Profile for Rene Chang > Reviews

The Malay Dilemma
by Mahathir Mohamad
Price: 6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars A persons view, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Malay Dilemma (Paperback)
I read this as I was keen to know his views. I thought he made a case for his policies. Many people who had not read the book but read the sycophantic reviews by the British media. The British said that the book is racial and those who never read it swallowed the British media's views hook line and sinker as they do niot read original.

French Classics in French and English: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas Fils (Dual-Language Book)
by Alexandre Dumas Fils
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to La Traviata, 18 Jun 2014
I bought this to read as it has been said that La Traviata was based in this book after seeing the opera at the Royal Opera House

The Selfish Gene
The Selfish Gene
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Ages since I read it. - Brilliant!, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Selfish Gene (Paperback)
it is ages since I read it. AS it is in the holiday reading list of my son's post GCSE summer holidays, in the post GCSE holidays , I bought the a second copy of the book so that I can read it and discuss the book with my son.

23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism
23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism
by Ha-Joon Chang
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is he writing this?, 18 Jun 2014
The author, a South Korea professor of economics at Cambridge University, makes the case for greater state interventions to solve the problems of capitalism. He therefore promote state capitalism and was a supporter of Tony Bliar

An Executive Summary of Thomas Piketty's 'Capital in the Twenty-First Century'
An Executive Summary of Thomas Piketty's 'Capital in the Twenty-First Century'
by A. D. Thibeault

1.0 out of 5 stars a novel argument for war, 18 Jun 2014
This summarises the main points of the book which are:
1. inequality is bad and is the product of capitalism.
2. there were occasions when this inequality was abolished. They followed the world wars. A consequence?
3. The solution proposed global taxation of up to 80% is impractical
4. So there is a simple solution - start a world war.

5, The intellectuals may argue (masturbate0 over the accuracy if his data table or the rights and wrong of high taxation. This only generates more publicity for the book
6. To a simple mind like mind, one should draw the obvious conclusion that war is the only proven solution to about less inequality.
This is the latest propaganda to Cry for a war to solve the world's problems

Capital in the Twenty-First Century
Capital in the Twenty-First Century
by Thomas Piketty
Price: 25.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Rallying Cry for WAr, 18 Jun 2014
The main thesis in this book is that after the world wars the inequality in the world were equalised. While it says that the source of inequality is dangerous its solution except for the proven effects of war is too impractical - global taxation at 80%. The Intelligentsias will debate about the accuracies of the author's data table, the rights and wrongs of high taxation and it effects, etc. but for the ordinary reader, it is clear that the answer is simple to have another war to alter the inequality which is patently wrong and a product of capitalism. In any case that was quite clear to simple me. So I would regard this as pure propaganda for war.it therefore does not surprise me that it has made the best-seller list of the New York Times, the mouth piece of the USA .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 9:18 AM BST

Samsung 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s MicroSDHC Plus Memory Card without adapter
Offered by Wholesaleprice-UK
Price: 12.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Never worked, 23 Feb 2014
This micro sd card from Jimmy Dee never worked even though I bought my Samsung galaxy note 3 from amazon.co.uk. The card came on time.
I should like to have a full refund. This is most disappointing as it has never happened with amazon.co.uk before

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget, 21 July 2013
I was given my "Fitbit" as a present by Godfrey, an old school friend, while on a sailing trip in Greece. It is great little gadget and does what it says on the box. I have installed the Fitbit Apps onto my PC and it allows me not only to sync my activities but also to input my other activities such as gym exercise, my meals, BP and even glucose levels. I can even log in my daily weights. I thoroughly recommend the Fitbit to anyone who needs a little motivation to exercise. My only gripe is that there should be more apps for Android Smart Phones. The Apple range of devises are well covered. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 which sadly was not on its lists of devices that allows syncing. So I have to resort to my PC and use the remote WiFi sync dongle.

Although I lost my original "FitBit" One, I have found it so useful that I have bought a replacement that came the next working day. It was even tracked and was delivered between 9:40and 10:40.

When I drowned my Fit bit through ignorance and confusion in my old age, I took it to the shower with me as I had mistakenly thought that it was shower proof. Although no where does it say that it was shower proof, I was given a free replacement. I thought that was a great and unexpected service.

