Profile for Finvarra > Reviews

Artist Journal Workshop
Artist Journal Workshop
by Cathy Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 24 Feb 2014
Having had a very traumatic and sad couple of years, I stopped drawing and painting completely, just could't get motivated. I'd looked at this book before, and finally ordered it, and it really helped me to get going again. Full of enthusiasm and inspirational tips, it made me start small and gradually get back into drawing again. There are lots of pictures of other artist's work too, so it's not all about the author - there is something for everyone. It's helped me get back the enjoyment of creating art without the pressure of making large finished works, but celebrating the things in life which make it precious. The book doesn't try to teach you to draw, it assumes you have some skills already (and there are plenty of basic drawing books on the market), but does encourage you experiment with different art materials and explore your ideas.

A lovely lovely book. Thank you Cathy Johnson

Calligraphy for Greetings Cards and Scrapbooking
Calligraphy for Greetings Cards and Scrapbooking
by Peter E. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Feb 2014
I got this book from our library because I wanted to improve the look of my artist sketchbooks and journals. My handwriting is not great, and I wanted some of my special artist books to have a more professional look. I write poetry too and my paintings is my books for the poems are let down by less than perfect handwriting. This book is packed full of information and generous tips. Everything you need to know to get started, fully explained with lots of pictures and advice. It teaches you how to judge the size of your letters, and five scripts, along with ideas to individualise your work. How to do curvy writing, fit script in interesting formats, use gold leaf. The author's modern take on calligraphy is so suitable for contemporary uses, and is not too complicated and esoteric that you feel you can never learn enough to produce a good looking piece of work. My artwork is now enhanced by decent looking script instead of scribble!

This book should spark your imagination in whatever craft or art discipline you use. I liked the book so much I bought it and know I will refer to it often . Highly recommend.

Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Offered by Apple Gear

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovering my music, 6 Aug 2012
Recently bought a Sony Walkman NWZ-Z1060 and been hugely pleased with it. I have very narrow ear canals and don;t get on with ear buds. Went to PC World with my mp3 and tried the different headphones, ranging from cheap to a pair at £300. These headphones were far and away the best, better than all the more expensive models. I'm hearing things now in my music that I didn't even know were there, and falling in love with my music all over aain. I listen to all sorts of music from classics to rock to folk, and these phones pick everything up from load bass to delicate passages, with no distortion or loss. They are comfortable to wear, other people in the room can't hear what I am listening to, and they fold away neatly. Absolutely brilliant.

Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black
Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen in love with my music all over again, 6 Aug 2012
Disappointed in the music quality on my phone (Motorola Milestone 2) I decided to buy a dedicated mp3 player. Did a lot of research, narrowed it down to this one and the Samsung Galaxy S (which my husband bought). After asking questions of various helpful people on the net, decided on this one, and am so glad I did. The sound quality is beyond words. It is easy to use and navigate, the big screen is good if your eyes aren't what they used to be '. It goes online perfectly (unlike my Motorola) and downloads stuff quickly. The earbuds are OK, but as I have very narrow ear canals I find any earbuds uncomfortable, so I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones (around £70) after trying various ones at PC World. They are superb! I can hear things on my music that I never knew were there (and I have acute hearing), it's like discovering my music all over again. The music quality is better than the Samsung (even my husband agrees!), though his is a good machine. The only quibble is that the inbuilt Mediago for transferring music put my music tracks in alphabetical order (another thing the Motorola did, rearranging all my tracks for no apparent reason), so I had to delete them and use Windows Media Player to transfer. This worked fine and my tracks are in the correct order (important for classical music or film scores). My husband used Poweramp on his player, no problems. I play an extensive range of music types, from classical to rock, and you can hear everything beautifully from the heaviest bass to the most delicate passages. Over the moon with this player (especially with the Sony headphones).

The Painted Quilt: Paint and Print Techniques for Colour on Quilts
The Painted Quilt: Paint and Print Techniques for Colour on Quilts
by Linda Kemshall

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to help your imagination, 1 Sep 2011
This is a brilliant book, one of the best textile books I have bought. The authors share their vision and techniques, taking you through the stages of the designs and how they were achieved. There are no projects - just instructions and examples of how they achieve their effects. They share all the wrinkles too, and don't leave you lost halfway. There are few expensive things to buy. What this book does is stimulate the imagination - it gives you the tools to follow your own path and develop the images you may have in your mind but don't know how to realise. I shall refer to this very useful book again and again, and my work can only grow as a result.

Slavonic Orthodox Liturgy
Slavonic Orthodox Liturgy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Music, 18 Jun 2011
I bought this on vinyl a long time ago and have been unable to play it since the demise of my record player. I was delighted to be able to download it, as it is quite an obscure album.

You don't need to be religious or understand the language to appreciate to wonderful soaring melodies and heart tugging singing. The songs were obviously recorded in a cathedral and have that echoing mystical quality to them. An album to lift the spirits and bring a little bit of heaven into your life.

The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6 (Earths Children 6)
The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6 (Earths Children 6)
by Jean M. Auel

1.0 out of 5 stars From prehistory to Peyton Place, 9 April 2011
Oh dear oh dear, what a dismal end to an innovative and initially gripping saga. Having read and reread the first four books with great enjoyment, and felt let down by number five, this last one really takes the series out with a whimper. I felt as if we were in a small town in America (apologies to Americans), with cosy family households in the cave, visiting each other and taking tea. What happened to all the promise of the shamanisitc powers that Ayla was training for? Off they go on a long drawn out 'tour' of the painted caves, so boring it could have been planned by Cooks. Do all the shamans, the donii, perform any rituals in these amazing places and attempt to engage in the spirit world? No, they just gawp at the pictures, make a few comments and plod off to the next one. All that was lacking were cameras to take holiday snaps.

The drinking parties of the male groups, and the sexual shenanigans of Jondalar, then Ayla, was more like Peyton Place than prehistoric Europe..

Information was imparted by lecture - show, don't tell, Ms Auel. The editors of this book need to put some red ink in their pens - it was far too verbose, padded with repitition after repitition, including the abysmal 'poetry' of the Mother's song, churned out ad nauseum. And introducing names like Belladora and Domenica - how slipshod.

The conclusion of the root drinking for the shamanic trip did not add anything new. This was approached like a group of teenagers experimenting with drugs for the first time.

I've recommended this series to people, and eagerly awaited this last book. It has just wasted a week of my life reading it, and killed all the delight in the characters as portrayed in the previous books. Like other reviewers, I suggest you stop at number four, and invent your own ending.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 9:21 AM BST