Profile for Catherine > Reviews

Contemporary Appliqué
Contemporary Appliqué
by Julia Triston

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book, 12 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Contemporary Appliqué (Hardcover)
This is the second book by Julia Triston and Rachel Lombard, and I think that, like the first one, it merits five stars. It's a 'how to' book in that it incorporates some very practical suggestions and descriptions; I especially liked the section on methods of transferring designs. However, as well as practicalities, it also covers the historical and cultural context of appliqué. I found there was lots I didn't know, and really, I had no idea that appliqué had so many different aspects. The authors have gathered together a very wide range of images to illustrate the text, from all sorts of sources and in many different styles. There's plenty here to inspire and to educate.

Blogging for Creatives
Blogging for Creatives
by Robin Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers all my questions about blogging, and some I hadn't even thought of, 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Blogging for Creatives (Paperback)
I received this book a couple of days ago, at which point I knew next to nothing about blogging. So far the book has answered all my questions, concisely but thoroughly. It's beautifully produced, very well organised, and written in clear, accessible, English. What more could you want? If I actually follow through the plan of starting a blog I may find there are questions this book doesn't answer, but from my current standpoint it looks pretty comprehensive.

How to Be Creative in Textile Art
How to Be Creative in Textile Art
by Julia Triston

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely and useful book, 28 Oct. 2011
I wish this book had been available when I started my City & Guilds Certificate course. The authors say in their introduction that the book 'sets out a framework to guide you step by step through the processes of exploring, developing, making and evaluating your own stitched-textile project, placing an emphasis on the creative personal journey itself...'. They achieve this in six chapters under the headings of 'gathering', 'exploration and development', 'moving on to stitch' and 'making and evaluating'. This approach provides a very valuable template for people who want to make stitched textiles but don't quite know where to start, or how to follow through from their original ideas. The exploration of personal creativity is central to the book, and this sets it apart from many others in the field. There are no 'projects' here to copy, but plenty of good examples, lovely illustrations, lists of ideas and techniques, and suggestions.

Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative
Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative
by John O. A. Pagano

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it works, 17 Feb. 2008
This endorses all the other reviews. I have had psoriasis for over twenty years, gradually getting worse over that time, to the point where I was pretty much covered in it. I have now followed the dietary advice in this book for 6 weeks, and the psoriasis has practically gone. I still have a little on my scalp and behind my ears (i.e. in the places where it started all those years ago) but everywhere else is clear. I have been pretty assiduous about the diet, although I still have one cup of coffee per day. I haven't taken enough exercise, and I haven't done the colonic irrigation stuff that the book recommends, but it's still worked. I feel much better, and am sleeping much better than I have in years. The book is very American and frankly quite weird in places but do not be put off by any of this. It does what it says it will do, i.e. it cures psoriasis, and when you've been plagued by this unpleasant, confidence-sapping skin disease, that's all you need to know.