toned my body overall. I love the way that this dvd also uses a 'multi muscle' approach to exercise, so you're not just walking. That way you get to keep your body in the fat burning zone, but also you are toning your body at the same time. It's low impact enough to do if you have to avoid high impact exercises, but having said that you really can build up a good sweat and you feel like you've really worked out afterwards ! So it's great if you've recovering from an injury, like me, but still want an exercise dvd to delivery results. You can also chose to do as many miles in one workout as you like. However I find myself wanting to do the whole 5 miles everyday, as I love walking, and this dvd never gets boring to do. Also my heart rate monitor says that I'm burning anything from 600 to 800 calories when I do the complete 5 miles a day, which is pretty excellent going really !

Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Leslie Sansone
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Flexible Workout Variety, 3 April 2013
This dvd has 4 separate workouts, each one can be used individually or , as I've sometimes done when I've had more energy, combined. I got this dvd so that I could mix and match my workouts and do more 'cross training' type exercises, so that I could increase my progress. Each workout is a different length of time and has different moves, so you can either pick one or more a day, depending on how much energy you have and how much you want to work out. I find this a reallly good compliment dvd to my other strength/resistance training, high impact, dvds, and will often combine this dvd with others in my collection, to get better results. I've also taken this dvd with me when travelling, as the selection of workouts on it means you can keep your training fresh and more interesting, than just using the same old exercise routine on another dvd.

Leslie Sansone Walk At Home 5 Day Slim Down DVD
Leslie Sansone Walk At Home 5 Day Slim Down DVD
Offered by Online4DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Low Impact Fat Buring Workout, 3 April 2013
I've used Leslie Sansone dvds in the past, when I've been unable to get to a gym or walk/run outside. Her workouts are brilliant and really do the job. I've already lost pounds in weight and my core and general muscle strength have improved. I also love how this dvd uses a 'multi muscle' approach when walking, which means that your heart rate is kept up in the fat burning zone and also you get to tone your upper and lower body as a complete workout. Yet again, I'm very pleased with this dvd and due to the low impact of the exercise I can use it everyday without muscle soreness or needing rest days, however, as said before, it also gives a complete body conditioning too, so results occur quickly.

Stephen Biesty's Incredible Body
Stephen Biesty's Incredible Body
by Stephen Biesty

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Fascinating for Kids !, 13 Nov 2012
This book was recommended to me by an eyesight specialist, who said it would help my son improve his vision as part of his daily eye exercises. The reason for this is that the drawings are incredibly detailed and so the eye has to focus on small, intricate pictures.

Although I bought it initially for this purpose, the book itself is simply wonderful. I love the author's imagination and creativity, not to mention the sheer amount of work he must have put in to create the pictures. This book makes science and biology really fun and my son and I love reading it together.

Despite its playfulness this book is scientifically accurate and informative, and it's such a good way to get kids interested in science. They don't realise that they're actually learning because they're so captivated and entertained. I wish we had access to this kind of book when I was at school!

Profiles in Oriental Diagnosis: Vegetarian Bride of Frankenstein v. 2 (Profiles in Oriental Diagnosis II, the Scientific Revolution)
by Alex Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars "You Really Are (and Do) What You Eat"., 13 Nov 2012
I really love this book! I read it in one day because I found the author's historical perspective fascinating.

The author, Alex Jack is a macrobiotic practitioner who has studied the lives and works of various historically famous people, such as artists, writers and philosophers, and created this assessment of their personalities and genius from the viewpoint of the types of food that they ate throughout their lives, their constitution, and other conditioning lifestyle factors that affected them. He also brings in 9 Star Ki (a Chinese system similar to astrology) to explain certain forces that may have influenced significant events in these people's lives.

As a history graduate I studied the Enlightenment and Romanticism, but never from this novel perspective! And I have to say that it works. The author presents a good case for the old axiom "You are what you eat" significantly so that the types of food/diet you eat will affect and alter not just your face and body, but also your personality, creativity, psychological and emotional state, and therefore, in the cases of these famous people described in the book, be directly responsible for the type of work and art they did, and their professional and personal life choices.

It's such a clever and unique way to interpret history, and provides much convincing evidence for the power of food to alter consciousness and therefore affect the world politically and culturally. After reading this book I'll be viewing history through a slightly different lens. The writing is elegant and clear, and the arguments are convincing. And it takes a certain amount of 'right brain' and wholistic way of thinking to interpret western history using eastern philosophies.

Alex Jack has also written another book along these lines: Profiles in Oriental Diagnosis: Zen Navigator v. 1 , which looks at famous people from the Renaissance, such as Leonardo Da Vinci. In this book Jack mentions that he'll be writing several more volumes on this theme, focusing on people from other periods in history. However I haven't managed to find any more books in this series and suspect that the author didn't continue with his project, which is a shame, as I was looking forward to more.

Basic Home Remedies: Macrobiotic Guide to Special Drinks, Compresses, Plasters, and Other Natural Applications
by Michio Kushi

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Effective, 13 Nov 2012
This is a great little book to keep either in the kitchen or in the bathroom medicine cabinet if you want to understand and treat disease and illnesses naturally and without side effects. It's easy to read and create the simple homemade remedies, so long as you have access to a decent health food shop. I've been practicing macrobiotic cooking and health for several years now, and so was familiar with most of the information in this book. But even if you're not, it's still very accessible and it's certainly a good starter guide for macrobiotic remedies. However I also like to cross reference it with Kushi's larger macrobiotic volume, Macrobiotic Path to Total Health, The: A Complete Guide to Naturally Preventing and Relieving More Than 200 Chronic Conditions and Disorders, which gives one of the most fully comprehensive guides to preventing and treating all kinds of illnesses that I've ever come across. I've used both books on many occasions, for me and my family, and the simple, natural remedies do work every time!