Profile for Sean T. Page > Reviews

Content by Sean T. Page

Sean T. Page "Minister of Zombies" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Rom Zom Com: A Zombie Anthology
Rom Zom Com: A Zombie Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Weirdo Fiction at its Best, 16 Jun 2014
This book was offered to the Ministry of Zombies in exchange for an honest review.

OK – normally romance is not my thing so the moment I saw the ‘Rom’ in the titled I was close to switching off. I’m glad I didn’t as this is one twisted & bizarre collection of tales which proves there is love after death.

And, the romance is not just straight-laced girl meets boy; boy turns out to be zombie, girl loves zombie, boy eats girl. No, there is real variety here along with some great humour, great comedy, sick bag moments, times when it’s tough to read & old-fashioned romance in the most bizarre settings.

This is a collection of twelve unusual, bizarre & funny stories. Any clichés are well-done & the tales certainly mix things up to turn out a really strong anthology. ‘Nesting Instinct’ by Ted Wenskus was outstanding but there’s not a bad one in there. I also enjoyed Melissa Black’s yarn.

They say zombies need love too, so this is probably the best place to start….thoroughly recommended & I think will appeal to a broader audience than your standard ‘zombie outbreak’ tale…

The Cost of Living
The Cost of Living
Price: 1.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gritty Post-Apoc Tale from Horror Master, 8 Jun 2014
Ryan is an ex-special forces solider with a gung-ho attitude & the combat skills to match. He teams up with a ragtag group of criminals & street fighters who......well, that’s how a lot of ‘zombie’ stories go. Change Ryan for any other name but they typically fit the profile.

This couldn’t be further from the truth in David Moody’s latest slice of kitchen-sink horror – The Cost of Living. This story bleeds through the pages as you read it. Slow burn is not the right word. It slowly seeps from your kindle & you can’t put it down.
It tells the story of a British guy trying to survive a viral outbreak of apocalyptic proportions. How will he defend his family? How long will their supplies last? How the hell can he keep them locked up for so long? The tale is told from a few different perspectives so you get a ringside seat as hell opens & the drooling infected arrive.

With echoes of the Autumn series & even the 19080s series Threads, this is not a ‘paint by numbers’ zombie story. This is real, it feels very real. David Moody is the mean street poet of British zombie fiction & this nasty little novella is his way of staying ahead of the game. It’s a satisfying & challenging read – thoroughly recommended & will have you revisiting your own zombie/infected survival plan.

Great British Horror Volume 1 (8 Book Charity Box Set)
Great British Horror Volume 1 (8 Book Charity Box Set)
Price: 3.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Collection, 27 May 2014
I was a bit cautious of any booking with professes to be 'Great' but this is a very good collection of works of some famous & some indie horror authors.

I don't know what the word count is but this is a massive book with 8 full novels/novellas.

Not a weak one in the bunch but I would offer honourable mentions to Ian Woodhead. I've read his stuff before & his novel kicks some serious ass. Don't miss Duplicity. I also very much enjoyed veteran writer William Meikle's contribution.

It's great that this volume raises money for charity but I will judge it by it's merit to the reader. And, you know what - it delivers there & in blood-spattered spades. Fantastic book to take on holiday & an ideal introduction to some of our best indie writers.

Among the Dead, and Other Events Leading Up to the Apocalypse
Among the Dead, and Other Events Leading Up to the Apocalypse
by Edward (1945-) Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Collection, 27 May 2014
This is a superb & sometimes bizarre collection of science-fiction short stories. At times glorious, at other confusing - it's a collection from the early 1970s which delivers in virtually every area.

The tales themselves have hardly dated. The stories are original & sometimes disturbing. Many are striking & you never know what you are going to get from this intellectual horror/sci-fi writer.

A superb collection of tales, particularly in the beautiful hardback edition.

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Express
Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Express
Offered by Online4DVDs
Price: 18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Collection, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Express (DVD)
Whether you're a seasoned Taebo expert or a newbie - this collection of 10 minute workouts is a perfect addition to your library. There are 8 in total of various difficulties & focusing on different area.

They're great if you are limited on time & just want to do a quick work out. However, you can easily just follow on & do another if you want. As a note of caution, I think for some of them, you do need to do a some pre-warming up as Billy gets right into the workout once you start - he's only got 10 minutes after all!

Excellent workouts as always.

The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
by Stephen Jones
Price: 18.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable, 27 May 2014
Simple review from me on this - an unbeatable collection of Conan stories. From shorts to full-length tales - an amazing journey through some incredible stories. A lovely hardback brick of a book - the stories are rich & colourful. I'd not read any before so they're all new for me.

The book must be over 800 pages & has a useful after-foreward on the life of the author.

Thoroughly recommended. Reminded me of the work of Clark Ashton-Smith & the era when pulp science fiction & horror ruled.

Platypus Hoser 2 Litre Hydration System
Platypus Hoser 2 Litre Hydration System
Offered by Daleswear Outdoors
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Item, 27 May 2014
I used this product across the desert & it served me well. The mechanism are all good quality & it never leaked. The tube is a good length & for the price, this is an excellent hydration system. My advice is go for this kind of quality.

Fire Starter Steel Flint & Striker Survival Tool Kit - Outdoor Camping Living Survival Tool
Offered by PO Shop
Price: 2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Survival Tool, 27 May 2014
If you don't know how to use one of these little strikers then learn. They are an invaluable survival tool. It's a bit tricky to start with but you soon get the hang of them.

I used mine throughout the desert & was interested to note that the older Bedouin use something very similar to start fires.

This model is cheap, robust & does the job. For the price & weight, it's perfect for your kit bag. Don't go out without one!

Sinai Trekking And Safari: the complete route guide with GPS waypoints
Sinai Trekking And Safari: the complete route guide with GPS waypoints
by Zoltan Matrahazi
Price: 6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This One!, 27 May 2014
There are a couple of guides for this region - my advice, buy this one. I bought several guides & this is by far the best & served me well in the desert.

Firstly, there is a thorough cultural & historical survey of the region which will greatly increase your knowledge & enjoyment of trekking in this amazing landscape.

Secondly, the author covers all of the key sights plus some stuff which I would never have seen without this guide.

Now, I have a guide on some of my treks, you have to by law for many of the these treks, so you might be thinking why do I need a book if I have a guide. It's because the guides will miss stuff out. My advice - read this, mark off what you want to see then check with your human guide that they are included. It's amazing how much stuff the guides miss out if you don't ask or prompt them. They don't always know what's of interest so use this book for that.

I personally got some great shots of striking small lake just because I noted it from the guide so don't miss out.

I have the privilage of meeting the author during my trek. It was nice to see that he actually spends much of the year in the region, enhancing his notes & developing the guide.

In summary, the perfect overview for an amazing trekking location.

Trekking in South Sinai: The Highlights
Trekking in South Sinai: The Highlights
by Zoltan Matrahazi
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Trekking Guide, 27 May 2014
There are a few trekking guides to this region - but it is the work of this author that you should go for. I bought this & his other volume before my trek in the region & it is an ideal survey of the area. The author knows his stuff & is a true pioneer in both trekking & cultural terms.

A brilliant summary which is light, easy to carry & invaluable. I bought both his volumes so I'll put a more thorough review on the larger book but this served me well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16