Profile for Jane > Reviews

Content by Jane

Jane (West Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Wake
The Wake
by Paul Kingsnorth

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't ever read a book quite like it. It's challenging, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Wake (Hardcover)
A very powerful read. It does take time to get into, and to get used to the language, but I understand completely the author's rationale for creating the book in this way. 'Hearing' Buccmaster's voice, and taking time to learn the language (faux 'eald anglish' though it may be) makes it a very immersive read. I haven't ever read a book quite like it. It's challenging, but worth persevering. Give it a go!

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

5.0 out of 5 stars Life, the universe and everything..., 8 Aug. 2014
I read this in one sitting and I loved it. Well-written, thought provoking, funny and sad - it makes you think carefully about what family is, and what it means to be human. Not is a sugary way, either. Avoid reading lengthy reviews before you read it if you can - several have inadvertent plot spoilers within them.These don't necessarily take away from the power of the book…it's just that it's a better read if you don't know what's coming.

Soft Leather Baby Shoes Fox 6-12 months
Soft Leather Baby Shoes Fox 6-12 months
Offered by Olea London Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 4 Aug. 2014
These are the cutest thing ever. Perfect for my just walking youngest grandson.

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist
by Jessie Burton

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry…it's awful..., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Hardcover)
I liked the central premise of this story, and really wanted to like the book, but the writing is awful. It's overblown and tedious, and is peppered with metaphors and similes that don't work. I thought at first it must have been a (poor) translation, but no. None of the characters are appealing or seem real, the dialogue is completely unbelievable, and there so many holes in the plot; there are a lot of 'surprise' twists that are also fully predictable. The writer has clearly done some research into the detail of life in this era, but not nearly enough to write convincingly. Johanne's dogs, for example, are said to be whippets, a breed that didn't exist until the 19th century, and weren't used as any sort of guard dog. There seems to be little or no understanding of the social mores of the time, either. Just silly. I don't really blame the author - it's her first novel - but I can only imagine she received little or no editorial guidance.

Whippet (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)
Whippet (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., 10 May 2012
I bought this on the strength of the two 5 star reviews. There is SOME interesting stuff here, (I like the historical pictures in particular) but be aware that if you are interested in breed standards (I'm not, by the way) it's mainly about American ones, and these are not the same in the UK. I also found the structure a bit confusing in places - there is some repetition, and a not altogether logical sequence of paragraphs. There is also an annoying tendency to add captions to generic photos to make them seem relevant to the topic. In short - I don't think I learned anything I haven't already read on the internet. (Maybe when the book was first published there was less freely available...)

Melissa & Doug Plush Jack Russell Terrier
Melissa & Doug Plush Jack Russell Terrier

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, the recipient loved it..., 8 Feb. 2012
I was really disappointed with this when it arrived - it wasn't very well finished and it wasn't particularly nice to handle - it's rather stiff and hard (I guess because it needs to be able to stand up!) I nearly sent it back, but it was a birthday gift and there was no time to buy something else. Just goes to show I know nothing! The little girl who received it totally loves it. It's been to school, to bed, and even has its own lead and collar now. Her mum thinks it's a great substitute for a real pet dog, too!

No Roses For Harry (Red Fox Picture Books)
No Roses For Harry (Red Fox Picture Books)
by Gene Zion

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Harry, love this book, 8 Feb. 2012
I love Harry the Dirty Dog, having read the book when I was a child. Now I am a jumper-knitting granny, this is a perfect book for my grandchildren. Great illustrations, in a style typical of the time it was first published.

Rainbow Designs Roald Dahl Enormous Crocodile Soft Toy
Rainbow Designs Roald Dahl Enormous Crocodile Soft Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute ... but not very enormous..., 8 Feb. 2012
A sweet croc that is brilliantly reminiscent of Quentin Blake's illustration, but it's really not so enormous! A present for an animal loving little boy, though, so I think he'll like it - the jaws snap shut very satisfyingly, and he's soft and squishy to cuddle. PS. Small boy has now received croco and loves it. He hasn't been put down since emerging from his birthday wrapping paper; perfect for a 2 year old animal lover.

Thomas & Friends Trackmaster Gordon Motorised Engine
Thomas & Friends Trackmaster Gordon Motorised Engine
Offered by Great Savings UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Toot toot, 8 Feb. 2012
This is a present for my 4 year old grandson who loves trains, and Gordon most of all. Very good value for money compared with other train makes. He will be very happy!

Pop-Up Tunnel
Pop-Up Tunnel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Pop-Up Tunnel (Toy)
This is not a particularly expensive product, I know - but be aware, the fabric is not nylon like others I have seen in the shops - it's the sort of material recycled shopping bags are made from, or disposable clothing. I'm not sure how durable this will be, especially if used outside.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3