Profile for Finvarra > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Beta Hardbound Sketchbook 5.5X8.5
Beta Hardbound Sketchbook 5.5X8.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sketchbooks, 22 Jan. 2016
Robust heavy duty NOT paper, will take everything you throw at it. I like that it does not have a discernible regular texture, such as Bockingford. Will take watercolour used very wet, watercolour pencils and crayons, ink, coloured pencils, just love it. Along with the Zeta, these are my favourite sketchbooks.

Stillman & Birn : Zeta Sketchbook 7 x 7in Wirebound 270gsm - White Smooth
Stillman & Birn : Zeta Sketchbook 7 x 7in Wirebound 270gsm - White Smooth
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever sketchbook with smooth paper, 22 Jan. 2016
Beautiful paper, heavy duty, smooth and robust. Will take ink, pencil, watercolour pencils and crayons, coloured pencils. No bleed through, takes everything you throw at it. Best sketchbook with smooth paper ever.

Halogen Cooking For Two
Halogen Cooking For Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to halogen cooking, 28 Feb. 2015
Excellent book, especially if you have one of the smaller ovens I have the Andrew James. 7litre. Plenty of good advice to help you get to,grips with this method of cooking, lots of recipes, both traditional and more innovative, but sensible, I.e. Not requiring lots of bizarre ingredients. Recommend.

Kenwood KM336 Chef Classic Stand Mixer in Gloss White with Liquidiser
Kenwood KM336 Chef Classic Stand Mixer in Gloss White with Liquidiser

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job, poor customer service, 7 Dec. 2014
I bought this machine after doing a lot of research, mainly to replace my bread maker, which had become obsolete for replacements. I make bread three times a week. My mother had a Kenwood for years, so I thought I was buying a reliable machine with good backup. The first thing I made was cake mix, and the machine performed well, though it was rather noisy. Then I tried a bread dough with 300gms flour. The motor groaned and struggled to mix the dough, and it bounced all over the worktop, in fact I had to hold it down to stop it falling off onto the floor. It obviously could not cope with the dough. The third time I used it it worked for a couple of seconds, then stopped. Dead as a doornail.
Phoned the customer services helpline, but after hanging on for ages with no answer, I emailed them. It took ELEVEN DAYS to get a reply, just saying that the machine can cope with 300gm flour, and to take it to a service agent. Nearest one is 30 miles away. I would have expected them to admit that the machine is faulty and to offer to replace it. This is not the sort of service I would expect from a company with such a reputation for reliability.
Very very disappointed both in the machine (which by the way is made in China) and is the poor customer service. Will not be ordering a replacement.

Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life In Words And Pictures
Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life In Words And Pictures
by Cathy Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 24 Feb. 2014
Having had a very traumatic and sad couple of years, I stopped drawing and painting completely, just could't get motivated. I'd looked at this book before, and finally ordered it, and it really helped me to get going again. Full of enthusiasm and inspirational tips, it made me start small and gradually get back into drawing again. There are lots of pictures of other artist's work too, so it's not all about the author - there is something for everyone. It's helped me get back the enjoyment of creating art without the pressure of making large finished works, but celebrating the things in life which make it precious. The book doesn't try to teach you to draw, it assumes you have some skills already (and there are plenty of basic drawing books on the market), but does encourage you experiment with different art materials and explore your ideas.

A lovely lovely book. Thank you Cathy Johnson

Calligraphy for Greetings Cards and Scrapbooking
Calligraphy for Greetings Cards and Scrapbooking
by Peter E. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Feb. 2014
I got this book from our library because I wanted to improve the look of my artist sketchbooks and journals. My handwriting is not great, and I wanted some of my special artist books to have a more professional look. I write poetry too and my paintings is my books for the poems are let down by less than perfect handwriting. This book is packed full of information and generous tips. Everything you need to know to get started, fully explained with lots of pictures and advice. It teaches you how to judge the size of your letters, and five scripts, along with ideas to individualise your work. How to do curvy writing, fit script in interesting formats, use gold leaf. The author's modern take on calligraphy is so suitable for contemporary uses, and is not too complicated and esoteric that you feel you can never learn enough to produce a good looking piece of work. My artwork is now enhanced by decent looking script instead of scribble!

This book should spark your imagination in whatever craft or art discipline you use. I liked the book so much I bought it and know I will refer to it often . Highly recommend.

Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Offered by NDS shipping

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovering my music, 6 Aug. 2012
Recently bought a Sony Walkman NWZ-Z1060 and been hugely pleased with it. I have very narrow ear canals and don;t get on with ear buds. Went to PC World with my mp3 and tried the different headphones, ranging from cheap to a pair at £300. These headphones were far and away the best, better than all the more expensive models. I'm hearing things now in my music that I didn't even know were there, and falling in love with my music all over aain. I listen to all sorts of music from classics to rock to folk, and these phones pick everything up from load bass to delicate passages, with no distortion or loss. They are comfortable to wear, other people in the room can't hear what I am listening to, and they fold away neatly. Absolutely brilliant.

Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black
Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen in love with my music all over again, 6 Aug. 2012
Disappointed in the music quality on my phone (Motorola Milestone 2) I decided to buy a dedicated mp3 player. Did a lot of research, narrowed it down to this one and the Samsung Galaxy S (which my husband bought). After asking questions of various helpful people on the net, decided on this one, and am so glad I did. The sound quality is beyond words. It is easy to use and navigate, the big screen is good if your eyes aren't what they used to be '. It goes online perfectly (unlike my Motorola) and downloads stuff quickly. The earbuds are OK, but as I have very narrow ear canals I find any earbuds uncomfortable, so I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones (around £70) after trying various ones at PC World. They are superb! I can hear things on my music that I never knew were there (and I have acute hearing), it's like discovering my music all over again. The music quality is better than the Samsung (even my husband agrees!), though his is a good machine. The only quibble is that the inbuilt Mediago for transferring music put my music tracks in alphabetical order (another thing the Motorola did, rearranging all my tracks for no apparent reason), so I had to delete them and use Windows Media Player to transfer. This worked fine and my tracks are in the correct order (important for classical music or film scores). My husband used Poweramp on his player, no problems. I play an extensive range of music types, from classical to rock, and you can hear everything beautifully from the heaviest bass to the most delicate passages. Over the moon with this player (especially with the Sony headphones).

The Painted Quilt: Paint And Print Techniques For Color On Quilts: Paint and Print Techniques for Colour on Quilts
by Linda Kemshall

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to help your imagination, 1 Sept. 2011
This is a brilliant book, one of the best textile books I have bought. The authors share their vision and techniques, taking you through the stages of the designs and how they were achieved. There are no projects - just instructions and examples of how they achieve their effects. They share all the wrinkles too, and don't leave you lost halfway. There are few expensive things to buy. What this book does is stimulate the imagination - it gives you the tools to follow your own path and develop the images you may have in your mind but don't know how to realise. I shall refer to this very useful book again and again, and my work can only grow as a result.

Slavonic Orthodox Liturgy
Slavonic Orthodox Liturgy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Music, 18 Jun. 2011
I bought this on vinyl a long time ago and have been unable to play it since the demise of my record player. I was delighted to be able to download it, as it is quite an obscure album.

You don't need to be religious or understand the language to appreciate to wonderful soaring melodies and heart tugging singing. The songs were obviously recorded in a cathedral and have that echoing mystical quality to them. An album to lift the spirits and bring a little bit of heaven into your life.

Page: 1 | 2