Profile for ARWoollock > Reviews

Content by ARWoollock

ARWoollock "We are limited only by our imagination®"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Set of Six Moroccan Tea Glasses- Blue
Set of Six Moroccan Tea Glasses- Blue
Offered by Moroccan Bazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for tealights, 2 Jun. 2015
These are really lovely glasses for tea-lights. Not sure I would consider using them as drinking glasses, though. Also, another reviewer said that theirs broke, but these are pretty sturdy glasses and to be honest I would have preferred them to be a bit MORE delicate. The only slight minus I have is that as I want to use them for tea-light I would have preferred a mixed box and would suggest to the seller that they split boxes and sell them with two glasses of three colours in them, that way they will expand their market and potential customer base.
Comment Comment | Permalink

TOOGOO(R) Billiard/Pool/Snooker Towel Cloth Cue Shaft Slicker Burnisher Cue Shaft Cleaner Polisher
Offered by angemart1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish; avoid!, 15 May 2015
Is absolutely not 'fit for purpose' as laid out in the Sale of Goods Act (1979, section 14) . Firstly it does not slide all the way down a standard (Powerglide) cue, and secondly it has hard material inside - something like the hook side off of velcro. This is likely to cause damage to the cue and cannot (should not) be used by anyone who cares about their cue. Utter rubbish.

Homegames Pool Snooker Cue Cleaning Cloth - Cue Polishing cloth
Homegames Pool Snooker Cue Cleaning Cloth - Cue Polishing cloth
Offered by Cuesports & Leisure Products

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish; avoid!, 15 May 2015

SODIAL(R) Billiard/Pool/Snooker Towel Cloth Cue Shaft Slicker Burnisher Cue Shaft Cleaner Polisher
Offered by PGTA

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish; avoid!, 15 May 2015

Offered by CUESOUL

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish; avoid!, 15 May 2015
Not only did this tiny piece of cloth take over two weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, but when it finally did it, it is absolutely not 'fit for purpose' as laid out in the Sale of Goods Act (1979, section 14) . Firstly it does not slide all the way down a standard (Powerglide) cue, and secondly it has hard material inside - something like the hook side off of velcro. This is likely to cause damage to the cue and cannot (should not) be used by anyone who cares about their cue. Utter rubbish.

Peradon 2693 Aluminium 3/4 Cue Case - Natural Aluminium
Peradon 2693 Aluminium 3/4 Cue Case - Natural Aluminium
Offered by Sports Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy lightweigh case with a unique foam interior, 4 April 2015
I have only just received this so I hope my review is not too early... But from first impressions I can say that this is an excellent product. My initial observations would be:
Pros -
Lightweight,
Well constructed
Great inner section that is foam rather than hard dividers
The hinge runs the length of the case
Cons -
Will the foam last?
The balance is not the best when it has the cue inside
The grip feels a little awkward - it doesn't appear to have the same tension front and back

As I say, I have only just got this and haven't carried outside, so these are simply my first observations.

AKG K44 Closed Back  Headphones
AKG K44 Closed Back Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 30 Mar. 2015
For obvious reasons I prefer 'proper headphones' unfortunately, however, I have a slightly pointy head which makes wearing enclosed headphones a bit uncomfortable over long periods. Even headphones like my AKG K240s don't fit that well. I guess it is a balance between the size of the cups verses the material/shape of the headband and the tension between all of that. To be honest it still amazes me that before headphone manufacturers even get to designing the driver units, the actual comfort (appears to) not have been considered. These however, are remarkably comfortable and have more than acceptable sound quality. I use them for audio transcription and have been able to wear them for hours; most impressed.

Colgate C350 Max White One ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate C350 Max White One ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush

2.0 out of 5 stars To be avoided, 10 Mar. 2015
My friend bought the Colgate C200 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush in Boots. When I went to buy that one, it was out of stock, however, this item was on sale. Judging by the indicated price reductions (from list price down to sale) I assumed that this model had superseded hers, as this is after all a 350 (compared to a 200) - furthermore as this had never been for sale in Boots, I assumed it was the latest model. Having owned and used a plethora of electric toothbrushes in my life, I can say that whilst this does the job, it is the most primitive one I have encountered and really only useful as a temporary travel brush. Using it every day I find tiresome. Firstly it is pencil thin, plasticky, too light, has no grip and is not ergonomically designed. The on/off button is placed right where you hold it meaning you will likely turn it off when you are using it. As it is round it also doesn't stand up well and there is no carry case to boot. My advice would be to go for the C200 which is ergonomically designed, is not round, stands up, feels better, has a grip and comes with a travel case.

