Profile for Ignite > Reviews

Content by Ignite
Top Reviewer Ranking: 653

Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Can See You
I Can See You

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, 18 Jan. 2016
This review is from: I Can See You (Kindle Edition)
Do you believe in ghosts? Chris is forty years old, the age his own father was when he died, and he begins to see a frightening figure - and not just in his dreams. She starts to appear in real life too and the black voids where her eyes should be seem to want to pull him into oblivion. Is he going mad? We all know that our past can come back to bite us, but can it bite our children – and their children…? A chilling thought.

This is the story of a family haunted down the generations. We watch a man apparently losing his mind. Slowly, gradually, others share the horror. Where did it all go wrong and can Chris do anything to change it? The Cornish coast and the English weather almost become characters in the drama which is played out in this family. It's a gripping book which I read at a single sitting.
Do you believe in ghosts? You might now.

5:2 Fasting and Fitness Easy Science in Layman's Terms
5:2 Fasting and Fitness Easy Science in Layman's Terms

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and easy to read, 13 Jan. 2016
As the author states at the beginning, this book isn't a diet book, it's a book about diet in the broadest sense. The 5:2 diet advocates two fasting days a week, in which a limited calorie consumption of 500 for a woman or 600 for a man is permitted. Apart from the obvious calorie reduction over a week, why would you do this.? The author has a biology qualification and experience of working in a gym and this is fed into the book. It looks not only at the food we put into our bodies but what happens next. Some foods lead to increases or decreases in chemicals in the body, some of which are more desirable than others.

I found this book both interesting and easy to follow and it has periodic hyperlinks for those of us who wish to follow up articles going into greater detail. It boils down to the fact that there's no simple, fool-proof way to drop weight and become fit - or we'd all be doing it. We are given a run-down on some of the currently popular diets and the science behind them. The emphasis here is the supremely sensible one that we are all different but the 5:2 way of eating has so much flexibility that it may well work for a great number of people.

Head Count
Head Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 11 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Head Count (Kindle Edition)
A girl dies on a school skiing trip and teacher David Benedict has to cope with the nightmare. Over a short time, two other children from the same school appear to have committed suicide. Local journalist Bec Daley investigates. There's a large cast of teachers, some with considerable problems of their own and, of course, the police become involved. Bec and David begin their own investigations after yet another pupil dies in a suspicious motoring accident.

I found the whole idea interesting and as the story progressed, it became very exciting, especially when Bec and David take a holiday back in the area where the original death occurred. There are several threads in the story and several twists kicked in as I read. I particularly enjoyed the banter between the characters and the author's humorous observations. I found this book very enjoyable indeed.

I am the Great Horse: Alexander the Great from the horse's mouth
I am the Great Horse: Alexander the Great from the horse's mouth

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartily recommended, 10 Jan. 2016
I've read a little about the exploits of Alexander the Great, both factual and like this one, fictional. I particularly loved Mary Renault's The Persian Boy which gave me the Alexander legend through the eyes of another character. In I Am The Great Horse, our narrator is the fierce warhorse Bucaphalas. Katherine Roberts makes this story for young adults come alive by her observations of horse body language, and the parallels her great horse draws between human and horse behaviour. For example, the armies gathered to fight one another are, to Bucaphalas, herds. Alexander's hair is, of course, his mane. This could become twee and annoying if overdone but it's really well-judged here and I enjoyed it a great deal.

This book is one I'd have devoured in my teens, yet there I am, fifty years later, absolutely loving it. A good YA book never writes down to its readers and this is very good indeed. The 'voice' of the horse, all the way through, is that of a friend of Alexander's, though a wise, knowing one who often makes wry observation on the strange behaviour of his rider. I heartily recommend this story to those interested in history, whatever their age.

Pretty Baby
Pretty Baby

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, 6 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Pretty Baby (Kindle Edition)
This story follows three lives, those of married couple Heidi and Chris, and that of a young woman who calls herself Willow. Heidi sees Willow by the station, in the rain, clutching a small baby, and is moved to help. Willow is nervy, reluctant, but Heidi persists. Chris, too busy with work, doesn't see what's happening until things have gone beyond his control.

This is a study of a child brought up in an abusive situation and of a woman who has struggled inwardly for years as a result of a hysterectomy for cancer, when her child was just a year old. I found the story slow to get going but very interesting, even though the initial premise that a woman would bring a total stranger, plus baby, into her, her husband's and her twelve year-old daughter's home a big one to swallow. Unfortunately there were numerous errors in the version I read and people's names appeared with different spellings which took the edge off a decent story. Well worth a read, though.

