Profile for The Somerset Wife > Reviews

Content by The Somerset Wife
Top Reviewer Ranking: 541

The Somerset Wife "Alison Graham" (Somerset)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Vitamin D3 High Strength 5000 IU 365 Tablets Cholecalciferol MONEYBACK GUARANTEE - UK MANUFACTURED Benefits Immune System, Helps Strengthen Bones and Teeth - SMALL 6MM TABLETS not Softgels or Capsules - Good Source of Vit D - Best D3 supplement - 100 % Vegetarian Dairy and Gluten Free
Offered by No.1 Supplements Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Exactly What I Wanted, 3 Aug. 2015
I received a sample bottle of this Vitamin D3 supplement in return for an honest appraisal of the product.

I am currently taking 2000 iu of Vitamin D3 per day and this is sufficient to maintain my levels of this vital vitamin through the summer months as I try to get out in the sun as much as (safely) possible. I am trying to improve my Osteoporosis with diet, supplements and exercise and will swap to this, higher strength product through the Autumn/Winter/Spring when I can't top up my intake with sunshine.

Good product, easy to swallow small-size tablet.

Biotin Hair Growth Vitamins 10000MCG 200 6mm Tablets MONEY BACK GUARANTEE UK Made BUY 2 GET FREE UK DELEVERY 6 Month + Supply Best Supplements for Hair Loss Best Beauty Treatment for Men and Women - Incite Nutrition Biotin B7 Complex Better Than Shampoo Not 5000MCG Capsules Benefits Healthy Hair , Nail Growth and Skin UK Manufactured
Offered by No.1 Supplements Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars High Dose Biotin Supplement, 3 Aug. 2015
I was sent this Biotin product as a sample in return for an honest appraisal.

Biotin, also known as Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H is a water soluble vitamin in the B Group. It is not stored in the body so any excess is flushed out in urine. The University of Maryland has published a very interesting article on the topic which you may find helpful in deciding whether this supplement would be beneficial for you:

Vitamin H (Biotin) | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-h-biotin#ixzz3hkHXEYIy

As I am always very cautious when trying a new supplement and having read that:

1. High doses like this 10,000mcg product can cause increased urination (I already suffer from interstitial cystitis and had to cut down my B12 supplement as I constantly had cystitis-like symptoms without any UTI)

2. Reading reviews here and elsewhere plus articles online stating high doses cause skin breakouts

I decided to split each tablet into four and take 1/4 tablet daily in order to take a lower dose to begin with (2,500 mcg approx). So far, no ill effects and it is too early to see any positive benefits. I will also be ensuring that I drink plenty of water throughout the day while taking these. I will report back if any symptoms develop and when/if I see any benefits for hair and nails.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2015 9:19 PM BST

Kinps®Apple Certified 10ft/3m Extra Long 8 pin Lightning Cable White USB Cable Sync Charger Data Cord for Apple iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c / 6 / 6 Plus, iPod 7, iPad mini / mini 2/ mini 3, iPad Air / iPad Air 2 [MFI Certified]
Offered by Kinpsbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, Extra Long Apple MFi certified Lightning to USB Cable, 3 Aug. 2015
Perfect! I wanted this cable because when we are at our caravan, I like to sit outside in the sun and read using the Kindle App on my iPad - but if my iPad needs charging, I can't use it because the cord won't reach the plug point (where the charger has to be plugged in) inside! This has solved the problem effectively and inexpensively.

I chose this cable over others available because it is Apple MFi certified which is definitely what you should look for when buying any product not manufactured by Apple if you want to be sure of safety and quality when connecting to your Apple device.

I haven't used this to transmit data or back up files yet but this is obviously an extremely useful feature of this device.

Disclosure: I received a free sample of this product in return for a frank appraisal. I am really pleased with it and if I was thinking of giving it as a gift, the fact that it is in smart, retail packaging would be a big plus as well.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kinps®13000mAh High Capacity Fast Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank Triple USB Output with Smart Technology for Apple and Android Devices(black 13000 mah)
Offered by Kinpsbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Power Bank I Have Tried So Far, 3 Aug. 2015
This is definitely the best power bank I have tried so far. I like it best because:

* It is compatible with all my devices, Nokia phone, Nikon camera and my iPad

* Three devices can be charged at one time and several recharges possible before needing to recharge the power bank

* It is supplied in a smart box with instruction leaflet, USB cable and drawstring pouch for safe storage.

* Simple, no extra 'frills' like a flashlight as supplied on some other products I have tried, this one just does 'what it says on the tin' and provides a really effective and powerful charger for all mobile devices.

What would have made it even better?

* It would have been brilliant if there had been a Lightning to USB cable supplied as well but I guess this would have affected the cost and not everyone needs one anyway. Luckily Kinps supply these and I got this one ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZK5BQA8 ) to use with my charger.

* I would have preferred a matt finish case. - don't get me wrong, this looks and feels like a top quality product and works brilliantly - I just hate leaving finger marks on it!

