Profile for Collin Higgs > Reviews

Dvd ~ Aly Bain
Offered by mmglobal3
Price: 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the production values, 8 April 2012
Lovely music played by some of the best acoustic musicians in the genre. When I watched it on BBC 4, I would turn the brightness down to nothing so I could just listen as if on the radio. Who ever is or was in charge of the cameras and the post production should have been shot. Why can't we see the musicians and the bands as a whole? Flicking all over the place is probably OK for those who have autism or are high of drugs (not to suggest that the two are the same) but for us real mortals, it's pants. I should not have bought the DVD as it has only been watched once. But I didn't know at the time I could have bought a CD version or downloaded the tracks. I would like to see the artists work but as I would do so at a concert and not darting around from drums to out of focus guitar to fiddle neck to us some poor vocalist's nose.
Hopefully the series will continue with other musicians, but hopefully with some production values which are more appropriate. Maybe use someone who has their hands tied behind their back so they can't twiddle with those knobs on the desk.

Part Of My Past - The Simon Dupree & The Big Sound Anthology
Part Of My Past - The Simon Dupree & The Big Sound Anthology
Price: 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning reminder, 10 Dec 2011
Just listening to this compilation brought back so many memories of my teenage years. Like the band I have not liked Kites in any form but the other tracks (some of which I have no recollections) all have a great sound. In the summer months of 66, 67 ot 68 I'm sure I saw them on the boat that sailed the Solent at night along with The Creation & Geno Washington which was my first experience of being close to live music. Oh I need to have a nap now and be all gooey eyed about the 1960s

Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS Including Full GB Maps
Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS Including Full GB Maps
Offered by Capital Stores
Price: 228.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Some misgivings but still a great gadget, 14 Nov 2010
I'm still trying to get the hang of the Adventurer 2800 but overall I'm impressed with its capabilities. What does need some sorting out is the placing of the lanyard on the device and some more meaningful menus.
Firstly, when the lanyard is attached and hung around the neck, it's unreadable. Surely the lanyard connection should be at the bottom of the device, not at the top.
Secondly, it's taken me ages to actually get some idea of what to do. The instructions in the box were of no use to me and I had to download the manual and print it out.
There are some general things a user would want to do.
1. Tell me where I am. That is done my tapping on a padlock to "lock" your position. What was the designer taking from his drug dealer when he designed that?
2. Record where I have been. That seems to be done automatically as soon as the system is "locked". Again, not obvious.
3. Show me how far I've walked and other positional data. Here you have to go to a secondary menu, tap on Settings, GPS, Position. Why would such a popular option be hidden so far down the menu structure?
But, as I have said, it is a good piece of kit only let down by its implementation.