Profile for Yorksteve > Reviews

Content by Yorksteve

Yorksteve (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Qualcast Panther 30 Hand Powered Cylinder Lawnmower (30 cm Cutting Width) (Old Version) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for small lawns, 17 Sept. 2013
This is a pretty decent mower for the price. It is well constructed and easy to put together and the blades are a lot sharper than I expected. Out of the box and on to the lawn for the first cut took 10 minutes.

It will struggle to cut very long thick grass, even on the highest setting (it's easy to adjust this, just loosen the screws at the side and slide up or down and then tighten), but providing you mow your lawn regularly it is perfect and it does the job very quickly - especially as you aren't messing about with filling it with petrol or getting out extension leads to plug it in. My lawn isn't especially even but this still works fine and gives a neat cut.

The grass collector collects most of the cuttings though you quite often have to remove some grass by hand from around the blades as there is no vacuum effect like you get with the high powered mowers, but this is a minor point.

The only criticism I have is of the roller - it is pretty pointless having it if you want the mower to leave stripes. It's just not heavy enough to make a proper impact. The mower itself is pretty light and easy to move about but it still feels sturdy and well put together.

I would recommend this if you have a relatively small, square garden. Though I can see no reason why it wouldn't be ideal for bigger gardens either.

Screw Less 2.5" sata hdd USB 2 2.5 sata hdd hard drive case Enclosure for pc laptop, 2.5" HDD SATA Enclosure Caddy USB 2.0 For Laptop Hard Drive - XP, VISTA, WIN 7, MAC
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but effective, 9 Aug. 2012
I broke my Macbook but my hard drive was ok so I could still access it using this product. The quality is everything you'd expect for the price but it works. I wouldn't bother with this if you want to carry it about and use it regularly but it worked fine for me. I actually took the circuit board and USB connector out of the metal casing and just plugged the hard drive straight in.

I noticed other reviewers had problems with Macs but this worked fine with my new Macbook pro and old Macbook hard drive. I also had no problems with the double USB providing the power.

Fulton Stormshield Men's Umbrella
Fulton Stormshield Men's Umbrella
Price: £20.00 - £26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive, 2 Mar. 2012
This is a great brolly, a lot bigger than I was expecting but it does the job.

Well made and stands up to high winds - the top flaps open a little to let some air out from underneath and this stops the whole thing blowing away or breaking. The handle is also comfortable and it's not too heavy. Worth paying that little bit extra for something that is well built

GEAR4 HouseParty 3G Speaker Dock for iPod / iPhone
GEAR4 HouseParty 3G Speaker Dock for iPod / iPhone
Offered by Warehousebargains

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 10 Jun. 2010
I was a little disappointed with this, it's ok and it does the job, but seeing that it had 30W speakers I was expecting the sound quality to be better. It sounds a bit like listening to music being played straight from a laptop and it'd be pretty useless if you like music with a lot of bass.

I didn't buy it to listen to loud music however so it's ok for what I need it for, I just expected the sound quality to be better.

The remote control is ok, but you need to be pointing straight at it for it to work. The remote lets you scroll through your iPods menu, even when using an iPhone.

The audio cable that is supplied is very short (8-10 inches) so you might want something longer depending on what you plan to plug in and where you're positioning the speakers.

As for the design, it looks pretty sleek and it isn't too big. Overall it's ok, but don't expect the same sound quality as you'd get from a good hifi system, for that reason if you've got the space it might be better value to spend a bit extra on something bigger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 1:11 PM BST

Command Sawtooth Picture Hanger Kit with Command Adhesive Strips - 1 Pack - Hanger Holds up to 2 kg (5 lb) - 75 mm x 25 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Jun. 2010
I'm sure I wasn't alone in having doubts about these. I didn't think they'd be strong enough and thought they'd just fall off under the weight of a picture, but they really do work.

They are easy to apply to the wall, just stick one side of the adhesive pad to the plastic hook and stick the other side to the wall. Leave for an hour for the adhesive to bond and then it's ready.

They can support around 2kg, which is enough for an A3 sized glass picture frame.

Really impressed with these and will buy some more. They're ideal for those living in rented accomodation and also for those who own their own walls, afterall, nobody likes seeing lots of nail holes left when it comes to moving things around.

SUCK UK Stress Ball Paul
SUCK UK Stress Ball Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it out on Paul, 19 April 2010
This review is from: SUCK UK Stress Ball Paul (Misc.)
Paul takes a bit of a battering from me at times, but he stands up (or curls up into a ball) well to my abuse. He's stronger than he looks, you can even throw him across the room.

His rubber is tougher than other stress balls and he's a much more heavy duty stress reliever. What's more, he never complains.

Don't buy a normal stress ball, take it out on Paul instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2011 11:16 AM BST

Fruit of the Loom plain t-shirt Navy blue Medium (38" - 40" inch chest)
Fruit of the Loom plain t-shirt Navy blue Medium (38" - 40" inch chest)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 19 April 2010
You can't complain when tshirts are as cheap as this. They're well made and the cotton is thicker than the price would suggest. I bought a couple and they have kept their shape and colour after many washes.

Visible Dust Artic Butterfly SL700
Visible Dust Artic Butterfly SL700

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and it works, 19 April 2010
I have something of an obsession with cleanliness and was horrified after reading an article in a photography magazine to learn about sensor dust. When I checked my sensor there were a few spots which wouldn't show up on most photos but I wanted it to be super clean. After trying several methods to clean it I ended up trying the butterfly.

I was put off at first by the price but I'd seen plenty of other good reviews and I'm happy to report it works better than any other method and it does the job quickly and it's very easy to use. Pop in a battery, charge the fibres and lightly brush over the sensor and any tiny bits of dust are picked up. And it has the advantage of not leaving any grease or residue behind.

If you change lenses fairly often then this is an essential bit of kit.

Dead Fred Pen Holder
Dead Fred Pen Holder
Offered by The Present Store

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP Fred, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Dead Fred Pen Holder (Electronics)
It was a sad end for Fred, but he does look good on my desk and he's certainly a talking point.

He's well made and can support lots of different pens - even pencils - of different weights. Though his stab wound is only big enough for standard sized pens and not chunkier types.

Comes in annoying clamshell plastic packaging though which is always a nightmare to open.

Looks great on a desk alongside Splat Stan.

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocket by name, rocket by nature, 17 April 2010
When I bought this I expected it to merely blow air, but it really packs a bunch and blows at air at quite a force. It's great for cleaning cameras but also computer keyboards and as the air comes out of a small hole you can be very direct with where the air is going.

Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it's well worth it. It's also pretty well made, the rubber seems very tough so no chance of it getting ripped or damaged.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3