Profile for Julian Browne > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Diamond Rainbow
Diamond Rainbow
Offered by Jac in a box

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as maneuverable as a stunt kite but it spends a lot more time in the air and the kids love it., 23 Dec 2014
This review is from: Diamond Rainbow (Toy)
Bought this kite for the [cough] kids so they could try some flying over Christmas. Last year we had one of those two-string stunt kites which looked the business but was mostly the business at flying up and right back down again with a thwack. I got this one because many of the reviews said "easy to fly". It is. A quick tie of the main cord and up it went. It practically jumped out of my hand and into the sky. Not as maneuverable as a stunt kite but it spends a lot more time in the air and the kids love it.

100 Assorted Pokemon Commons and Uncommons
100 Assorted Pokemon Commons and Uncommons
Offered by Gaming Broker SHIP FROM USA

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but specific mix must be luck of the draw, 11 July 2013
Nice set of cards. Arrived on time and nicely packaged etc but there are lots (and lots) of duplicates. I could have coped (or rather could have coped with my son's whining) with some duplicates in a pack of 100 - good for swapping at least - but it's not one or two copies of some cards it's more like ten copies.

Harvey Walden Presents Fighting Fit, Fighting Fat [DVD] [2002]
Harvey Walden Presents Fighting Fit, Fighting Fat [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Harvey Walden
Offered by BLT-Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Every day, it's the only way, 12 July 2012
I wanted to get fit but didn't think I'd stick to a gym class. What I did think I could do was stick a DVD in every other morning and follow some sort of routine. So I tried Nell, Davina, etc but they got a bit boring quite quickly. Plus you spend half the time working out what step you are supposed to be doing instead of doing it. Then I read the reviews for Fighting Fit, Fighting Fat and thought it had to be worth a shot.

The format is quite simple: there's a warm-up circuit consisting of some marching (normal, legs apart, semi crouched), some lunges, knee-lifts, hammer curls, upright rowing, arm presses and stretches; a beginners circuit (isometric exercises like jacks, crunches, skipping, boxing, press-ups, jog on the spot, back extensions, skiing, side lunges, squat thrusts, etc) with marching in between; an intermediate circuit (same exercises, some slightly harder) with a kind or march/hop in between; an advanced circuit (same exercises, some harder again) with running in between; and a cool-down circuit (a cut down version of the warm-up).

All the exercises are easy enough to pick up. There are three 'soldiers' (not convinced they're actually military, not that it matters) doing the exercises, sometimes with easier/harder variations. Harvey counts down to each change and tells you what's coming next, often with a 'you better not be sitting on your butt at home' thrown in.

To be perfectly honest the first time I put it in I made it through the warm-up circuit and the beginner's circuit and had to turn it off. But I was pretty unfit. A couple of days later I did it again and felt better at the end but couldn't get to the intermediate circuit. This went on for maybe 2 weeks, then I got through the intermediate and after 4 weeks did the advanced (for people who are 'all about it and a bag of chips' apparently). I now do it every day and do all the circuits with relative ease (hot, sweaty, tired, but in a good way).

I have to say I love this DVD. It really doesn't get boring. The whole thing takes just under an hour to do and there's a general sense of motivation all the way through. I hope Harvey Walden does another one with the same format, maybe different exercises - it's that good and that much better than every other workout DVD I've tried. There's no music (some drumming and occasional bugles), no cutaway to shots of Harvey shirtless on a mountain top posing like an idiot, no inane banter. It also doesn't play to weird gender stereotypes (I assume it's mostly marketed at men but I think many women would appreciate the lack of fluffy nonsense too). Even the fact the he must say 'relaxing the breathing, controlling that breathing and sucking that gut in' about a hundred times doesn't get old.

So yes. If you want a workout video that's a cut above the rest and has a better than average chance of getting you fit rather than collecting dust before it goes off a car boot fair, then I would recommend this one.

Air Swimmer Clown Fish
Air Swimmer Clown Fish

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste. Of. Money., 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Air Swimmer Clown Fish (Toy)
Bought this as a Christmas present but only got around to getting the helium to fill it this week. What can I say that hasn't been said? It fiddly to put together, the instructions were rubbish, the build quality is terrible and after all that it didn't work. If you want to spend nearly thirty quid on a fancy-looking balloon then this is the toy for you. If you want a remote-control fish then look elsewhere because this ain't it.

