Profile for G. Hill > Reviews

Maxsima - LP-E10 Battery For Canon EOS 1100D, Rebel T3, Kiss X50, LPE10
Offered by Cameramarket UK
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do!, 3 Jun 2013
No issues with the product - it does exactly what it needs to do. I'm considering buying a couple more.

Rock Montreal & Live Aid [Blu-Ray] [2008] [2007]
Rock Montreal & Live Aid [Blu-Ray] [2008] [2007]
Dvd ~ Queen
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome!, 3 Jan 2011
I'm stunned! If it wasn't for the clothing and hairstyles, the fact that Freddie left us 19 years ago and that the surviving members are obviously looking a lot older now, you could be forgiven for thinking this footage was recorded only last year rather than almost 30 years ago! The picture and sound quality is absolutely superb, and of course, the concert itself was fantastic. If you like Queen (and you have a blu ray player), there really is no excuse for not owning this one!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2013 7:58 PM GMT

How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
by Dale Carnegie
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful info, but sometimes a little outdated., 24 Oct 2010
Having read How To Win Friends and Influence People, which was a superb book, I bought this book to help with coping with stress and worry in my life. It's a good book, written in the usual Dale Carnegie style, full of anecdotes with lots of useful information. Reading some of the reviews, some people have claimed that a lot of his stuff is stating the obvious - that's very true, but sometimes it helps to have the obvious clearly stated for you!

There is some useful information and advice in this book, but on a personal note, I found the constant reference to religion a little bit off-putting. It was even slightly odd that Carnegie talks about losing faith and becoming an agnostic but rediscovering religion as it "provides comfort". That may be fine for other people, but it's not something that I, as an atheist, would consider. This is an example of the "outdated" information in the book.

Other than that, though, it's a good book and worth a read.

The ZEN of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web (Voices That Matter)
The ZEN of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web (Voices That Matter)
by Dave Shea

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff!, 28 Sep 2005
Having bought this book about 2 weeks ago, I felt I had to come and review it. I very rarely actually do this!
I only tend to create websites in my spare time at the moment, but am looking to do a bit of freelance work in my spare time. Unfortunately, until now, my creative skills have been a bit limited! I wasn't bothered about things such as accessibility, and most of my websites were built with tables as they were more convenient and consistent across browsers.
But recently, I've been getting into the whole "web standards" thing, so I needed some inspiration. I found the CSS Zen Garden website and from that, decided to try out the book.
First thing to point out (as many have already done) is that this book won't teach you CSS in any detail. It already assumes you know the basics. This book is focussed on the actual design process - coming up with creative new ways to style web pages, and some of the many "tricks of the trade" that web designers have used in creating style sheets for the Zen Garden website.
The designs selected for the book are all outstanding, and for each one, a different topic is covered - layouts, transparent imagery, Fahrner Image Replacement (FIR), the Box Model hack for browser consistency, etc... It contains a huge amount of technical information on designing excellent looking websites using CSS.
In the margins of the book, it also gives handy notes and URLs for websites to look for further information.
For website creators like me who have been focussed on the more technical aspects (such as writing PHP/ASP scripts) rather than making good-looking, easy to use, accessible sites that conform to web standards, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

The Holographic Universe
The Holographic Universe
by Michael Talbot
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A *must* read for any serious paranormal researcher!, 26 Sep 2004
I am a member of North Wales Paranormal Research, and was up until recently pretty sceptical about the existence of ghosts and other parapsychological elements. Why? Because I have a degree in Astrophysics and have been educated with science. Science is a belief, not unlike the belief other people have in ghosts. And beliefs are like addictions. It's very difficult to put aside your beliefs and accept a new way of thinking.
This book changes that. It has completely opened my mind on many aspects of the paranormal, and I have been raving about it ever since I started reading it several weeks ago!
Michael Talbot's presentation of a completely radical idea that basically throws out almost everything we know about science was a bold move, but he does it in such a way that it is extremely compelling, backed up by lots of experimental (and anecdotal in some cases...) evidence and is certainly believable - if you can get your head around the ideas!!!
The EPR paradox that has been mentioned in several reviews on this page was put beautifully in that instead of envisaging two separate particles at a great distance, we are looking at two unfoldings of the same particle. To illustrate this, the book asks you to imagine a fish-tank being monitored by two cameras, one from the side and one from the front. Looking at the two images on the monitors, we see two fish that look similar, but different. One faces forwards and the other faces sideways. But when one fish turns, the other one turns at the same time. So while they *look* like different fish, we can see that they are in fact connected - they are the same fish viewed from a different angle. (I can't do any of these explanations justice!!! :D)
The book goes on to explain how several paranormal phenomena fit into the model, such as poltergeist activity, psychokinesis, stigmata, OBEs and NDEs, auras & healing, psychic abilities, astral projection and remote viewing, hauntings, etc... This is where my particular interest lies.
The idea that the universe is a hologram constructed by our brains is quite difficult to get my head around - that time and space do not really exist, and everything is just a load of frequencies that interfere to create our "reality". It's like trying to visualise a four-dimensional object. We can consciously imagine 3-D objects because we're used to it, but trying to imagine a 4-D object is not possible for us, and maybe it's a similar thing for the holographic universe. We're not meant to see it as it is.
Anyway, I'm confusing myself now - I'll just say that this book is a MUST read! As many others have said in their reviews, it will completely change your view of the world!!!