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story and beautifully told, 3 Jan. 2016
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Kindle Edition)
I began reading this rather dubiously. It had come with so many recommendations but I initially found the title character fussy and unlikeable. Stick with it. We gradually become aware of Ove's past life and of the situation of his marriage. We, and Ove, have the lives of various neighbours, both new and old, thrust at us, together with the responsibility he reluctantly takes for a remarkable stray cat. Life, and particularly the problems of his neighbours, comes between him and the future he is determined upon. He is permanently annoyed with the world and everyone in it, and they seem unable to take the hint. The development of this book, and his attitudes, is wonderfully done.

This is the story of a man you can't fail to care about. He is rigid and inflexible but he has an iron-hard sense of what is right. I love the way the story unfolded and allowed us to see why Ove is as he is and how love crept in and got beneath his surface. A great story and beautifully told.

Stranded (Flick Carter Book 3)
Stranded (Flick Carter Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this avidly, 30 Dec. 2015
It goes without saying that if you’re reading this you’ve already read Wanted and Hunted. I’ve read them both and love them so this was a must-read for me. The group of characters is here broken into two and Flick Carter and her boss, Princess Jessica, AKA Lieutenant Dixon, are aboard a slave ship and their situation looks hopeless. Socko Garrett is back in his old haunts and is determined to prove that the two girls are alive. The wicked Prince Edward, Jessica’s brother, has taken over the ruling reins and put Socko on a Most Wanted list, penalty of execution and a huge reward. Things don’t look too good for him, either.

I read this book avidly and it didn’t feel as long as I know it is. We zipped about from place to place, from fear to terror, and the action never let up. We lost a few characters on the way – you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs. And I can’t tell you how good it was to find out what happened to the Pantomime Villain character of Edward. I wanted to hiss and boo whenever he appeared. You can really get caught up in this story if you’re not careful!

I received an advance review copy of this book.

The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 28 Dec. 2015
I started this book not really knowing what to expect. It was a choice for January for our local book group so I hadn't picked it out to read. It's set in Wales in 1924 and the social mores of the time are well observed. Wilfred, in a moment of being susceptible to a charming girl at a picnic, proposes. He realises he doesn't love the girl and wants to back out. But the situation is more complicated that he thought and Wilfred is an honourable man. I love the way little details are dropped into the story and we are faced with the insoluble problem. Wilfred has to get around the difficulties – not of his own making – while remaining true to himself.

I really enjoyed this book and found it both charming and thought-provoking. I suspect this kind of situation could well have cropped up in many a family as people were less sexually aware than we are today. It's one of those stories you could sum up in a couple of sentences but, told as well as this, it makes for a really good read.

The Reckoning (Earth Haven Book 3)
The Reckoning (Earth Haven Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of a totally gripping series, 22 Dec. 2015
This is the third and final part of the Earth Haven series and just as the two earlier books have provided surprises, The Reckoning does so too. It's hard to give away specifics without spoiling the earlier books for those still to read them but I will say that things aren't always as the reader thought. In fact they aren't as many of the characters thought either.

This is a successful and seemingly effortless blend of speculative post-apocalyptic story and science fiction. We follow the fortunes of various groups, including those of the species bent on wiping out humanity and there are shocks in store even for them. Ends are tied up from the first two books, successfully but not always happily. This has been a totally gripping series and I highly recommend it to all sci-fi and speculative fiction readers.

I received an advance review copy of this book from the publisher.

Portrait of a Girl (Mister Jones Mysteries Book 2)
Portrait of a Girl (Mister Jones Mysteries Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A sense of menace, 20 Dec. 2015
This is the second of the author’s horror stories and it takes me back to the kind of Dennis Wheatley books I devoured in my younger days. There’s that sense of menace throughout the story. The hapless Mr Jones, who was hounded by the police when he was an innocent victim in The Showing, is once again drawn into something he cannot control. A portrait of a girl in the local art gallery draws him almost hypnotically and he even begins to dream of it. He goes in to ask the price but it’s far more than he can afford. He leaves his details as an expression of interest, and then, when a young man goes missing and was last seen in the vicinity of the gallery, the police pay their first call upon Mr Jones. More young men fall under the portrait’s baleful influence and once again, Mr Jones has to convince the police he’s not to blame.

This is an engrossing and thoughtful study of a man in the grip of an obsession which has drawn lesser men into peril of their lives. He has the help of a friend to offer him some protection from a very real menace older than them all, and it’s a story which keeps on moving right to the end. Christmas is the time for ghost stories. Draw the curtains, settle down and give this a try!

I received a review copy of this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20