Profile for tex > Reviews

(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2
Z8 In Car Accident Witness Camera, 1080P HD, 3" Touch Screen
Z8 In Car Accident Witness Camera, 1080P HD, 3" Touch Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Pakatak score high with the quality car journey video recorder, 30 Oct. 2014
This came in a very timely manner all the way to Belgium, so top marks there to Pakatak. The product is robust and looks good, but is not too conspicuous for its use in-car. I have not road tested it yet. It charges up only via the cigarette lighter 12vDC connector, so unfortunately I don't think the supplied USB cable does more than the data transfer for attachment to PC, which it also registers no problem. The back monitor shows an very clear picture of what the front-facing camera sees, the whole thing has a high quality feel. I will update this review when I have used it on-road in full daylight and night conditions.

New WEAR OVER Sunglasses Sit Over Prescription Glasses UV400 Protection Adult Size (crystal brown frame brown lens)
Offered by Red Frog International Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked these so much I bought a second pair - ..., 28 April 2014
I liked these so much I bought a second pair - I think these new style glasses are lighter and very slightly smaller, so they will be more comfortable to wear for long periods

Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
by Thomas Sowell

5.0 out of 5 stars ON A NEED-TO-KNOW BASIS, 17 Mar. 2006
A book on economics which is also a page-turner? Without mathematics? Is it possible, do I jest? An Amazon.com review is limited by word count, about 1000 maximum. So, a reviewer wishing to do the fullest justice to a book must allocate his words carefully, being concise but not cryptic, vivid but not verbose, giving due emphasis to points in proportion to their importance in both the book and the review itself. So I say now that this book has this layman's unreserved admiration and recommendation. I have read it with delight and ease, I have learned from every chapter, and I actually sleep easier at night since finally coming to understand in precise terms the linked necessity for: both profit AND loss; price fluctuations in free markets; the true relation between inflation and government control of the money supply (they do it deliberately, it's a form of tax!); and, the empirical necessity for measuring the actual effect of laws on rent control or farm subsidies, as opposed merely accepting the stated intentions for them. I can finally more justly ignore with firmer reason and steadier emotion the misinformation of the media and the cackle of dirigista politicians, instead of being reduced to - "I know that I know it's not true, I just don't know why". I am an avid reader. I am a tireless analyst and critic. I have read the stylish Galbraith and the not-stylish Trevithick, and forgotten them. I am not an economist. I am a mere layman, and long I have known that books like this that say so much so well are rare, and that they should praised in season and out.
This review is itself an exercise in economics, which Mr. Sowell (following good and sensible British tradition), defines as:
`the study of the use of scarce resources which have alternative uses' (Robbins).
So, in the spirit of the book, the scarce resources here are: `word space' - within this review itself, and the personal time used writing it. Alternate use of this review is possible publication in say, magazines (as copyright prevents direct re-publishing). And time could be spent talking about it, personally persuading folk to read it. Now as I can reach many people via Amazon, who leave feedback, and the time spent is doubly used as a revision aid this is overall a good investment - that's 398 words so far...
CONTENTS
In no particular order, I was particularly struck by his explanation of: inflation (it is a form of tax, when governments print money - did I say that already?); rent control (and why bad effects take so long to hurt); brand names (a kind of marketplace shorthand); the crucial and greatly underestimated impact of information, its flow, and its costs (information is money - ask a consultant or an agent); the role of the `middle man', and why you have to have them; and the empirical proof of the damage done to minorities by affirmative action projects (and Thomas Sowell IS a black man from the South).
So, indulge my repetition, as we all know: `time is money' - and, as this book proves, information is money too - but while money is a mere convenience of trade, and price is only a transient indicator of value, the cost of information can make or break a government or business. You can't eat money, and odd but true, there ain't no such thing as `the true value' or even a `fair price' of a bread loaf or a house or a car, in dollars, pounds, or gold coin. And Thomas Sowell can explain why this is so without graphs and formulas. Herein there are no serried ranks of statistics and relatively few references and footnotes, just easy-reading straight-talking prose and the occasional flash of mordant wit. Real life examples from modern and historic periods in the USA, USSR, EU, India, Asia, and Africa abound. Some of the usual suspects, eg hyper-inflation in Germany are avoided. Of course where precise (non-mathematical) definitions are required they are given, but the unique selling point is the clarity of the reason in the argument. This book is highly suitable for any mid-teenage school pupil (GCSE-level+ in Britain) and up to undergraduate, and adults for whom the brain has not yet ossified. And politicians and journalists who have not read it should be made to pass exams in it, or be sacked. We live in hope.
COMPARISON BOOKS
`Economics in One Lesson' by Henry Hazlitt. Even the latest version is somewhat dated and strongly US-oriented, but this is still a good, short book of bite-size economics lessons, with similarly easy language to `Basic Economics'. (As a thinker Thomas Sowell is both broader and deeper, and supplies the latest examples of economic genius and folly in his second edition. My favourites illustrate the inefficiencies of socialist planning in the late and unlamented USSR.) But these two books are complementary in subject matter, and to name some areas not so directly covered by `Basic Economics', I recommend Hazlitt for: why Luddites are always wrong in the long run (ch.7); how a govt. spread-the-work scheme will in fact reduce employment (ch.8); on the `Fetish of Full Employment' (ch.10); `Who's Protected by Tariffs?' (ch.11); The Drive for Exports (ch.12); and, The Assault on Saving (ch.24).
`Murder at the Margin' by Marshall Jevons [pseudonym]. Puts an economist in the role of Sherlock Holmes. As a novel it has a prose style somewhere between stiff-legged and stilted, but with one or two funny lines (possibly intentionally funny). As economics you have to stick with it until ch.11 until you get onto the uncanny advantages of the unplanned economy, according to Adam Smith and Bastiat, but it does come good from there. Supplementary reading if you are pre-undergrad.
PS
Did I mention that inflation is a tax? Don't let them steal your mojo.
That's 1000 words.