Profile for Mr. J. C. Packman > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. C. Packman

Mr. J. C. Packman "jpackman4" (France)

Billy Connolly's Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip
Billy Connolly's Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip
by Billy Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well and then ran out of steam, 10 Feb. 2013
I bought this book for an upcoming visit to USA during which we will be taking Route 66 from Chicago to St Louis. Fortunately for us about 50% of the book covers this section. After St Louis he starts to run out of things to see/do that the average Joe would also be able to see/do. At times he is a bit pompous and condescending and the last 3rd of book is very weak and ends in a bit of a whimper.

Bon Courage: A French Renovation in Rural Limousin
Bon Courage: A French Renovation in Rural Limousin
by Richard Wiles

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 8 April 2009
On the whole this is an interesting account of second home (and then permanent residence) in France. His descriptions of people and places are both colourful and add to the overall enjoyment of the book. Having lived in France for 5 years and experienced French life for myself his experiences are familiar and not uncommon. The only down side were the last 4 chapters. I thought they did not fit with the rest of the book and appeared to be there to pad it out. I have read his second book and would happily read the third instalment if there is one.

Bonne Chance!: Building a Life in Rural France
Bonne Chance!: Building a Life in Rural France
by Richard Wiles

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 8 April 2009
I read this book before "Bon Courage". Having moved to The Charente region of France 5 years ago I am always interested in others' experiences. I thought it was open and honest and gave an insight into French life if you are prepared to integrate and avoid the "Little England" of the likes of Chalais and The Dordogne. I'll read the next one for certain

More France Please, We're British!: 15 Lessons on Life in France
More France Please, We're British!: 15 Lessons on Life in France
by Helena Frith Powell

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather condescending, 21 Mar. 2005
Part one 2005...Helena adopts a rather condescending, snobbish and blinkered view of life in France which appears to revolve around her various acquaintances' dealings with buying Chateaux and Vineyards than the real business and realities of living in France. Her view of Ryanair "...the dreaded Ryanair..." says it all. If she wants all the frills I suggest she fly with BA and pay the higher fares. I found it shocking, that her selfish reaction to her adopted dog's misdemeanour was to effectively take it out into a field and shoot it. All because she was frightened it might do the same to one of her children. There must have been a more thoughtful method of resolving the issue. As it was a guard dog and lived outside, how about creating its own kennel & run? Her overall view of France was heavily weighted towards the down sides and difficulties rather that a balanced view.

Part two...2007 having re-read and revisited my evaluation of this book after living in France for another two years, my view of Ms. Frith Powell's book is now even worse. I suggest she takes her G&T back to Eton, stay there and not tarnish those of us who have integrated into French society with her inaccurate and sometimes offensive accounts of the French and how they do things. This is NOT a book that should be read as part of any planning/preparation for a life in France.

Tarte Tatin: More of La Belle Vie on Rue Tatin
Tarte Tatin: More of La Belle Vie on Rue Tatin
by Susan Loomis

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickly Sweet, 19 Feb. 2005
I have read many books about life in France and have lived in the Charente region for over a year. Susan Loomis has written about her experiences that are close to her heart, in what is a very pleasant country. This is no reason to be critical. However I feel that her approach is sickly sweet rather that informative. I found her reaction to the 9/11 atrocity to be too much and far too self centred. Yes she is an American by birth, but we were all affected by what we saw on our screens that day. I would suggest she use fewer adjectives and reduce the amount of sugar used and come back down to earth and reality.