Profile for Sam > Reviews

Content by Sam

Sam (Lamerton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16GB Memory Card
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16GB Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives me a few days recording time at the highest MP3 settings, 13 Oct 2013
This miniscule little device gives me a few days of continuous recording using my Tascam DR-07 MkII (should I ever need to just leave it recording for more than 24hrs). What can you say? It does what it should, no problems, no issues. It's so small that if it wasn't shoved in a decent-sized recording unit, I would be sure to lose it. In terms of what I use it for, I can assure you that I will NEVER need a larger capacity card.

Duracell Rechargeable 9 V Batteries
Duracell Rechargeable 9 V Batteries

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish these were...heavier, 13 Oct 2013
I hardly use these (I bought two) but when I do, they seem to work fine. I bought them to power a pair of Rode condenser mics and as such, they're not put to heavy-duty use so I can't comment how well or badly the perform for electronic devices with moving parts or heavy power usage. I've had them a couple of years now and had occasion to look for them tonight because I'll need them soon for some recording I have to do. My only complaint is they're...too light. Yes. I want a 9V rechargeable battery to...well, feel like a 9V battery and 9V batteries always felt like a solid little block. By contrast, these batteries feel like they're empty. Weird and slightly disconcerting.

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 13 Oct 2013
What can I say? Huge amount of storage, compact, silent operation. Nice little white light and USB 3.0 connectivity (even though I only run it on my MacBook Pro using USB 2.0. I use it as a 'Time Machine' backup a few times a week and tend to carry it around loose in my computer bag. This is probably not such a good idea for longevity...but so far, so good.

Griffin Apple iPad Stylus Pen
Griffin Apple iPad Stylus Pen
Offered by Modern-Tech

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuk, 13 Oct 2013
This little pen worked ..OK for a while with a paint / drawing app on my iPhone. After a remarkably short time using it, the black paint (I'm guessing it's paint) on the rubbery 'business end' of this stylus rubbed off, leaving a grey colour underneath. This didn't seem to affect it's functioning but shortly after, the flexible rubbery 'dome' that acts as the stylus contact point split and eventually fell off. Bit a of waste of money tbh.

Elixir 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating - Extra Light (0.010 - 0.047)

5.0 out of 5 stars The only strings my Taylor Baby acoustic likes..., 13 Oct 2013
I have a Taylor Baby - a 3/4 size mahogany travel guitar which is really, really temperamental when it comes to strings and keeping in tune. It has something to do with the mathematics / physics of the small-scale neck but I was pulling my hair out trying to find a way to live with it. Open D tunings, tuned up a tone, ultra light strings; capo'd on the third fret permanently. And then I bought THIS exact set of strings and for the first time (for reasons I cannot fathom) the Taylor is happy and I'm happy with it. I've no idea but I'm glad I made a note which strings worked because I'll certainly be buying them again when the time comes.

Elixir Electric Guitar Strings Nanoweb Light .010 - .046
Elixir Electric Guitar Strings Nanoweb Light .010 - .046
Offered by EESMusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Elixir? Excellent, goes without saying, 13 Oct 2013
It's hard to write much about Elixir Electric and Acoustic guitar strings except 'buy them and don't buy anything else'. As anyone who plays will tell you, they last longer and sound better than any other strings on the market. Of course you pay for it but these strings are worth the money any day of the week.

Fender 2" Vintage Gold Tweed Guitar Strap
Fender 2" Vintage Gold Tweed Guitar Strap
Offered by RST Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, nice leather ends, 13 Oct 2013
I treated myself to this because my Taylor Baby needed a strap and I didn't want to buy something cumbersome and leathery. So I opted for the Fender strap because the colour goes great with my little mahogany Taylor...and if I didn't like it on that one, it would go great on my Fender acoustic as well. Can't fault it. Well made, plenty long enough for me and comes with laces if you want to tie it to the neck in the absence of a fixed strap button.

Shubb Capo Noir - Acoustic and Electric
Shubb Capo Noir - Acoustic and Electric

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 13 Oct 2013
It's that moment when you take it out of the packaging and hold it, feel the mechanism...you immediately know that every other capo you ever bought was, by comparison, a waste of money. This is, without a doubt, the best of the lot. Simple to put on, perfectly tensioned and - like everyone else says - doesn't over stretch the strings and affect the tuning. It's about 3 -5 times more expensive than the usual capos and so long as you don't lose it it will turn out to be 10 times better or more.

Drift HD Action Camera
Drift HD Action Camera
Offered by Woodhaven Marketing

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried hard not to give it 5 but...., 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Camera)
For the money (about £150 less than the nearest GoPro) the Drift is as good as you can get.

Pros
Slimline shape (less wind resistance and bulk) and more discreet
Rotatable lens (you won't know what the hell this is for until the first time you suddenly find you need it - trust me, you'll be glad of it but it's not worth trying to explain it here)
Simplicity
Usable wide-angle HD picture
Price
External Mic input socket

Cons
Picture quality not quite as good as the GoPro
Battery life no more than 1 hour (and not confidence inspiring)
Poor controls and feedback (guaranteed to fail to record at least 25% of your intended videos)

But, for the price, it's pretty damn good. And the Drift is the only camera of its class to feature an External Mic input. Who cares if you're surfing or moto-crossing... but you might be wanting to make an instructional video of some kind and suddenly, that ubiquitous dance music soundtrack just won't do. With the Drift, you can plug in a wireless tie-pin and chatter away - even if you're miles from the camera. Neat.

Drift Suction Mount All Models Accessory - Black
Drift Suction Mount All Models Accessory - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., 5 Jun 2013
This suction mount is pretty damn strong - IF you start on the right surface. And whether something IS or ISN'T the right surface is a tricky issue. Slap this on clean glass and you can leave the camera on there for, who knows? Months probably if not forever. Get it on even the most slightly porous or uneven surface (which sometimes your eye can't even spot) and you might be looking at one broken Drift HD.

Or, in my case, one dead member of the public since I like to attach mine to a glider to record my progress learning to fly. I attached it to a wooden fabric and paint covered glider (choosing very carefully a smooth and shiny section) and it stayed on for several flights. But I have to say, I worried a bit. However, what that lesson taught me was that when I graduate to a fiberglass glider I should be able to set my mind at rest.

Recommendation: wherever you can, rig a failsafe in case the suction fails. Even if it's unlikely, it will stop you having to worry.

I witheld 1 star because this piece of kit could come with more guidance and reassurance on how it works with different surfaces at least to give the user some head-start in making sure it's set up safely. And because the single loose rubber washer fell off and got lost almost immediately (as it is BOUND to do). A couple of replacements in the box would be a good idea.

Otherwise, so far it's impressive. I'll tell you more when I've flown more with it (and not killed anyone).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4