Profile for ARWoollock > Reviews

Content by ARWoollock

ARWoollock "We are limited only by our imagination®"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Waterman Carene Black Lacquer Silver Trim Fine Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed
Waterman Carene Black Lacquer Silver Trim Fine Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed

4.0 out of 5 stars Having owned it for over a year and used it pretty much every day I can say that it is ..., 4 Dec 2014
I received this a leaving present and initially chose it due only to the style. Having owned it for over a year and used it pretty much every day I can say that it is faultlessly smooth in the flow of ink. It only ever dries as it should - when it is getting low on ink and I use the standard converter with Waterman ink, so would recommend that combination. It feels good in the hand and looks impressive too. If there are gripes, and there are, then I would say that the fact the metal foot doesn't align with the nib (quite an important aspect, with a design like this) is very annoying and can only be rectified by unturning it a quarter of a screw. The other low point is the material. I am super careful with this and yet there are scuffs around the nib where the cap must have touched it when being applied, there are also a few scuffs on the body and yet this lives inside my suit or coat pocket. All in all, I would recommend the product though, especially as a fine celebratory gift; the very least it will do it impress your friends, and it might even improve your writing!

Acrylic Paint - Special Offer Multi Pack
Acrylic Paint - Special Offer Multi Pack
Offered by Yellow Moon UK Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Image not to scale, 20 Sep 2014
Whilst I don't think the company was 'intentionally' deceitful about the size of the bottles (they Do state the volume as being 170 - but how many people can visualise that?). Their 'product image' is, however, either photoshopped or originally shot against a white background, and is thus, difficult to determine the actual size of the bottles. I was quite disappointed by the smallness of these bottles, and if you are expecting stout squeezy bottles full of paint, you will no doubt also be disappointed. Whilst I haven't used them yet. so can't confirm how far the paint will go, I am anticipating it not being enough. For the price (they are not cheap) I would suggest then, that you can find cheaper elsewhere. Certainly not recommended if you are working with large groups and they squeeze out more than they need. Shop around.

Addendum
Having used the paints I can say they are excellent. very easy to use straight out the bottle, and although they are runny (be careful) a little goes a long way! I would suggest either the facilitator dishing out the paint or putting them in resealable 'caps' otherwise it will soon be gone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 10:35 AM BST

RSVP Terry's Tamper
RSVP Terry's Tamper
Offered by US-Kitchen Company

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold by the US-Kitchen Company, made in Taiwan!, 11 Sep 2014
Well, if there was ever a product that epitomised the mantra, 'you get what you pay for' then this is it.

I think a lot of people rave about this because it is 'cheap' - but is it cheap? Or have we just become accustomed to paying through the nose for shiny metal - which is essentially what it is. I'd argue the latter.

In the description they say 'made of heavy cast alloy' - which of course could be any recycled material/junk metal (hence it would be cheap). The product is however, NOT heavy, and by the very fact it is made of an alloy is proof of that. It is quite light and this also explains the 'free' postage, because were it heavy that wouldn't be thrown in.

In terms of quality, well, as a piece of cast alloy you might think there is not much room for debate on quality, but this product proves there is. As you can see from my customer photos, the two-part cast has a very thick and unsightly lip that runs along the joint - conveniently this cannot be seen their product photo! There is no sign of finishing nor refining either and this means that with the added ridge sticking out, the tamper won't fit into my espresso basket and thus won't tamp tightly. So I will have to use the smaller end and move it around - risking an uneven tamp. Furthermore, the tamping surface is not flat/level, it is slightly convex but not enough to give the impression that this is a genuine design, rather a shoddy finish.

My advice? Pay a bit more and buy a product with style, class; and one that you will be proud of and enjoy using. if you need a tamper for camping (which is what this one will end being used for) that is cheap and light, then buy one of these.

Please close this door - Mandatory Sign
Please close this door - Mandatory Sign
Offered by safetysignsupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Super thick vinyl sticker, 11 Sep 2014
Superb sticker on very thick vinyl. Speedy delivery too.I bought these to stick on the inside and outside of the entrances to my apartment building as people keep leaving the doors open (postman included!). Whilst I am convinced people may simply ignore them (do signs ever work?) at least i am going to try to resolve the problem through passive means.