The Great Deformation
The Great Deformation
by David Stockman
Price: 17.00

3.0 out of 5 stars is this 'polemic' a personal manifesto?, 20 July 2013
This review is from: The Great Deformation (Hardcover)
The Great Deformation by David Stockman - a Review
Two major theses were being propounded by the author.
1. That the Financial Crisis of September 2008 Needed Not to have happened but was engineered by Ben Bernanke and Hank Paulson of Wall Street and Goldman Sachs. They engineered a panic that resulted in the bailing out with Tax-Payers money of Too Big To Fail (TBTF) banks thus making lots of money and greatly increasing the amount of debt that the U.S. owes the world. (chapter 1)
2. That the U.S. had been heading towards its demise for the past thirty to forty years. This began with FDR's, the 1931 confiscation of gold and the devaluation of the dollar from $20.50 to $37.50 in 1933 bringing in a change that had not happened since 1832, the New Deal and Richard Nixon's break of the dollar from gold in August 1971 after a fateful meeting with economists at Camp David. (rest of the book)
The author acknowledges that his thesis is revisionist history. I am therefore puzzled by the method of writing the account adopted by the author. The author used the method of themes within each chapter, which makes following the narrative difficult for the like of me - a retired surgeon who is not exactly stupid but brought up to be sceptical. There was no chronological order and one has to trust the author implicitly. I found it very difficult to demonstrate veracity in his arguments. I was taught that in re-writing history, especially if it was of a revisionist nature, that if true would bring about an entire paradigm shift, it is very important that the arguments can be easily proven and demonstrably so. I am NOT saying that the financial arguments quoted by the author are false. It is just that the way the book is structured makes it very difficult to demonstrate veracity. The author flits from one period to another to make his points. According to David, the New Deal did not end the recession (the conventional opinion) which was already put right by Hoover's tight-money policies of the preceding months. It seemed unlikely that policies would reverse the deep depression of the 1930s within a few months of their enactment.
Does not indicate or provide evidence that the Federal Reserve Bank is a private bank rather than a public entity, although it function as the central bank of America, thus hoodwinking millions of people.
Finally it is unclear to me the purpose of the book which the author does not say. Was it an exposé or was it written as a presentation of a personal philosophy in preparation for high office ? The likes of Ron Paul who has resigned from his membership of Congress this year opens the way for people like David.
From numerous opinion polls and the prevailing demographic shifts, it is fairly certain that the GOP party with its many splits can't win power again. There is also a general disillusionment with Barack Obama's Democratic party. Obama is a severe disappointment. Furthermore there is general hatred by the middle-classes of the Wall Street bankers. This means that David Stockman maybe trying to catch the attention of the third constituency of the young who made up the 99% of the Occupy Wall Street movement.
In the final chapter, there was a list of 13 tasks that will reverse the calamity that is facing the U.S.A. This seemed a contradiction to me as from the first chapter one is led to believe that the U.S. of A is in a terminal decline that is unsalvageable.
It was this final chapter that made me think of this thick volume as a personal manifesto. The thick volume of the book and the way data is presented, which makes it seem full of erudition is what makes me suspicious of its purpose. Was the author trying to hide his thesis of half-truths under the guise of erudition? This is a common ploy of politicians. I also feel that it is the political system where politicians are returned only if they carry out the wishes of the electorate that would explain how politicians would continue to believe in a system based on debts. The book was very USA centric as if the rest of the world does not exist, except in its discussion of the world wars and also China.

I wonder how the book made the New York Times BestSeller List!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2013 9:28 AM BST

Simple Things to Make This World a Better Place
Simple Things to Make This World a Better Place
by Vicki L. Julian
Price: 6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring read, 6 April 2013
I am a retired surgeon. Having dedicated my life to looking after sick patients, Ms Julian's book resonates with me. She gives many examples of how to help others and make a difference to individuals. As a surgeon I found those examples inspiring, uplifting and useful, even though I am a non-believer. The authoress writes simply but in a most engaging way inspired by her religion she would say. I would say that her humanity comes across through every page."

Page: 1 | 2