Profile for Gabble > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Long Road Home
Long Road Home

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, don't let this album go by you., 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Long Road Home (Audio CD)
Jeez what can I say about this album. It is very good although I shouldn’t really like it……I do however, and it reminds me that his first effort was also good. Jeez. 25 and writing good melodies with slices of heart, and carving out songs around the 3 minute mark. It might be disposable, but it was fun while it lasted. The evolution of a boy band member, ok maybe I missed a meeting.
The album as a whole has accompanied me on my commute to work over the last few weeks. I like the emotion it can tug at, as said – you don’t expect this but it arrives. A good album, one I’m glad to have discovered along the way. Thanks

(The first track has a Midlake feel, great!!!

The Take Off And Landing Of Everything
The Take Off And Landing Of Everything

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere in all that talk is all the answers !, 10 May 2014
I have never been an almighty Elbow fan, having dipped into their output only occasionally. And liking to a degree, but not in a repeat listener way. On dipping into this album I found myself thinking at first that is sounded samey and how it would be unlikely to be one I’d eagerly reach for.

However, a rare thing happened; whereby after a couple of casual non committed listens during a long commute - typically because I couldn’t decide on anything else to play – I noticed the songs becoming familiar and all of a sudden I was getting drawn into the lyrics, and the real core of the melodies. It all just seems to work. The songs theme seems to work more as a whole rather than as individual entities, bringing a surprising clarity to the messages and musings.

It continued to draw me further in, no longer was I dipping in – this album had rooted itself into my psyche. The melodies meander with the occasional darkly crafted words expertly interweaved and expressed by a unique and perfect vocal. The rhythm and production simply works.

Now I am finding myself experimenting with their back catalogue to see if a similar experience might be had.
Elbow are a bit of an enigma perhaps, but they are powerful, poignant and poetic; the lyrics take on vivid personal slants – or maybe that’s just a middle aged thing.

To conclude, this is highly recommended for thoughtful persons who have a little patience to see if they can evoke a similar experience as described.

This is an excellent album.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 7:56 PM GMT

Harlequin Dream
Harlequin Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine having a relationship with an Album - Seriously this is a truly fantastic album, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Harlequin Dream (Audio CD)
This is simply an excellent and intelligent album. What a find !!

It is not often a ‘random’ listen to the track snippets at Amazon yields something as marvellous as this.....launching Boy & Bear into the realms of favourite-band-right-at-the-moment. And this album in particular is endearing from start to finish.

I see some of the reviews make the point loud and clear how catchy the songs become after a mere couple of listens, so I have to reinforce that point completely. These songs bury themselves into your waking consciousness. The lyrics are so palatable and fit the tunes perfectly, the themes relatively dark in a way in which some of the best songs are. Wonderful album, which I am not going to make any comparisons to with other artists, as some other reviewers have done. The only comment around this is to start with I felt the vocal reminded me somewhat of ‘Cherry Ghost’ (certainly another band worth checking out if you, like me, love this!)
So, a top star rating for this album, and a mention that Moonfire - the album that preceded this one from Boy & Bear - is also excellent, again the songs are what is termed ‘earworms’; Jeez this Australian band have got it sussed; brilliant music, wonderful lyrics, the entire sound, production and presentation - vocals and harmonies included.......there is not much around that can top what Boy & Bear offer..........honestly, believe me – give this 3 listens and I guarantee you will be hooked. Even songs you kind of shrug your shoulders at during the first listen will by the third be resonating inside your mind, so much so you’ll want to go back and listen and discover the melodies will have melted within you with such familiarity, you will absolutely go back for more.

And why not.

It is not often such music is stumbled across and then makes you wonder what life was like before the songs came into your life...........this album has been starting off my drive to work each day, and with each listen it just gets better. Imagine having a relationship with an album, well that hasn’t happened to me for many years.

But it has now. Truly.