Disclosure. I received a free sample of this product in return for my honest appraisal. I have to say that I would recommend it. It is supplied in a really nice retail packaging box which is important if you are thinking of buying it as a gift and also has clear, easy to follow directions. Supplied 75% charged so ready to use out of the box. A full charge takes about 8 hours from completely flat.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lacrosse Massage Ball By Pro Sportz - Specifically Designed For Trigger Point Massage. Meets NOCSAE Standard & NCAA / NFHS Certified
Offered by PRO SPORTZ

5.0 out of 5 stars The Easy Way To Release Muscle Knots, 3 Aug. 2015
Muscle knots can be a real pain! But I found using this Lacrosse massage ball is an effective an inexpensive way to deal with the problem.

Here is what you do for problems with shoulders, back, sciatica and all muscle areas.

For your back, place the ball between the area you want to treat and a smooth wall. Lean into the ball and roll it up and down or round and round, increasing or decreasing the intensity of the massage by how hard you lean into the wall.

An easy way to reposition the ball each time you move to a new area is to place it inside a long sock and hold the end of this over your shoulder. This makes it easy to raise and lower the ball as needed without the annoyance of dropping it on the floor as you change position.

For an even more intense massage for the back area, you can lay on the floor - just be sure the ball is only placed in areas of muscles, not between vertebrae and the floor.

For muscles in arms and legs, you can simply hold the ball in your hand to massage the area affected.

For all areas, when you feel a trigger point or a knot, hold the ball against it and try to relax (as it can be quite painful) and gently increase the pressure until you feel a release. Top tip is to try to control your breathing so you are breathing in and then breathing out slowly as you increase the pressure, this helps you to relax.

This Pro Sportz ball for me was much more effective than a tennis ball!
I have read lots of articles on how to perform this technique with a tennis ball but I have to say that the smooth surface, very dense rubber construction and weight of the ball made this one much more effective.

You can even use it on long journeys by train, plane or car, position it between you and the back of the seat to release tension and muscle knots.

Disclosure: I was offered a free sample of this ball by the seller in return for my feedback on its effectiveness. I would say that if you have muscle knots, I highly recommend the Lacrosse massage ball. Don't try to fix everything in one go, muscle knots respond best to two or three treatments spaced out over the day. Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins released.

Coconut Syrup, Natural Sweetener,250ml
Coconut Syrup, Natural Sweetener,250ml
Offered by Bali Nutra Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Nutritious and Lower In Calories Than Refined Sugar!, 2 Aug. 2015
This coconut syrup looks a little like a slightly thicker version of Maple Syrup and has a delicious slightly buttery, toffee flavour all of its own (does not taste of coconut!).

Coconut syrup is lower in calories than refined sugar too.

Coconut syrup, 256 calories per 100g
Refined sugar, 386 calories per 100g
Honey, 304 calories per 100g
Maple syrup, 261 calories per 100g

Things I like about this coconut syrup

* Packed with antioxidants, minerals and essential amino acids and has a lower Glycemic Index than either honey or sugar.

* Sustainable harvesting, tapping the coconut blossom to extract the syrup does not harm the tree in any way.

* This is the natural sap, nothing added or taken away.

* You do not need to use a lot to get a lovely rich, sweet flavour. One teaspoon is all I used in my morning green smoothie and it effectively counteracted the slightly bitter taste of the greens and gave a nice lift to the taste.

* Although I am not Vegan myself, the fact that this product is Vegan will be a big plus for health conscious users

* Sensible sized, recyclable glass bottle to enable the contents to be used within the recommended one month of opening. (Refrigerate after opening)

* 10% of all profits from this product will be donated to building local orphanages or to projects that develop waste recycling infrastructure on the island of Bali.

I already have lots of ideas for using this syrup, in homemade yogurt, to sweeten fruits, on pancakes, in flapjacks and more. It's delicious in freshly-brewed coffee too.

Disclosure. I was sent a bottle of this delicious syrup as a sample so that I could provide an honest review. I am really pleased with the product and with the company's ethos, (having checked out their website at www.balinutra.com) and will buy again.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kinzd® Waterproof Cell Phone Pouch with Detachable Lanyard for iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5c, 5s, Galaxy S6, S5, S4, HTC M8, M7 etc- Floating Waterproof Case for Beach, Water Park, Swimming Pool, Bathroom Shower, Bathtub, Hiking, Kayaking, Boating, Fishing and Camping [Black]
Offered by buyftb

4.0 out of 5 stars Wise Investment to Protect an Expensive Phone!, 28 July 2015
This is a really inexpensive way to protect an expensive (or even not so expensive) phone in the great outdoors, particularly on the beach or in heavy rain.

Although, having tested it out for myself, I can verify that the pouch is 100% waterproof, personally, I would not want to risk swimming with my phone in this waterproof pouch but I really value it for the protection from sand, dust and rain that it provides.

