Profile for Andy Ward > Reviews

Content by Andy Ward

Andy Ward (London, England)

Passion: Music For The Last Temptation Of Christ
Passion: Music For The Last Temptation Of Christ
Offered by Music-Club
Price: 19.47

5.0 out of 5 stars .....the begining of the 'end.', 2 Jan 2006
Over 12yrs ago, on hearing the Last Temptations of Christ; I subsequently felt compelled to review my appreciation of all that musically stirred and focused me. If you want to be moved emotionally and spiritually, this is an offering truly worthy of it’s title; Passion.
I have followed Gabriel’s music since his first solo album, and have my own varying levels of appreciation of his works. I am not some eerie or obsessive Gabriel fan who felt it most fitting that their musical ‘icon’ should have been invited to score the controversial Scorsese film. However, if another definition of baptism could be borrowed at this time, then I was truly immersed in a similar fashion when I first heard this passion-led soundtrack.
This really is a remarkable demonstration of spirit, performance & cultural diversity.
For me, without a shadow of a doubt, this album surpasses any collection of sounds ever attributed to Peter Gabriel. It would have been inconceivable that Gabriel could have bettered this work. As expected, his subsequent offerings although good in parts, are but poor relations that seem to scavenge on the inspired bones of Passion.
This album feels bigger than the emotions it so tirelessly haunts to visualise……..it’s even bigger than the composers themselves. My only frustration is in the albums ultimate credit. This is the work not of one man, but of a gathering of geniuses in the ultimate pursuit of excellence……of which they achieve with absolute divinity. The Feeling certainly begins…..and for me has remained commanding to this day. Congratulations to all those who contributed and to Peter Gabriel for making it happen. It is accomplished.