Profile for knocked out 73 just woke up > Reviews

Content by knocked out 73...

knocked out 73 just woke up "mistah kurtz he dead" (the wasteland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Luther - Series 3 [DVD]
Luther - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Idris Elba
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Stuff., 10 July 2013
This review is from: Luther - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The Maverick Loose-Cannon Cop, who takes every case Too personally and has thrown away the rule book - even when his Boss says : you're off the case, take some leave for once...you're too close to this...yes, well, the format is a well worn path BUT I loved this series. The quality of the central performance by Idris Alba is perfect - highly intelligent, driven and not always predictable. His motives are often open to more than one interpretation - a great actor. He moves differently, is a different presence entirely to the cold scheming Stringer Bell he played beautifully in the Wire. The scripts here are good, the images beautiful - the incidental characters through to the main supporting roles are all well played and interesting.
Just recovered from the tension towards the end of the second episode of this quartet : enough said - just if you like this sort of thing (and you should) don't miss Luther.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2013 7:48 PM BST

More Great Moments of Vinyl History
More Great Moments of Vinyl History

5.0 out of 5 stars Now thats what I call music : time for a volume three..., 20 Jun 2013
'eclectic' gets thrown around alot but this is & different - each track could set off a path into the jungle to find more of the same...well done. Mr Kershaw deserves some respect for the good music he has advocated and publicised on radio one and elsewhere - seriously, time for another one....a breath of fresh air in the world of talent shows and videos that go viral...

I am crushed that someone put the time and effort into reading this review, and then mustered their resources to press the 'no use to me' button. Well I am saddened, nay saddened and shocked, nay saddened and shocked and...no, I shall not waste any more time on this nonsense. I will fetch my coat - anyway this is a fine disc - more please..

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)
by American Psychiatric Association
Price: 87.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Now thats what I call mental illness, 10 Jun 2013
Its boom time in the world of mental disorders - they are proliferating at such a rate that its sometimes difficult for drug companies to keep up. Are you moody, lazy, impulsive or irritable ? Do you get nervous sometimes or not feel life is great all the time ? Well come on - you might find a label right here - perhaps its self defeating personality disorder or a touch of social phobia....its dimensional now so you may just have borderline borderline personality disorder ?
Forget about the context, feel the criteria. Law breaker ? chill out - I'm sure we have an excuse for you right here.....need a clever tag to fox those tight folk at the benefits agency ? Come on in...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2013 8:09 AM BST

Crystal Sound
Crystal Sound
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not as easy as it looks., 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Crystal Sound (MP3 Download)
The other night at our quiet local pub I attempted to replicate this album using a selection of wine and shot glasses which I rather expensively had filled with various wines and spirits. By sipping cautiously from different glasses I began the painstaking process of carefully judging the note obtained by tapping the different glasses, then arranging them in order by octaves - this was trickier than I initially anticipated and over the next three hours things grew trickier still. I soon seemed to lose the knack of standing upright and a short while later consciousness itself became rather difficult to maintain. I have to admit to lacking perfect perfect recall of subsequent events. I do remember some unfortunate breakage and a lot of shouting, some nice police officers arrived and the next thing I knew I was recovering in hospital. Now I am at a loss to explain this events but I am glad to say that I have made a complete recovery from the incident described and am ready to have another go at performing this record live at our local this evening. If you are around by all means pop in - it will be smashing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 8:33 PM BST

Moondust
Moondust
Price: 10.02

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm cross about this., 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Moondust (Audio CD)
This is a really well done compilation including a really tasteful mixture of tracks of various genres, some well-known, many more obscure. Mixed interestingly with samples from the moon missions. Its the companion to an excellent book of the same title - the sequence with lux aeterna and the Eno ascent track is beautiful - this is a gem.

Beatrice Harrison (1919-192)
Beatrice Harrison (1919-192)
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars nice but wheres her most famous moment ?, 19 May 2013
nice bit of cello but - this lady was a national institution following an historic recording of her playing her cello in her garden with natural accompaniment by a nightingale.
This was the first outside broadcast (in 1924) and first broadcast recording of a wild animal - in was played annually for many years on the BBC, as once of the corporations most popular programmes.
But - as ever - a note of darkness enters the tale....rumours spread that it was not a bird...it was Maud Gould - a music hall birdsong imitator (a popular form of entertainment at the time) who Pretended !!
when will the truth emerge....crying out for a book/movie of quirky english life I'd have thought. (if interested the thing - the duet - is on a download from the mighty beeb radio 4 as one of its current 'tweet for the days'..no honestly it is..at least is at the time of writing.)

I Could Read The Sky [DVD] [2000]
I Could Read The Sky [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Dermot Healy

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is this not available for a reasonable price.., 17 April 2013
I have read the book, and enjoyed the soundtrack - even seen snippets on youtube : and it looks beautiful. As the son of Irish immigrants who came over from Mayo in the late forties I find the fragments I know moving and fascinating....why (oh why?) can I not get this for a tenner (or thereabouts)

Clear Lens Geek/Nerd Retro Wayfarer Glasses,Black Frame
Clear Lens Geek/Nerd Retro Wayfarer Glasses,Black Frame
Offered by Babz Media
Price: 1.37

1.0 out of 5 stars I am stunned., 4 April 2013
No not stunned, saddened, deeply deeply saddened. As a glasses wearer of forty years - now contending with the horror of starting to need reading glases...but not quite, so I have to take my glasses off to read !! Horror of horrors what next - bifocals, trifocals ??

S as a person of different vision I was stunned, nay stunned and saddened - hang on I've done that bit - anyway outraged and so forth by this product.

Am I to understand that people not afflicted with my condition - buy..BUY !! glasses with no effect on refracted light whatsoever !!!!! NO NO why ?? so they can look like elton john or elvis costello ??? this is nonsense

join me in my campaign my project NAY my quest to put a stop to this sort of thing - NOW
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 7:20 PM BST

Vatican - Don't Prey on My Children
Vatican - Don't Prey on My Children

3.0 out of 5 stars Can he fix it ?, 14 Mar 2013
Vat-e-Can

remember children its called the vatican NOT the vatican't....yeah ? good ? I know OI know

hang on more words are required - lets see...mobius, integer, silly, hoot - lets see will that do ?

Cool Hand Luke
Cool Hand Luke

4.0 out of 5 stars five star idea - maybe three-four for execution, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cool Hand Luke (Audio CD)
nothing wrong exactly - some nice tracks - certainly worth a listen.

the idea is a terrific one - but what next ? Slaughter House five, one flew over the cuckoos nest, or er..maybe - well ?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8