Standards
Standards
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-acquaintance with music - with an Excellent Release, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Standards (Audio CD)
A deserved 5 stars

I'm not going to wax overly lyrical on this new Lloyd Cole album, but it is a few notches above anything he has brought out over the last decade or even two. I've followed Lloyd through his pretty consistent solo career, enjoying his releases - albeit most were fairly short-lived at being first choice listens through my greying years. He has kept with it, remained true I think to himself, not tried too hard to grab our tentative attentions. This album really stands out, whether it is the production or just the `standard' of the song being offered, whatever way - it works. It just really works and has been grabbing my daily attention since purchasing it upon its release.
Well just thought I'd say as it deserves the praise. A stand out album for 2013.

ON my daily gruelling journeys - 60 miles there, 60 miles back - my choice however, but probably not the wisest as I stand and reflect in the retrospect - Lloyd usually accompanies me on the return part, for that, just want to say `thanks'!

At 6am through the mist at the moment it is Justin Currie, followed actually by the new Travis album - for some reason I can't quite place, I'm sure that one won't be with me for long. Last week the new Prefab Sprout one was also on the menu, which at first I wasn't overly keen on but I see now it is creeping into my psyche a bit. Re-acquaintance with music

SoundWave SW100 Rechargable Portable Bluetooth Speaker
SoundWave SW100 Rechargable Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Offered by FoneM8store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wee device !, 13 April 2013
I wanted to say something about this product having owned it now for a number of months. It works well, volume and clarity are as good or if not better than you might expect from a speaker of this size. The battery lasts well and it pairs easily to any device it encounters. The only negative and reason why it gets the word 'good' and not 'excellent' as it's descriptor in the title line is that the range of the Bluetooth is extremely short, you can't have the device and the speaker in different rooms, in fact it needs to be no more than say 60cm from it. Otherwise it will hiss and the sound will be fragmented as observed by some others commenting here.

But don't let that put you off, I use it mostly for listening to podcasts whilst in the bath and it does that just fine - as long as the IPod is within the very limited Bluetooth range. The cylinder looks and feels good in the hand. It does come with a sort of pointless rubber circular mat and packaging that is designed to attract someone seeing it on a shelf. They know it looks good, but actually it works rather well too.

Nothing else to say about this product.

Veho VMS-004 Discovery Deluxe USB Microscope with x400 Magnification & Flexi Alloy Stand

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible with Windows 7, 25 Feb 2013
This is a good little device, which I have used with much success in the past, but be aware it is not compatible with Windows 7.

In my previous workplace I bought a few of them for use in magnifying small defects on rubber products. This worked well, but after purchasing another 2 of them for use at a new workplace - also to take magnified pictures of defects on rubber components - neither of them worked. The only difference was the Windows Operating System, and right enough if you look at the product details it does say somewhere:

- Compatible with: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 and above

So by process of elimination, Windows 7 is not omitted and I testify here and now it won't work on it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 5:07 PM GMT

Standing Up Again
Standing Up Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Rab Noakes - Standing Up Again, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Standing Up Again (Audio CD)
Rab Noakes - Standing up again

I discovered Rab Noakes singing Gerry Rafferty in a tribute concert, wow what a song-smith, and heck what a talent to treasure. I hope that we don't wait too long to recognise that fact. He genuinely is a true hearted Scottish soul, and this album is a reflection of that.

In the wake of the much-too-soon passing of another true heart in Michael Marra, we should make sure Rab knows how much his song writing and performing means to us.

This is a fantastic album to unwind along with on a Friday, with a whisky in hand in a hopeless attempt to forget about those weekday blues.

I'd never find another you.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars The passage of time in the making of toast., 10 Feb 2012
If you like your toast made quickly, moreover If time is a well honed entity in the morning and your routine is so polished that - : up, showered, shaved, dried, dressed, toast, tea, teeth and out : - is carried out in drilled efficiency - then perhaps this particular toaster is not for you.
This thing has become the bottleneck in my morning routine.
I like a bit of nicely tanned bread to heap some golden syrup on, but this toaster loses the race against its cousin the counterpart kettle. And it's quite pricey considering what it's peddling.
An unreasonable amount of time will pass, so the kettle has long boiled and the tea is in danger of becoming colder. And still the bread hasn't browned.
Another passage of time will dissolve, and the seconds gained with the efficiency of all the preceding activities since shaking myself out of bed are lost. And still the bread has not become toast.
So I pop it up and spread my syrup anyhow.