VonShef Stainless Steel Milk Jug Suitable for Coffee, Latte & Frothing Milk (600ml) Grade 202 Stainless Steel
Offered by Designer Habitat

1.0 out of 5 stars VonShef sounds German, made in China!, 30 Aug 2014
VonShef sounds German, made in China!
A fine looking product at first glance reveals that it is just a stainless jug that could be bought in PoundLand. The Germanic sounding name is a conscious attempt to frame the product as being European in origin; to evoke a pseudo German-Swiss engineering legacy and stimulate neurological metaphors of quality, style and excellence. A legacy to which this Chinese manufactured product has no legitimate right to claim, align with nor assign itself to.

Not surprisingly given the above, my jug arrived with dents, scratches and pits at the welding spots. Quite inferior, would not recommend.

-----
Addendum.
Having complained to the manufacturer I received EXCELLENT customer service, and a full refund in a matter of days. For this, they should be applauded as so many sellers use on-line sales as a way to negate or ignore their statutory responsibilities.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Aerolatte Frother with Stand, Stainless Steel
Aerolatte Frother with Stand, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great physics, 26 Aug 2014
I have to say that if you can't get this to work, you are likely making one of the following to major errors:
i) Heating the milk too much,
ii) Using full-fat milk.
That said, however, it will froth full-fat milk if it's cold.

Furthermore, I would also suggest a couple of points (and no I am not being sarcastic, when I say that) the potential purchaser needs to stop and think a little about the physics of what they are trying to do and what this machine is capable of (and what it's not). What I mean by that is that if you understand what is going on in terms of how the milk (volume) is appearing to be expanded in mass by the act of simply adding air (and nothing more) then I think you will be moving from a good starting point. There are also a couple good videos on YouTube, which you can find if you search, one from the manufacturer and the other from a third party.

A number of other people have also mentioned the stand, and I think that is a big selling point too. Whilst I have issues with the finish on mine (I'll mention this later) I would certainly recommend paying a bit more for the stand version because if not I could see how you will easily bend the wand if you shoved it in with your cutlery.

As for the finish, well it is (surprisingly for these days) actually stainless steel. This version apparently also has a beefed up motor and thicker wand - but I haven't seen another model to compare to verify that.

The only problem I have with mine, and this most likely relates to Amazon, not the manufacturer per se. is that whilst the stand was wrapped in plastic, the frother was not. In fact the fold-out portion of the box where the frother was placed is WAY too small. The end result is that it was very difficult to retrieve (without pulling the actual wand, which for obvious reasons I did not want to do) and as a result the actual body has a number of scratches on the surface. My stand too, although well-protected liiked like a 'Friday afternoon' version as it is not quite symmetrical. I did mail Amazon about this but no response as yet. So, my key reason for mentioning this is (apart from the obvious), if you are planning on buying it as a present, beware! it could be pretty disappointing for whomever gets the gift.

Gustbuster Classic Umbrella - Black, 48 Inch
Gustbuster Classic Umbrella - Black, 48 Inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Never go back to single-canopy, 24 Aug 2014
Double-canopy umbrella, sturdy and strong. Physics will teach us that a single canopy umbrella is a no-no, yet it amazes me that even today they are being manufactured and sold. If you buy an umbrella (this or another) you have to go double! Looks impressive, made from quality material, and can handle Belfast weather, what more could one ask!

Hahnemuhle Watercolour Postcards
Hahnemuhle Watercolour Postcards
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars Too thin and also substandard quality, 24 Aug 2014
I love the idea of these, but there are problems with the product.

Firstly the card (substrate would be a better word) is far too flimsy. Not sure what the grammage is but you certainly couldn't post it as-is, it has to go in an envelope, which in some places will put up the cost and kind of defeats the purpose. In fact, the paper i so thin that even using water-soluble pencil-crayons and a light wash will make it curl right up like a trick fish from a party cracker.

Second MAJOR problem, which I only discovered too late when I got towards the second half, was that these were stacked too quickly after printing, i.e., they weren't dry and so the front face has the address lines on it, and they are not that faint! So basically half the pack is sub-standard and should have gone back.

Would not purchase again, nor recommend.

Fulton Ambassador Men's Umbrella Black One Size
Fulton Ambassador Men's Umbrella Black One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and strong, 24 Aug 2014
Bought this to keep in my briefcase. For a compact umbrella it has a surprisingly large cover. It is made of very sturdy stuff with high-grade canopy. A great buy.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as the photograph image., 24 Aug 2014
As per other reviews, this product is not the same as the one that arrived; the one that arrived does not have the light which was a point in choosing it! Whilst this seems a reasonably good product my angle-pose does occasionally suddenly dim, which it never did when it was connected directly to the mains. Is it thus extension lead? Can't say, but certainly that is the only change I have made, so probability would assume so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15