While some reviewers have mentioned that their phone is too large to fit in the pouch, we had no trouble with an iPhone or a Nokia and with my (smaller) phone, there was even room for my glasses as well which I am always worried will get scratched by sand when at the beach.

Things I particularly like are:
1. Easy to operate and very positive feel to the clip locks at the top of the case.
2. Lanyard is long enough to wear round the neck and the material is smooth and soft so will not chafe bare skin. Also can easily be rinsed to remove any sand, sun screen, etc.
3. Phone can be operated through the clear window of the pouch and there is no loss of picture quality when taking pictures with the phone in the case.

I would recommend inserting the phone 'head first' into the pouch so that whether you have the lanyard round your wrist or your neck, the phone will be right way up when you pick it up.

I think this is a great value item and a very good investment to avoid unnecessary repair bills for a phone damaged by sand, salt, dust or water.

I was given a voucher code to purchase this item as a sample. This has not affected my unbiased review above.

VicTsing 8000mAh Solar Panel Charger Power Bank Portable Waterproof/Dirtproof/Shockproof Dual USB Output with Flashlight Charger Backup External Battery Pack Charger for iPhone6 iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4 iPods iPad 5 4 3 2 Mini Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2 S1 Note 3 Note 2 Nexus 7 Sony Xperia Z2 Z1 L39H Z L36h Blackberry Z10 Nokia Lumia 1020 Motorola HTC One M8 Kindle Fire and Most Android Smart Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Lightweight and Portable 5V/1A Charger - Great Value, 27 July 2015
Brilliant little device, very efficient, lightweight and portable charger for a phone, iPad, e-cigarette or e-pipe batteries, Kindle and more!

Things I like:
* Small, lightweight and easy to pop in my bag to recharge my phone anywhere.
* Nice feel to the tough, rugged case, easy to hold.
* Neat USB/charging port cover.
* Single port to charge my phone, iPad or other device at 1A - (my husband has switched from tobacco to an e-pipe so this will be very handy if the battery needs charging while we are out).
* Can be recharged via a USB port on my computer or via a wall charger adapter which you can buy here on Amazon for just a couple of quid. or use your iPad or Kindle charging adapter for the purpose.
* Very bright flashlight. Press the 'on' button twice for a steady light, again for a pattern of light pulses and again for a steady on-off flashing and again to turn the light off.
* Neat hole for attaching device to bag or hanging it up to catch the best angle for solar charging
* Product supplied already fully charged which is a plus for me!

I read several other reviews and feel that maybe some people are expecting a little too much when they criticize the solar charging abilities of this device. First and foremost, it is a power bank, designed to be charged using mains electricity and carried, ready for use. The supplier states that the solar charging facility is designed for emergency use. For me, this feature is a nice plus and useful in an emergency but not the main feature. For the price, this is a great little device, with a very good Li-Polymer 8000mAh battery.

I received a sample product, free of charge from the supplier. I have given my unbiased review of this device which will be accompanying me everywhere in my handbag from now on!

Pill Crusher Grinder With Pill Carrying Compartment
Pill Crusher Grinder With Pill Carrying Compartment
Offered by Blukoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, Saves Wasting Money on Supplements that are not Being Absorbed in the Stomach!, 26 July 2015
Very good! I bought this product and although (as you can see from the pictures below), mine looks different from the pictures in the listing, I am very pleased with it.

I got it because I have some calcium citrate lozenge shaped tablets to take and without wishing to give you too much information, I found they were exiting my body in almost the same condition that they entered - so a total waste of money as obviously they were not being absorbed.
These pills proved a bit of a challenge for the pill crusher too - but having cracked the pill open (pic 3), using the crusher like a pepper grinder, screwing the lid back and forth, produced a nice powder in a very short time (pic 4). I was able to add this powder to a spoonful of yogurt without any problem.

Before you use a pill crusher on your own tablets, make absolutely certain that it is safe to do so. Some medicines (and supplements) must not be chewed or crushed. If in doubt, ask your pharmacist.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Organic Whey Protein Powder 420g - Soy Free Whey - Grass Fed Hormone Free - PINK SUN Certified Organic Whey Unflavoured

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, Great Value and Nice Taste!, 26 July 2015
I really like this unflavoured whey protein concentrate. It mixes perfectly in my morning smoothie without clumping. The things that were important to me in deciding to buy this product are:

*100% organic
* grass fed, hormone free cows produced the milk for this
* does not contain soy lecithin that many other whey products contain
* undenatured as treated at low temperatures, preserving the integrity of the protein
* high protein content at 83%
* no added sugar or flavourings
* good price

I have 2 scoops (using scoop supplied) in my morning smoothie (25 grams) and it is really nice to drink with no bitter taste. Pack says you can take this quantity two to three times per day but I really do not need to add any more protein to my daily diet than this one serving per day which makes it very economical at around £1 per day. Highly recommended and will definitely be buying again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7