Profile for Ignite > Reviews

Content by Ignite
Top Reviewer Ranking: 657

Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger

5.0 out of 5 stars Cranks up the unease, 19 Dec. 2015
The book begins in post-war austerity and for the Ayres family of Hundreds Hall, it deteriorates even more. Dr Faraday narrates and begins to visit the family, first on an official call to their little maid Betty who seems to him not so much ill as scared. The crumbling house and whatever baleful influence it exerts, drags everyone’s spirits down. The doctor, as a scientist, tries to rationalise the inexplicable events which follow, but none of his theories is really convincing.

This is a wonderful tale of a family facing ruin. The house and its occupants decline together and I was left finding no other explanation than the supernatural. Am I just as suggestible and the Ayres family? I leave you to decide, but I found it a very well-written story which cranked up the unease as the book progressed.

RealFoodSource Certified Organic 'As Raw As It Gets' Big Tree Farms Cacao / Cocoa Butter (1KG)
Offered by RealFoodSource Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavour, 19 Dec. 2015
Great, chocolatey scent as soon as you open the pack. Easy to melt and a great flavour.

RealFoodSource Certified Organic Natural Edible Cocoa Butter Drops (1KG - 1 Pack)
Offered by RealFoodSource Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 19 Dec. 2015
Easy to use and weigh and very good flavour and quality.

Jumbo Christmas Origami Paper Pack (Stationery)
Jumbo Christmas Origami Paper Pack (Stationery)
by Inc. Sterling Publishing Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and value, 19 Dec. 2015
This is a really good quality selection of origami papers in a number of different seasonal patterns. There are projects suggested at the beginning but I already had ideas in mind when I ordered it. Excellent value.

Escape From B-Movie Hell: First contact in films was never like this...
Escape From B-Movie Hell: First contact in films was never like this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny story, great characters, 17 Dec. 2015
Student Andi Turbot discovers something disturbing about her best friend Eric. He’s really a massively tall lobster-type creature with seven eyes. An alien. He’s on a recce mission to earth to find out if the natives are sentient. I’m not sure I could prove that I am. She is taken on board a huge craft and then the politics begin. There’s a meteor on the way to smash into earth. If humans were wiped out, the aliens could colonise. It’s against their laws to kill sentient creatures but someone’s stopping them from deflecting the meteor. Like I said, politics.

This is a funny story, full of great characters, even though most of them wade through marmite scented goo and have a tendency to clack their pincers at you. There’s serious stuff at the bottom of it but it’s taken lightly and, although it’s a long book, trust me, it flies past. I love this and would enjoy more or similar.
I received a review copy of this book for an honest review.

The Return Of The Goblins (Snort & Wobbles Book 2)
The Return Of The Goblins (Snort & Wobbles Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite with my grandchildren, 14 Dec. 2015
Wobbles, as Lisa's brother Jeremy calls her, is a girl named Lisa who has Snort the dragon as a friend. Her brother is friendly with the man next door who is expecting a delivery of lizard eggs. He shouldn't be keeping them as they are rare. The Goblins want them, and they wouldn't mind eating Jeremy – after he's stolen the eggs for them.

I read this story to my granddaughters one holiday, a chapter each evening. I thought they might find the more horrid aspects of the goblins' characters rather frightening for bedtime but they loved them. It was exciting, not scary and as little girls they were rooting for Wobbles. When I read that the third Snort and Wobbles book would be called The Headless Horseman, they cheered! Bring it on, says Gran.

A Christmas Feast
A Christmas Feast
by Katie Fforde

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather weighted towards the sweet course, 13 Dec. 2015
This review is from: A Christmas Feast (Paperback)
This selection of short stories is laid out in 'courses' from starters to dessert. I found the constant happy endings actually made it all feel rather like pudding. However, at the end of the year, when the days are short and chilly, it's nice to have something light to read. I would have enjoyed a few darker stories, though, for contrast, instead of the man and the girl predictably getting it together. Some of the best food is contrasted with a little salt, lemon or vinegar.

It's a nice read if you're looking for something seasonal and light-hearted. I wasn't best pleased, however, to find that the final 7% was a trailer for another book.

Humber Boy B
Humber Boy B
by Ruth Dugdall

3.0 out of 5 stars A great idea..., 11 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Humber Boy B (Paperback)
I feel very torn about writing a review for this book. I loved the idea behind it and the way the story unfolded. It was impossible not to care about Ben and I felt his settling in to freedom, his inability to look people in the eye once released, his lack of knowledge of how to use a supermarket, were really well observed.

However, so much was wrong with it. So many errors about Hull. People have mentioned the football team's name. I've lived here for 45 years and never heard anyone say brass when they mean money. There's a sort of generic Northernese spoken here. It reminds me of the mythical Cleckhuddersdyke. It also has some issues which an editor could sort out but which make it read rather clunkily. Altogether, a great idea which could have been executed better.

Crime and Punishment: A Speculative Fiction Anthology
Crime and Punishment: A Speculative Fiction Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Speculative fiction? Some of the best, 8 Dec. 2015
This is a second anthology from a great group of writers. I’d have bought this for the first story alone. As I always find, some stories from a collection like this stick with me, mean more to me, than others. However, they are all a good read and a different interpretation of the theme.

Atonement is set in the Beyond the Wall series of books and the reader is quickly drawn into the oppressive regime. Lahm buys his own freedom by working as a bounty hunter. Is he really free? This is perhaps more like reparation than punishment. Really atmospheric, as always with Lucas Bale’s writing.

I loved the little Mowgli-type character in Oubliette. This punishment hole into which the condemned are cast to be forgotten had me intrigued. I’d love to read more about this character.

To some extent The Marque, quite a horror story, echoes the first in that it questions to what extent we can be free. Would you save yourself or co-operate with an alien invader. Who is brave and who is the coward? Thought-provoking.

I loved Arcadio’s Valley in which the old people (I take things too personally!) want their real lives back. Echoes here of David Wailing’s Auto series.

And the finale – the punctuation mark at the end – is another question about freedom. There was a wonderful Adam and Eve moment in here – “The woman lied to me!” Humanity curtails its own freedom but is the cure a worse crime than the original greedy devouring of the earth and its resources?

I haven’t mentioned all the stories though I enjoyed reading them – you’ll have to read them yourself and I suspect your choice of memorable ones will be different. As speculative fiction goes, we’re here with some of the best.

Piper: The Book of Jerrick - Part 2
Piper: The Book of Jerrick - Part 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great use of traditional tales, 7 Dec. 2015
The Second in the Book of Jerrick series sees our protagonists a couple of years older than when we last met them. As before, we are pulled in different directions as we wonder who are the goodies and who the baddies. Nothing is quite as it seems. Michael and Tamara in particular, best friends in the first book, find themselves in opposing sides in a monumental struggle which affects the whole world.

One of the really enjoyable aspects of this book is the way that traditional stories we've all known since childhood are cleverly woven through the tale. It's as if the story of Michael and Tamara, the Council and the Inquisitors, is our story too. I'm intrigued to know how it's all going to be resolved. Bring on Book Three!

I received an advance copy for review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20