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
by Scott McCloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring. And the title undersells it., 27 Jan 2011
I bought this because I thought it would help me understand my own fascination with comics. I am not a comic geek, have never collected them, never furtively shuffled through first editions in a gloomy back-street shop. I do have a thing for cartoons, especially the old ones. I guess I was hoping for some insight into how both art forms somehow (for me) manage to slip under the emotional radar of everything artificial and grown-up and appeal to something more human and universal underneath.

Other reviewers have covered the book's mechanics in fine detail so let me just add that it did all I expected and more. In attempting to explain comics this book opens up debates on the many social, artistic and metaphysical tributaries that add to the form, or that the form contends with in order to perfect radar avoidance. It changed the way I think about comics but also added to an understanding of how it's possible to utilise the ideas in other areas.

And did I say it's fun? Every page is crafted with a delicate economy of storytelling (which is kind of the point I suppose) that makes it both profound at times and always effortlessly readable.

One of those books that will just get read over and over again.

Unibond Repair Extreme
Unibond Repair Extreme

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 5 Jun 2010
I bought this to repair the soles on a pair of three-year old walking boots. Regular wear and tear and the odd long trek in wet conditions had exposed just how sloppy the original glue work was. I researched around for a glue that was strong, waterproof and reasonably flexible (and clear) when dry.

This totally did the trick. I had to use the whole tube and it did take longer than I expected to fully dry (maybe 24 hours to go off completely) but now the boots are as good as new - this review is written after wearing them a good twenty times with no signs of failure in the bond. It's only glue so it's not worth getting too excited about but in the sphere of sticking things to other things it's very good and worth the four odd quid it cost to buy.

Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions (Addison-Wesley Signature)
by Gregor Hohpe

4.0 out of 5 stars Not dated much at all, 14 Jun 2009
This book first hit the streets in 2004, when EAI hype was in full swing and MOM was seen as a bit of a silver bullet. Thanks to the subsequent over-promotion of SOA (anyone noticing a pattern?) and many poor messaging implementations a lot of the good ideas have been a bit sidelined.

I've just purchased the December 2008 reprint of this book and frankly it's as valid today as it was when it came out. Messaging as an implementation style may not be quite as popular, what with the rise of data/compute grids etc, but problems and patterns are largely timeless. As a handbook for enterprise integration I haven't seen a better guide. I give it four stars only because I'd like to see a new edition that deals with integration around contemporary approaches like cloud and mega-scale patterns like map/reduce.

I paid just under thirty quid, which is slightly above average for a tech book but worth every penny when you think a few dodgy design decisions would cost your company vastly more to fix.

Jabra BT250v - Bluetooth Headset With In Car Charger
Jabra BT250v - Bluetooth Headset With In Car Charger

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 6 Sep 2008
Like a lot of people I bought this for safe (legal) use in the car. It isn't comfortable - the earpiece kind of hovers just away from the ear, creating a desire to use one hand to hold it in thereby defeating the point of having it, and the connection to the phone is terrible. Sometimes it works, somtimes the phone can't find it, you reset, sometime that works, sometimes it doesn't. It may be a fairly cheap headset, but frankly I'd expect better than this for the price.

Room on the Broom
Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a deep breath.., 16 Feb 2008
This review is from: Room on the Broom (Paperback)
.. my son is just three and loves this book to bits. The artwork is great but the fast paced rhyming narrative really makes this something special. I have to read this faster and faster each time and it's great fun (if a little exhausting). Like all good kids books the story is simple but with lots to look at and talk about, and I must confess that I like to do the voices. You'll be booming "witches and chips" before you know it.

And whooosh.. they were gone.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but impressive, 16 Feb 2008
It comes in a relatively small box - three parts for the handle, a water bottle and the base unit - and fits together in a few minutes. Fill up the bottle with boiled water (recommended so you don't get scale build up), switch it on, and wait another couple of minutes for the lights to come on. I have to say the first time I turned it on I was sure it was broken. It took ages for the pump to suck the water through - I'd recommend jiggling it a little to help the flow. Once it's going though there's a satisfying 'pssssh' noise as the steam flows through the pad. It cleans very well indeed and the pads get very grimy so definitely buy the version with spare pads (I get through three doing one floor).
I give it four stars, not five, just because I think the steam could be a little more powerful (you have to glide a bit too slowly to get maximum effect) and the power cable doesn't reach as far as I'd like - granted my kitchen is quite big, but my vacuum reaches so I don't see why this shouldn't.
Don't let that put you off though. Once you get used to it, it's just like a mop to use, and far more effective at cleaning linoleum and hardwood floors.

Page: 1 | 2