Profile for abuncandance > Reviews

Content by abuncandance

abuncandance "Dancing Daisies" (Somerset, England)

Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
by Sharifa Oppenheimer
Price: 14.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Inspirational and Practical, 9 Dec 2011
This is a beautifully written, easily accessible book for all parents. And it would be great for teachers too !
We've used many of these ideas with our children and they've responded beautifully. It's wonderful to see young children choosing natural play rather than plastic battery operated toys. The gentle support given by the author to help build a nurturing, safe and happy family life is like having your own Fairy Godmother in the room helping to bring up the children.
It's packed with practical ideas on developing a rhythm to family life, indoor and outdoor play, celebrating seasons etc. If there is only one book you ever read about nurturing young children, this has to be the very best one to choose.

How to Shop with Mary, Queen of Shops
How to Shop with Mary, Queen of Shops
by Mary Portas

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor excuse for getting cash from TV programme fans, 7 July 2008
This really is a very disappointing book indeed. I have read it from cover to cover and have not found a single point which is new or enlightening. Like many people, I am a fan of Mary's TV show and enjoy seeing how her expertise and contacts in the field can turn around the ailing boutiques of this country. However, this book is really a very poor companion to the programme. I think it probably took about a day to write it, there is so little information contained within. She says the book is for shoppers not shop keepers - well, as someone who is both of these, I can say there is very little to be gleaned by either. For example, why does the book contain a section on how shops dress their windows? What use is this to a shopper? Most shoppers pay very little attention to windows, except maybe when in a traffic queue... I think it is simply there because Mary started out as a shop window dresser. Please don't waist your money buying this book - if you are still interested, order it from your local library. Now my problem is - how do I get rid of it?

All in the End is Harvest: An Anthology for Those Who Grieve
All in the End is Harvest: An Anthology for Those Who Grieve
by Sue MacGregor
Price: 7.66

5.0 out of 5 stars comfort and support from a range of authors, 30 Nov 2007
One of my close friends gave me this book after my husband died a few years ago. I read it on a daily basis in the first couple of months and found it a great source of comfort. It has a range of poems, etc which cover all aspects of bereavement. There is one piece I particularly like which describes how the dead person has 'gone into the next room, waiting for you there'. This stayed in my mind and helped me to see death as part of an ongoing cycle, not a finality. In my experience, having a chance to read about bereavement by a range of authors, helped me to deal with some of the feelings that maybe didn't come out talking to friends or family.
I have logged onto amazon today to get a copy of it for a close friend following her mother's recent death. I highly recommend it.

The Crafter's Companion
The Crafter's Companion
by Anna Torborg

5.0 out of 5 stars A real sourcebook of inspiration, 7 Nov 2007
I love this book! I am a very experienced professional crafter and I love dipping into this book to inspire me to be much more creative with my sewing, etc. I always go away from having read the book full of energy to have a go at something completely new. It contains information about a group of individual crafters and explains why they craft, what they make and how they juggle crafting with the rest of life. Each crafter has supplied a project suitable for any level of skill. The websites and blog addresses are really useful and I've explored ideas through these references which are completely new to me. It is one of my top 5 favourite craft books.