Profile for Ignite > Reviews

Content by Ignite
Top Reviewer Ranking: 390

Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a farewell, 3 Feb 2014
I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld, his fertile imagination and his playful humour with words and this book was no exception. I really enjoyed reading it, laughed aloud on several occasions and couldn't resist reading bits out! The first steam engine on the Disc, named Iron Girder, attracts the attention of just about every faction - including the Patrician Lord Vetinari. The book culminates in a race against time along track being built almost as fast as the train is travelling.

Sadly, bearing in mind Terry Pratchett's illness, this had the feeling of a valedictory, having cameo roles for so many of the characters in previous stories. I enjoyed seeing them again, but if felt like a farewell. Such a shame, but a great yarn.

Socko's First Day
Socko's First Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Socko's First Day (Kindle Edition)
Socko Garrett is old enough for The Choosing, where all 15 year olds are taken on as apprentices at an annual fair. Nobody chooses him so he ends up in the watch - the police. He's later discovered, headhunted we'd say these days, by the Kingsmen, the elite militia answerable only to the monarch. They choose him because, unlike most of the local watch, he has a brain.

This is one of Tim Arnot's short stories set in his post-apocalyptic world. Some of the characters are common to these short stories and the full length novel, ‘Wanted’ but the novelettes stand well as stories in their own right. There’s a wry humour in these tales which I greatly enjoy. They're very good indeed.

The Story of my Escape: from the prisons of the Republic of Venice otherwise known as "The Leads"

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 28 Jan 2014
I find myself wondering how to review a book which is a translation. The story itself is all the work of Casanova himself, whereas the translation is what has enabled me to read it. The tale is an unusual one, of the incarceration of a man known better for the exploits of his later life. He is thrown into a prison in the company of some bizarre fellow prisoners and wardens. It's the story of the ingenuity he used to effect an escape... eventually!

I found the old style of the language a little difficult to get to grips with. The sentences were, to my modern ear, over long and complex, but this was the style at the time. The translator has enabled this to be accessible today and it's certainly a good read.

Last Christmas: A Bumpkinton Short Story
Last Christmas: A Bumpkinton Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle tale, 12 Jan 2014
This is a gentle tale of Christmas in a village and centres on the parish priest. He is trying to take some of the weight of responsibility from his very elderly superior. It's full of gentle family scenes and shows a really warm human relationships (apart from hints about the village busybody!). It could be said that not much happens in most of the short story, but life's like that! This is a good start from a new author and his longer story 'Bittersweet' is decidedly meatier.

Kindle - Happy Reading - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Card
Kindle - Happy Reading - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Card

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a voucher, 8 Jan 2014
How can I describe it? I gave Amazon some money. Amazon sent the voucher to my friend. My friend spent the voucher - so I almost gave my friend a present. It's a great idea and it could catch on. Maybe someone will send ME one?

M.O.D.
M.O.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast action, great characters, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: M.O.D. (Kindle Edition)
This is a great, action-packed conspiracy and computer-hacking story which I enjoyed very much. Scott and his FBI partner Sheelia are on the trail of a group which is threatening the government, not by the traditional terrorist tactics but by telling people of their corruption and ineptitude. Thousands of services personnel and items of equipment, up to and including planes, have gone missing. People are joining the renegade group. Scott decides to infiltrate and becomes impressed by the group and its aims. His partner is still on the government's side.

I enjoyed the pace and the characters of this story. I have no idea how much of the computer-techy stuff is feasible but the story carried me along. It was a great read.

I SEE YOU
I SEE YOU

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: I SEE YOU (Kindle Edition)
This is in effect a story about a sentient mirror which can see what goes on in the room in which it hangs. I found the premise intriguing but found the story turned largely on white witchcraft which I didn't find terribly believable.

I found myself distracted from the story though, by the many errors. Effect and affect, laying and lying were used in the wrong way. It spoils it for me when something about the writing pulls me from the story. Overall, it was not bad, but it could have been much better.

The Atholl Expedition (Alpine Dawn Book 1)
The Atholl Expedition (Alpine Dawn Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent adventure, 27 Dec 2013
Alex Roddie has created a tale consisting of a number of stories interwoven. Two of his characters are Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, taking their holidays on the Duke of Atholl's estate. This was at the time when the famous rows between the two had died down but there was still some disagreement about certain things - like being home on your birthday! - to provide narrative tension. The Duke has threatened one of his ghillies with the loss of his job and his cottage if he can't provide the Prince with a famous stag to bring home as a trophy. The ghillie's son works with his father but yearns to break away. Forbes, a geologist, wants to follow up reports of a glacier in Scotland, but had to cross the Duke of Atholl's land and the Duke is famously against trespassers. There's all this and more here and it's a very interesting read.

I have always admired the author's approach to descriptive writing. It's not easy to do without sounding florid but his descriptions of storms, or of the mountains themselves, are studies in the careful choice of words. I love this style and I very much enjoyed the adventure story aspect of this book.

Socko's First Case
Socko's First Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 22 Dec 2013
Andy `Socko' Garrett is seventeen and a Kingsman cadet. It's his first case and it involves stolen gold and a dead body - and it's the king's gold. Talk about starting at the top! With his more experienced partner Corporal Barnes, he is given the task of solving the mystery and recovering the gold in time for Boxing Day when it's to be given to the poor. Socko started (and lasted less than a day) in the local Watch. The difference between him and the local watchmen is that he has brains!

This is a great little story set in the time of the author's full length novel Wanted. You can read this as a stand-alone though. I thoroughly enjoy the post-apocalyptic setting when the constraints of minimum technology are in place. Excellent stuff - and I still want the second novel!

The Bumpkinton Tales: Bittersweet
The Bumpkinton Tales: Bittersweet

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful tale, 22 Dec 2013
This is the delightful tale of a village and the history of a family. Venetia remembers her Grandpa Eddie telling her stories about the shop he used to run in the little village of Bumpkinton. She decides she'd like to go back and run the shop if it's for sale. It is and she and her malleable husband Timothy buy it. The village is packed with wonderful characters and most of them don't like the idea of `townies' coming in to their village.

I live in a village too, and enjoyed this story which is light hearted and feel-good. The author uses some great turns of phrase - I started highlighting them but then realised there were too many and I'd be wasting good reading time! I understand there are more books planned in this series. I shall be looking out for them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20