Profile for Vik77 > Reviews

Selections GFA246 Wood Design Apple Storage Rack
Selections GFA246 Wood Design Apple Storage Rack
Price: 99.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 17 Aug 2014
I bought mine from Selections a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, mine arrived without any instructions, screws or pre-drilled holes. The smell of the wood was very strong, too - almost overpowering, so I had to put the pieces in a room we rarely use to store them. I wrote to the company twice asking for the missing pieces/instructions, but got no response. I'm not a woodworker, though I'm very good at assembling IKEA-type stuff, but because of the lack of instructions or pre-drilled holes, I have ended up giving it to a relative who is a carpenter (he hasn't assembled it yet, either!). After two years, the wood still smelled quite strongly, and had exuded a white resin dust.

Gardman Fat Snax Tub (Pack of 50)
Gardman Fat Snax Tub (Pack of 50)
Offered by The Wild Bird Food Company
Price: 6.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Why have they changed? Birds less keen on new ones., 14 Mar 2013
These fat balls used to be great, birds loving them and finishing them off quickly, but in the last tub I bought the fat balls were different, much denser and harder in structure, looking a bit sawdusty, irregular in shape and hard to get into the Gardman feeder tube, and the birds don't like them very much, only eating them when the other feeders are out of food. It may be that my regular online supplier had a duff batch that month, but as it's difficult to tell the quality when purchasing each individual tub, I have stopped buying them, and I hope Gardman read this and look into their recipe.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 6:41 PM BST

Swatch Unisex Watch Colour Code Collection Cherry-Berry GR154
Swatch Unisex Watch Colour Code Collection Cherry-Berry GR154
Offered by TimeWatchShop
Price: 32.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Again, the noise!, 23 July 2012
As with the other reviewers, I bought this watch for the lovely colour but can't stand the ticking! It's really noisy - the other day my dentist paused and said 'that wall clock's gone funny'. I now rarely wear it, and certainly wouldn't wear it whilst watching TV or at a cinema. Another complaint is that, for a 'unisex' watch, it's on the big side. I had Swatches in the 80s but they were more petite and didn't tick like this!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 22 July 2012
We used to have one of these when I was a kid, but it has long since gone AWOL. I tried using Good Grips scoops - that was all my local shops seem to stock - but they performed badly and soon flaked/pockmarked, so I looked online for one of these. As with the other reviewer, I bought mine directly from the USA, because it was much cheaper. It is a wonderful bit of kitchen kit, good looking and lovely and smooth to use. It doesn't need heating between scoops because the heat from your hand is enough. If you want to keep it looking good - and it has classic American looks that are worth preserving! - wash it in the sink and don't let it scratch against cutlery. My neighbour has just bought an expensive ice-cream maker so I'm now using this a lot! If you love ice cream, it's really worth getting one of these.

Wesco Breadboy - Red
Wesco Breadboy - Red
Price: 65.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-looking and sturdy., 2 Jun 2012
This is a lovely breadbin, a very nice shade of red standing slightly proud of the worktop on chrome legs. It is shaped like a pill and has a nice, smooth opening, the top sliding back over the base section. I find it's quite roomy but I note the complaint in the other review: if you regularly buy those high square/rectangular sliced loaves this is probably not the right type of bin for you, but if you buy the sort of loaves or buns not baked in a square tin (which I do) this is fine.

Cutting Mat Kits from Swordfish - A5
Cutting Mat Kits from Swordfish - A5
Offered by ZIGGY Group
Price: 19.55

1.0 out of 5 stars High price but not high quality., 2 Jun 2012
This is a very poor quality item for the high price. The mat is stiff - almost slate-like - and slips around on the worktop when you try to cut on it. The tools supplied with it are poor quality, too - plasticky, whilst the metal of the ruler was so soft I managed to cut into it rather than along the edge when trying to cut card. I am really disappointed, especially considering it is much more expensive than the green mats you see advertised - I'm going to get rid of this useless thing and order one of them instead!

OXO Good Grips Ice Cream Scoop (points)
OXO Good Grips Ice Cream Scoop (points)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice shape, but coating flakes!, 26 May 2012
This is a nicely-shaped scoop, but I've only used mine a handful of times and already the silver coating on the scoop is flaking, so I am no longer going to use it - I don't want bits of chrome or whatever it is in my food. I don't want a replacement because I suspect the same thing will happen, so I'll demote it to the gardening tools trug instead. I have just bought a classic Zeroll scoop to replace it - we had something like it when I was a kid, though I notice the Zerolls sold on Amazon don't have any indication of the scoop size (there are several available), so I had to buy it elsewhere.

:KENWOOD, 1.6ltr kMix Boutique Kettle - Orange
:KENWOOD, 1.6ltr kMix Boutique Kettle - Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 5 May 2012
This is a great kettle. It is a comfortable weight and easy to handle, with its rubbery-grip handle and rubber touch plate on the lid, and (so far - I've had it a month) doesn't leak like many other kettles I've bought in recent years. The orange is a much nicer, more vibrant '60s/70s retro' orange than it looks in the photograph ( I have a lot of 'vintage' and modern stuff in that shade - I even had a room that colour once - hence my enthusiasm! And, yes, I do like the B-52's). The styling is a bit like those classic American 'push' bins (or R2D2!). It is quite noisy, but I'm not bothered about things like that. I ordered one from Amazon when it was on offer, but it was out of stock and I ended up buying mine from a local electrical retailer for about 40.00.

Anglepoise Type 1228 Floor Lamp, Seville Orange
Anglepoise Type 1228 Floor Lamp, Seville Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I opted for this model., 30 Mar 2012
I was wondering which type of Anglepoise to get (solid or translucent shade), but opted for this because it was on sale, and I'm glad I did. It's very useful as a flexible reading/work/craft light in the evenings, and the shade glows a lovely orange, which looks great with our 60s/70s furniture. In the day, with the light off, the shade is a soft, burnt orange colour (not dayglo). It looks quite delicate, but seems to be pretty robust for everyday use, and was very well packaged (each little bit in its own plastic sleeve) and easy to assemble.

Russell Hobbs 17874 1.7 L Brushed Belmont Kettle in Stainless Steel with Concealed 3 kW Element

2.0 out of 5 stars Water, water everywhere!, 28 Nov 2011
We've had this kettle for about a year now - it's nice to handle, lightweight (unlike many we tried in the shop that were heavy even when empty), and boils quickly, but, as with many modern kettles with high spouts, the spout is so close to the lid that you often end up with water spilling out of the lid and scalding your hands when filling hot water bottles. The other huge drawback is that it leaks water everywhere! I presume what is happening is that steam is trapped in the lid and handle, trickles down inside the handle and collects and leaks out of the black plastic part of the base, the result of which is that you have to be careful lifting the kettle off the base so no water drops into the electric part, and we have to wipe the worktop and base dry with a kitchen towel after every single use! This is certainly inconvenient, is wrecking our wooden worktops which need frequent re-oiling in the kettle area, and I don't think water drips and electricity are a very safe combination!

Page: 1 | 2