Profile for OB1 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The 18 Rules of Happiness: How to Be Happy
The 18 Rules of Happiness: How to Be Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars improved my mood, 25 May 2014
Dragged me out of my spate of self pity after a bereavement .. A short and easy read with some home truths

LG - DRT389H Digital TV DVD Recorder with USB 2.0 Interface (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasts about 15 months then stops working, 16 Oct 2013
This is a terrible waste of money. It works well for about 15 months and then breaks down. When you contact the seller, you are duly informed your warranty is out of date, so tough. Terrible customer service, and seems to be built not to last.

Nike+ Running SportBand
Nike+ Running SportBand

3.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Nike+ Running SportBand (Misc.)
I have to really credit this little gadget with keeping me motivated to run 6 days per week for over a year now. I love to check my stats and see how I have improved. However, it only gets three stars because the nike website is really woeful. It is so slow, on whatever computer you use and it constantly crashes. I have read a lot of other nike users who have made similar complaints but to my surprise this huge multi corporate company has failed to address the issue which is a real shame. If nike sorts out its website this would be a five star product.

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars Shantaram is Hindi for ...., 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
'Look, I'm modest and all, but not wanting to blow my own trumpet or anything, I'm actually a pretty amazing guy.' Fact. You should definitely read this book if you are the type of person who loves an egoist. This is basically a journal of a man struggling to deal with his overwhelming love of himself. Shantaram is written by the type of person that you would dread getting stuck in a lift with; 'So enough about me. Tell me what you think of me...'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 11:10 AM GMT

Tommo And Hawk
Tommo And Hawk
by Bryce Courtenay

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Tommo And Hawk (Paperback)
I enjoyed the potato factory so much that I put off reading the second installment in the trilogy to avoid being disappointed. What a fool I was. I was engrossed in Tommo and Hawk from page 1 due to Courtnay's compelling story telling skills. I was crest fallen when i finished this book and I cannot wait to being Solomon's Song.

The Potato Factory
The Potato Factory
by Bryce Courtenay

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Potato Factory (Paperback)
I am totally bemused by the fact that this book is unavailable in most of the book shops I have scoured recently so I could buy a copy for a friend. Courtney is the most wonderful literary genius that many people have yet to discover. It is frustrating to see how much dross gets the undeserved notice of the public when there are wonderful books like this that are relatively undiscovered. This is probably the best book that I have read in a very long time. Courtney has the rare skill of being able to entertain without resorting to gratuitous sex, profanity and violence whilst maintaining an atmosphere of reality. He is a literary unsung hero. A wonderful book that is written with wit, style, imagination and beauty. I thoroughly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 2:28 PM GMT

A Dog's Heart: An Appalling Story (Penguin Classics)
A Dog's Heart: An Appalling Story (Penguin Classics)
by Mikhail Bulgakov

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2009
i absolutely loved every word of this book. if you love metaphorical writing, philosphy, satire, politics and an author with a very distinctive and succinct voice and pointed humour buy it and cherish it

The Witch of Portobello
The Witch of Portobello
by Paulo Coelho

1.0 out of 5 stars Bewitchingly bad, 26 May 2009
I thoroughly recommend that you read this book just so you can appreciate good literature. You cannot truly appreciate what is good without recognising what is awful. This is without doubt the worst book that I have ever read. However, it does fill me with hope. If Cohelo can make it as a successful writer then maybe I can.

Candide (Penguin Popular Classics)
Candide (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Voltaire

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 26 May 2009
a very clever thought-provoking book - i have recommended it to many of my AS philosophy students to help them understand the problems with many Christian theodicies and they have all loved it without exception

The Master And Margarita (Penguin Classics)
The Master And Margarita (Penguin Classics)
by Mikhail Bulgakov

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly clever, 26 May 2009
A brilliantly clever and awe-inspiringly imaginative book. I have bought copies for many friends. It's one of those books that you dread to finish and often think of

Page: 1 | 2