Profile for Lyrae > Reviews

Content by Lyrae

Lyrae

Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon crime series Book 1)
Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon crime series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed parts of this book and I kept thinking that ..., 4 Aug 2014
I enjoyed parts of this book and I kept thinking that it was building up to something. In that sense, it held my interest. However, the ending felt very sudden and anti-climactic. It felt as if the author had been told she must finish the book quickly and simply scribbled out an ending as fast as possible. We learn nothing about the motivations of the 'bad' guy or the background to his actions. I found it deeply unsatisfactory.

The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2)
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK., 29 July 2014
This book was OK. I finished it but found myself skipping sections as I was rather bored by the end. I found the main character - DI Sean Corrigan - rather irritating and not very believable. I felt that the depiction of him was rather Americanised and, of course, 'he's a maverick, but he gets results'. In this case however, the way he goes about investigating the missing women in the story is just not authentic enough for me. To use a cliche - he is very one dimensional. The story itself is OK - my problem is really with its execution. I haven't yet decided if I'll read any more by this author. I might at a push if I couldn't find anything I preferred!

Green Carnations
Green Carnations

5.0 out of 5 stars The author creates a world in which the reader can be present and empathise wonderfully with the characters, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Green Carnations (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely, delicately written and meaningful book. The author creates a world in which the reader can be present and empathise wonderfully with the characters. The story is good and attention to detail is exemplary. I really hope AC Turner writes more!

BaByliss 5548U Dry and Curl 2100 W Hair Dryer
BaByliss 5548U Dry and Curl 2100 W Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new hairdryer - it's got everything I wanted ..., 28 July 2014
I love my new hairdryer - it's got everything I wanted including a cool setting and a diffuser. Perfect.

LADIES WOMENS HIGH MID HEEL PLATFORM FLATFORM WEDGES SHOES PEEP TOE SANDALS SIZE (UK 5, Black Suede)
Offered by Fashion Thirsty

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of shoes for a bargain price, 28 July 2014
These are not shoes to go to work in and wearing them all day is likely to result in sore feet! But, they were great for the wedding I attended and looked good!

Snake Agent (The Detective Inspector Chen Novels Book 1)
Snake Agent (The Detective Inspector Chen Novels Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Liz is a brilliant author and I loved this first Chen novel, 28 July 2014
Liz is a brilliant author and I loved this first Chen novel. She evokes the world of Detective Chen wonderfully - so much detail given but in such a way as to enhance the story, not detract from it. The world itself is original, morals are neither black nor white which convinces the reader or its 'reality'.The characters are deep, authentic and suitably complex (I love the Badger-Kettle). And, on top of all this, the story is fab! I can't wait to read the rest of these.

All the Pretty Girls (A Taylor Jackson novel - Book 1)
All the Pretty Girls (A Taylor Jackson novel - Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars the worst offender was was the characters, 28 July 2014
Amongst the things that let this book down, the worst offender was was the characters. Taylor herself is tall, beautiful, sexy, righteous and tough and 'adored' by her man, an FBI agent. The characters are boring and lack believability - so cliched it's painful. I reached the end of the book but barely. The sequence of events is boring, one thing followed by another - there is no depth to the story or plot. I won't be reading anymore by this author.