Profile for Nick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally brilliant, 16 Jun 2014
I'm 61 and have been an avid reader all my life and this rates as one of the very best books I have ever read. I found myself reading with a permanent smile on my face, with some parts laugh-out-loud hilarious.

The crazy plot, delicious black humour and wonderfully imaginative scenarios had me completely enthralled from start to finish. Having said that, you do need to get a few chapters into the book before the whole thing really picks up.

In film terms it's "Forrest Gump" meets "Little Miss Sunshine" meets "Nuns on the run" and is a work of brilliance. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle (Picture Puffin)
Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle (Picture Puffin)
by Chief Seattle

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 19 May 2014
Quite simply some of the most humbling, beautiful, inspiring, spiritual thoughts ever uttered by a human being. Please do yourself a favour and just buy it.

Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Offered by Amore DVD

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, but for all the wrong reasons., 19 May 2014
This review is from: Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
Big Minogue fan and expected big things and new directions from this. But it's same old, same old, with perhaps only three decent tracks. Album and singles are far from setting fire to the charts, so I suspect next album will be make or break.

TeckNet® In Car Universal FM Transmitter
TeckNet® In Car Universal FM Transmitter
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes it works, but..., 19 May 2014
First, yes, with careful tuning on your car stereo, it does work. But you will get some humm and crackles. I like prog and hard rock so at the volumes I enjoy, it's not noticeable - in fact nothing is!! But if you're after Au clair de la lune, forget it.

Songs of Civil War
Songs of Civil War

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 19 May 2014
This review is from: Songs of Civil War (Audio CD)
Don't you just wish sometimes people just sang the songs in the way that is familiar?! This is still a very nice album, but personally I would have preferred the choir being more faithful to the well-loved renditions in a few of the numbers.

Logitech K120 Keyboard - UK Layout
Logitech K120 Keyboard - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard., 19 May 2014
I know it may be a personal thing, but this keyboard has just the right weighting, layout and responsivity for me. I'm an advertising copywriter and type for several hours every day so it's very important to have a good keyboard and for the price I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Stagg SUVM-A100BK Foldable A Stand for Ukuleles, Mandolins and Violins - Black
Stagg SUVM-A100BK Foldable A Stand for Ukuleles, Mandolins and Violins - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Built for purpose., 19 May 2014
I use this for my electric mandolin and it's solid, well built and does its job. I would recommend it.

Behringer MS16 Personal Monitor System
Behringer MS16 Personal Monitor System

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected and perfect for small desktop home studios., 19 May 2014
I've been producing music both at home and in professional studios for many years and can honestly say these speakers work surprisingly well in the small home studio environment. OK, so I have a pair of serious JBL monitors too, but for everyday work on Cubase and even for rough mixing on my PowerBook or PC, they do a very creditable job.

The clarity and stereo reproduction is excellent, they're pretty loud and produce very crisp sounds. The tone controls aren't the most dynamic and yes, as most other reviewers mention, the bass doesn't boom, but once again, they're perfectly good enough for most home studio needs. And the truth is that when it comes to final mixing, I don't even use the JBLs but always reach for my Sennheiser headphones instead. Or go and reproduce the whole thing in a pro studio. So it's horses for courses.

In my view, the Behringer MS16s are your best option unless you can afford to spend £300++ and go for some professional studio monitors. But do you really need them for home use, or is it just vanity like having a never-gigged Marshall stack in your bedroom? I'll share a salutary lesson I was given some years ago. I proudly took my latest CD into a record producer's studio which was filled with enough equipment to raise the Titanic with monitors the size of monoliths. But the producer took me out to his car where he played my CD through his stereo so he could hear it in the same way as others would. That's why you'll also find the best studios have a standard radio sitting somewhere on their desk so they can play the final mix through it - and you'll be surprised how many times a mix gets changed because things have been overproduced and over-EQ'd to the point of getting lost when it comes to playback 'back in the real world'!

Remember, a great song will always stand out. And these speakers will certainly not stand in the way of you producing great sounding music and excellent demos. So yes, I would recommend them for desktop home studios.

Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise!, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
Grew up with prog rock and am huge Yes and Pink Floyd fan. Rush never quite did it for me as, between moments of brilliance, they can be quite ordinary and wayward. But make no mistake, this is a superb album from start to finish. It's full of pace, passion and excitement and has some of the most pulsating bass riffs I've ever heard on a rock album.

For me it's more rock than prog rock and there are none of the ethereal synths and cosmic type moods, structures and sentiments of Floyd, Yes, Marillion etc. This is full on rock and hurtles along, never running low on inspiration. Highly recommended.

Photos That Changed the World
Photos That Changed the World
by Peter Stepan

4.0 out of 5 stars Events not photos, 24 July 2012
This is a great book but it's more about the events that changed the world, not the photos. Many of the photos are just selected from many that would have been appropriate and are not necessarily great photos in themselves. Amongst notable exceptions are the napalm child in Vietnam. Still well worth owning.

Page: 1 | 2