ARRAY(0xa548b9cc)

Profile for Red Rob > Reviews

Content by Red Rob

Red Rob "Red Rob" (Blackpool, Lancashire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Britain by Bike [DVD] - TV Series (Clare Balding)
Britain by Bike [DVD] - TV Series (Clare Balding)
Price: 10.84

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit flat of a flat tyre, 20 Jan 2014
The idea for this series is great, but it just doesn't deliver. Clare Balding is affable enough, but really doesn't come across as a cycling, geography or history enthusiast.

Also, there's not enough about the landscape, the journey and the experience of cycling through beautiful parts of Britain, and simply too much waffle about local history that lacks any kind of depth.

A wasted opportunity.

Great British Ghosts: Series 2 [DVD]
Great British Ghosts: Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michaela Strachan
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 13.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Why six discs?, 8 Jan 2014
This is pretty good series for anyone interested in the folklore of ghostly sightings around Britain and is quite entertaining, if a little lightweight (it is presented my Michaela Strachan, after all).

My big problem with this boxset is the amount of DVDs involved. Surely all the episodes from the series could have been comfortably accommodated on just two discs? Feels like a bit of a marketing con, if I'm honest and the reason I've docked one of the stars. I docked the other star because it's not a brilliant series, just quite good.

And to the question posed by someone earlier: yes, this boxset does only contain episodes from Series Two. Series One is available separately.

Vicky Pattison's 7 Day Slim [DVD]
Vicky Pattison's 7 Day Slim [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vicky Pattison
Price: 13.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Pond life, 6 Jan 2014
I wouldn't buy this and put money in this vile woman's pocket if it was the last DVD on Earth.

Britain's so-called 'celebrity' culture has a lot to answer for.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 11:11 PM GMT

Most Rated 2005 [2CD + DVD]
Most Rated 2005 [2CD + DVD]
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 1.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Jun 2013
I only bought this collection this year (2013), a long time after it was initially released and I still love it.

Recommended.

Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black
Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black
Offered by iBox Ltd
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, simple as that., 6 Jun 2013
I needed this cable to hook up my Canon SX220 to my new Panasonic 42" LED TV and it does what's expected of it.

Apparently, HDMI cables either work or they don't and there is no point spending money on cables costing 10-20 times as much (or more!) as this one.

'Ave it!

The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Price: 3.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Must try harder, 3 May 2013
I found this to be utterly pretentious middle class tripe, all 'wordy' and self-important.

I couldn't even figure out what the actual story was.

Avoid.

Reuben, Reuben [1983] [VHS]
Reuben, Reuben [1983] [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD release, please!, 2 Mar 2013
I can't add much to what has already been said, except to also ask why this superb film hasn't been released on DVD?

C'mon DVD release people, get this out on DVD now!

Drag Me to Hell [DVD]
Drag Me to Hell [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alison Lohman
Offered by Lifes Essentials
Price: 7.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Drag Me to Hell [DVD] (DVD)
Trust me, I wanted to love this film but I ended up hating every minute of it.

The plot, script, acting, direction, 'special' effects and overall production left a lot to be desired.

I could, blow-by-blow, tear the entire movie apart, but I'll only take one scene as an example of how utterly flawed I think this film is.

(SPOILER ALERT!)

Remember the scene in the bank where the 'heroine' suddenly starts to erupt blood from her nose and mouth? Why do the people in the bank start shouting at her to 'Stop'? Why does no one try to intervene and attempt to help someone who is obviously in distress and losing pints of blood? Then, after this trauma, why does she simply stroll out of the building and into the next scene as if nothing's happened (bar a blood-stained shirt)?

And don't get me started on the 'wake' scene for the witch/gypsy protagonist.

Awful film. Utterly, mind-numbingly awful.

It's more than 30 years since 'The Evil Dead', Mr Raimi, so please try a little harder next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 10:07 PM BST

GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer
GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer

1.0 out of 5 stars NIGHTMARE!, 3 Oct 2012
Well, the unit was easy enough to set-up and initially worked great - for about five minutes!

After that I couldn't access ANY on-screen menus, episode guides or anything else.

Also, flicking through the channels (when the remote would actually let me!) there were numerous duplicates of channels of varying levels of quality which I couldn't get rid of.

I visited the i-can/ADB website to see if there was any kind of 'quick fix' but simply ended up going round and round in circles. I then spent the next hour-and-a-half jumping through hoops desperately trying to find out how to contact the company and then gave up when confronted with the most daunting form I've ever seen.

When I went back to have another go at getting the unit to work I noticed that the sound from the TV had begun to falter and was being replaced with a horrible hissing/screeching noise. It was then that I decided to call it a day and send the unit back for a refund.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Ghost Hunters Back From The Dead [DVD] [2007]
Ghost Hunters Back From The Dead [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ghost Hunters
Price: 10.18

4.0 out of 5 stars A sober, sensible and often unnerving series, 23 April 2012
'Ghosthunters' is about as far removed from the appalling 'Most Haunted' as it's possible to get - and is all the better for it!

The series is worth buying just for the episode 'An Invisible Intelligence', which deals with the strange goings-on that took place in a lawnmower repair shop in Wales.

In that particular episode various employees share first-hand accounts of their encounters with an apparent poltergeist-like entity who they affectionately named 'Pete'.

I would strongly recommend this series to anyone with a serious interest in Fortean/Paranormal phenomena.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8