There is one major gripe, and for my money it's as major-a-gripe can get in relation to an objects primary function. It browns the bread far too slowly.

Ok, yea even on maximum setting, barely get's tan at all.

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars 11.22.63 - A brilliant story told by a brilliant storyteller., 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
Stephen King is always a name that catches my eye but not always my investment in the time to read his books. That is surely a mistake. Whenever I have chosen to do so, and if the frame of mind is right then, admittedly, I do very much admire and enjoy his writing. It could be his association with the horror genre that has made me pause and resist most of all but a few of his novels. However, the reality is that Stephen King is much more than a mere horror writer; he is an obscenely talented craftsman of words, characters and concepts. It doesn't matter what guise his theme is wrapped in, the stories always weave together intricate plots and characterisation, irrelevant of the subject matter, he just seems to understand more than your ordinary soul, he simply seems to `get it', whatever, that is, `it' may be.

The subject at the heart of 11.22.63 is the assassination of JFK, the backdrop being the lead up to the fateful date in and around Dallas with a well observed eye on Lee Harvey Oswald, and the thread a story of time travel in first person narrative. This results in a wonderfully crafted and well researched novel, interspersed with suspense, sadness and every other ingredient required of a book that will undoubtedly become a classic. I'm not going to bother detailing how it all comes together, but it does, and you feel a deep sense of understanding about the era and the psyche of the US.

An interesting time to read such a tale and be reminded of an America full of cockiness and conceit, still reeling in the wake of World War 2, brought about by the wealth from the 50's - whilst most of the globe struggled to re-build themselves, America's melting pot was giving birth to a new age of capitalism - whilst fending off a cold political resistance and still marching gung-ho into the 60's - with the arms race, the space race, the Cuban missile crisis, and of course the world stage of Vietnam.

Early 60's America is so well described here, each of your senses is tantalised as the story unfolds and the retrospective delivers us face to face with the man who's single act crippled a faltering nation. Along the way however is a depiction of the ordinariness of life during this time, the personal stories littered with tragedy and the `what ifs?' as they become clear and our story teller ponders, making you ponder too. What if?

Invest in the time it takes to read this it will not disappoint in the slightest.

Time is such a fragile process.

ThumbsUp! Dual Cylinder Speaker
ThumbsUp! Dual Cylinder Speaker
Offered by Startup Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Random, loud but should be proud....good product, 22 Dec 2011
I picked up a pair of these last month without any research and planning - an impulse purchase - thinking simply they might just bump up the volume on my IPod whilst listening to podcasts in the bath. The iPod max-volume from the internal speaker can't compete with the white-noise of the running taps.

They slot together by the power of magnets as illustrated but sit nicely when separated as recognisable miniature speakers - with a single wire adjoining them then branching into both USB and speaker connectors. The only mental caution I make, thinking that the presence of the magnetic field could possibly do-something to the internal memory of the IPod, is to always keep the IPod at wires length from where I position the speakers (usually precariously on the same shelf as discarded toothpastes and toothbrushes).

You give them a little USB juice to charge them up and the LED lights change from red-to purple-to blue. Once they emit the surprisingly dazzling blue colour you know they are charged. And they stay charged for a nice slice of time. At the point of writing this I have only charged them once and the lights on each satellite speaker remain a reassuring blue whilst they effortlessly continue to enhance the volume sufficiently for me to clearly hear my chosen podcasts.

These are genuinely decent speakers that perform their function perfectly, moreover their design is simple but in every way effective. Perhaps they could be priced a little cheaper, I think if I had done research and shopped around - which is my usual means of purchasing something like this - then they wouldn't have filtered onto my radar and I wouldn't have made the purchase. But I did and perhaps it tells me this is just as valid a way of making a purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2012 7:24 PM BST