Profile for Mark V > Reviews

Content by Mark V

Mark V (Wales)

TP-Link TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router(2.4GHz 450Mbps, 5GHz 450Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Printer Sharing, FTP Server and Media Server)

3.0 out of 5 stars Took 3 attempts to get one that worked...., 2 Jun 2013
I have quite a few TP-Link devices and they have never given me any problems so I thought this would be the same, but I was wrong.... The first one to arrive was set up and running in 10-15 minutes but none of my devices could detect its wifi signal although in wired mode (using an Ethernet connection) it worked perfectly, so that went straight back. The second one was more of a problem in that I couldn't get it to connect to the internet. This time I rang TP-Link customer support and to their credit was talking to someone within minutes. However, after nearly two hours of trying everything under the sun, the nice Chinese lady on the other end admitted defeat and suggested I returned it. After much soul searching I decided to give the TP-Link router a final chance and ordered a third one and lo and behold it was up and running in 10-15 minutes with both wired and wireless connectivity! I must admit that my Kindle Fire HD does lose the wireless signal regularly requiring me to turn the wireless on and off to get it back, but I think that this might be a Kindle fault (although my wife says her iPhone sometimes loses the wifi signal....). So would I recommend it? Probably and mainly because it is so easy to get it up and running when it works, but that could be my familiarity with TP-Link routers (this is about the third model I've owned and still use the old ones).

Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Offered by Empire Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to stream music, 25 Aug 2012
I bought this to replace my Brennan which in technology terms is now looking a bit outdated. Setup was a doddle and I have it connected to a TP-Link Powerline device (quality is great) rather than wireless. Used the headphones connection to connect to my Bose Wave music system (why do Bose have such rubbish connectivity?) and it sounds great. Downloaded the Squeezepad app for iPad to control it (this is a paid for app rather than the free Logitech app - looks nicer but actually is almost just a nicer looking interface that is identical in function to the Logitech app, but does access internet information on the track/ artist etc... which is a nice touch).

One word of warning, make sure your music is well organised before you download and run the Logitech Music Server software as otherwise you will spend weeks (as I did) reorganising your music. If you have all your music in iTunes (or imported through iTunes) or in MP3 format with all the tags present (from Amazon for instance) you should be OK. But if like me you have your music in WAV (native CD) format then you need to convert it all into a different format (I chose M4A - the iTunes lossless format on the basis that it would work for iTunes and the Squeezebox). Once you have it all converted then you need to create the tags (the information that tells the software the name of the artist, album, track etc....) - I used mp3tag ([...] ) for this this but you do need to know what you are doing. Otherwise you will need to reimport all your music from your CDs into a format that supports and creates the tags automatically (such as iTunes). Sounds complicated but more because I had all my music in WAV format because of the Brennan.

Jacob Jensen Cordless Doorbell with Flashing Push Button Chime, Black/ Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, 25 Aug 2012
After getting through numerous cheap door bells decided to see if the old saying 'you pay for what you get' is true. And it is.

Looks good, works great, no complaints. Worth it just for the solid bell push.

Gigaset SL910 home phone with Touchscreen and Bluetooth
Gigaset SL910 home phone with Touchscreen and Bluetooth
Offered by sotel-germany

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better......, 25 Aug 2012
Really nice looking phone and sound quality is great. But......

- the keyboard is not very responsive, you end up pushing hard but actually it's not pressure sensitive (is it capacitive? Do you need sweaty fingers to make it work properly)?

- its reeeeaaaally slow. You press a button and it takes ages to respond.

- during a call it reverts to a 'service' screen which displays all sorts of technical gibberish which if you need to access useful stuff like loudspeaker or keypad, just gets in the way and causes confusion.

- setting up the phone book is a pain. Every time I tried to access the contact information I ended up calling them instead. A simple warning message such as 'Do you want to call this contact' would make life so much easier. But you do get used to this.

- menus are confusing until you get used to them.

What you might want to know is that you can pair other phones to the base station - I paired my old Panasonic as well as another SL910 and a Gigaset L410.

However, saying all this and regretting what a great product this phone could have been, it still is a great looking phone and just for its looks and feel I forgive it's faults (just).

TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point
TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with BT Home Hub 3, 25 Aug 2012
I have this set up as an access point connected to a wired ethernet point at the other end of my house where the BT wireless signal is non-existent. Works like a dream and fully compatible with BT Home Hub 3.

Setup is relatively easy but you have to configure it using a computer that is is disconnected fom your router/network as its iP address conflicts with the Home Hub so you need to change it. If you follow the instructions provided its not too difficult.

My only complaint (and it is an issue) is that it loses it's Internet connection about every 2-3 weeks and it needs to be turned off and back on again. The wireless signal stays on so you only realise the internet connection is lost when your emails stop or you get a browser error.

Hedgehog Gutter Guard Leaf Filter
Hedgehog Gutter Guard Leaf Filter
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Hedgehog Gutter Guard Leaf Filter
I've bought this before and it really is a good solution for keeping your gutters clear. I now have all my guttering 'hedgehogged'. With lots of trees around us its a godsend. Easy to fit although a bit cumbersome if there's only one of you. It would be nice if they supplied this with gutter ties as it would be better secured (a quick trip down to the local DIY store fixed that).

Aria C2 Corded Telephone - Red
Aria C2 Corded Telephone - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem using it, 29 July 2012
This is a really nice looking phone but now sits unused in the bottom of a drawer. Two problems - firstly it didn't seem to be compatible with our other phones causing none of them to work properly. Secondly the lack of a display meant that it wasn't practical to store numbers in memory as you then had to remember which number related to which entry - I thought that this would be ok but when you don't have a display you really miss it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 10:37 AM BST

Soprano Outdoor Wall Lantern
Soprano Outdoor Wall Lantern
Offered by FirstChoiceLighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what itsays on the box, 29 July 2012
Nice light and does what I want it to do. Have it mounted on the gatepost entrance to our courtyard parking and gives good (but not too much) light. Only criticism is that its supplied without a bulb and you can't buy the bulb from your local hardware store - so make sure you order the bulb at the same time.

TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with BT Homehub 3, 27 April 2012
I have thick stone walls in my house and receiving a wireless signal in my sitting room from my BT Homehub 3 located at the other end of the house is impossible. I have looked at various forums and it seems wireless extenders do not work with the BT Homehub 3. Having heard that one of the other TP-Link products may work I took a flyer and decided to give this one a try and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked with no problems. I have a pair of PA211 powerline extenders and although I struggled to get them all paired (with the 281 you need to hold the pairing button for 1 second not 3-8 seconds) and the software failed to detect it (faulty Cat 5 cable) in the end it was all worthwhile. Seems to work fine for web browsing etc... although I haven't tried downloading large files yet.