Book of Longing
Book of Longing
by Leonard Cohen

1.0 out of 5 stars A half idea extended twice as far as it should have been, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Book of Longing (Paperback)
Of course it is a moot point that I am a huge fan of Cohen (otherwise why I else would I have paid list price for this at Waterstone's?) So why do I find this offering so bad? There are three distinct reason why, but before sharing those with the reader, I should point out that unlike reviewing a 'product' that either works or doesn't, perhaps breaks or is defective in some way; the review of literature (small 'l') is invariably a subjective pursuit and that is why any comments to this post are meaningless and will not be read. Whilst you might disagree, you can never 'argue' with someone's subjective opinion; the joys of democracy!

My first, and perhaps real problem with this offering is that it is only really 'half' an idea, it suffers from being premature, not fully formed and as a result lacks cohesion and clarity. What exactly is it supposed to be? A collection of lyrics, poems, thoughts, drawings? A scrapbook of life? A 'train-read' or an airport book? I am not sure and if truth be told Cohen doesn't know either. What this smarts of is a great idea (probably a drunken one) that is incredibly poorly executed. It is the sad irony of demand for the famous beyond their natural 'shelf-life' - when their light is no more than fading rays emitted by a dying star, it is no longer true radiance emanating from the growth, desire, and vibrancy of youth; the underdog.

Second point; to make it (the above) worse, the raw materials are not that bad! Cohen's pen drawings are fairly competent, his sketches OK. Obviously his lyrics and poetry can be sublime, and are in places, but only in places. Too often however, the drawings are re-sized, reflected, and re-used, and the peculiar images that look like they were generated after a session playing on some 'paint-and-draw' software are horribly stagnant and inert. Too often the prose is just drivel, and the poetry unpoetical; the curious paragraphs left needing.

Finally, what I dislike about this book is that it shows the astute reader something which Cohen himself knows only too well, and something he has been trying to tell us, his audience for a long while; but something we won't listen to; a joke he has shared with his detractors and critics, but which we, the faithful have yet to interpret. Namely that he is not the new messiah, he is not that which has been projected on him, he is not that talented, he has been miscast, misplaced, wrongly filed and miss assigned; he's on the wrong floor, in the wrong box, on the wrong shelf. Now he could have renounced that position quicker, shouted much louder, but he is lazy, he is too fond of kind comments, free lunches, and willing women that this position generates. If he were to reveal his true character, his true nature, he fears the legs would close and the converted re-convert (or would the projection be too strong)?, that he would be alone (which is where he is anyway). But alone by choice and alone by fortune are quite different. Yes, Cohen has moments of brilliance, utter brilliance in some cases, but he is almost naked now and his once sharp suits are in rags. Yes, he is persistent and charming, and perhaps his life, his existence, his output says more about us, his audience, that it does about him. Maybe he was always the (un)willing performer, the jester, the stunt-double, the fall-guy, the designated driver, and not lead into which he was pushed.

What this project really needed was a creative art-director who had a clear vision of what this curious melange could be; someone who would push Cohen out of his lazy zone and make him extend himself to produce something of worth that would not only satisfy the sheep, but attract nearby goats too. Sadly his name in lights blinded both he and the slathering publishers into taking this nub of an idea through to press. And as I have stated before, in doing so it pushes out the next up-an-coming prospect who would not have got a break as a result. In closing I say leave this type of self-congratulatory drivel to the vanity presses and leave literature to the people who deserve to be published on the strength of their ideas alone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2015 4:40 PM GMT

Bodum 1928 Chambord Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel - 8 Cup /1.0 L
Bodum 1928 Chambord Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel - 8 Cup /1.0 L

3.0 out of 5 stars The plunger is too tight in the glass, and the glass is too tight in the cradle., 28 Jan. 2015
I own a 2-cup Bodum chrome press, and for French presses, I have only ever used them. Whilst friends have had problems with the cheaper plastic ones and also their thermal glasses, I have enjoyed years of happy coffee making. As the 2-cup is not really enough for a Sunday I decided to buy the larger 8-cup. When the first product arrived with a small nick out of the class, but Amazon soon replaced it. My new press is great, made to the same very high standards I would expect from a product at this price-point, however, there is a discrepancy in the 'fit' of the plunger. In engineering terms it might only be a fraction of a hair's width off, but off it is. The plunger is too tight in the glass, and the glass is too tight in the cradle meaning the glass cannot be removed to be hand-washed and I have to wash the whole unit. This will mean that the chrome will not only likely scratch but will eventually rust, whereas my 10 year-old 2-cup is still pristine. Disappointing. My advice would be to perhaps stump up the extra cash and buy one from a shop where you could check the plunger fit before purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17