Profile for rshp > Reviews

Content by rshp

rshp (Chicago)

Chicago (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
Chicago (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
by Lorraine Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - don't buy anything else., 16 Aug 2005
I love this book. I live in Chicago and use this book regularly to plan days out around the city. Visitors love it too. The colour photos and maps are great as are the hotel/ restaaurant recommendations. The BEST guide book to Chicago there is.

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 2 April 2005
This book has almost replaced my Delia Smith's Complete cookery course, which I used to use for everything - rice, yorkshire puds, pancakes etc. It covers all the basics - how to cook veg, meat, rice, cakes etc and then progresses on to recipes, organized in helpful chapters, such as 'Fast food', 'Cooking for 1 or 2', 'Cooking for babies' - it has lots of new and interesting takes on older recipes - beef stew with prunes (delicious - far better than you can ever imagine), pea risotto...

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising start, disappointing ending, 13 May 2004
I decided to read this book after several recommendations from friends. This is not the type of book I would usually chose to read, but thought I'd give it a go, and at the start I loved it. I was intrigued by all the symbolism, secret societies and references to well-known paintings. Toward the end, the book seemed to lose pace - there was twist after twist, which was frustrating & made it hard to follow - I just wanted to know what would happen. and found it such an anti-climax - this has the resolution of a trashy romance novel, and not a very well written one at that!