Profile for Caroline Phillips > Reviews

Fox
Fox
by Anthony Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Killer thriller, 2 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Fox (Hardcover)
From fox flu to a unique pudding company (making the likes of Spotted Dick for Chinese restaurants) to urban hunting in Oxford Street...Anthony Gardner's imagination knows no bounds in this beautifully bound and illustrated book. It's a fabulously good read - fast-paced, with an excellent plot, elegant style and humour that made me laugh out loud.

Massage Imperial Professional Lightweight Black Consort Aluminium Portable Massage Table Couch 7cm/3" High Density Foam
Offered by HRH HILL Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 11 May 2014
It is less well made than I had expected for the price: more shoddy. The mechanism to raise/lower the back does not work properly - it is very difficult indeed to take it down once it has been raised. (As I don't need this function, I won't raise it again.) I hope that the bed is stable and will wait to see - but will return it and ask for my money back if it proves not to be. It was very dusty - presumably from the factory - and would have been nice if it had been cleaned in advance. In particular, one of the catches on it was covered in grease.

Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: The Revolutionary Programme That Transforms Family Life
by NoŽl Janis-Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars A*. Words can't describe how helpful I found this book.....!, 29 Jun. 2012
I'm going to buy this book for all my girlfriends...the ones who hate nagging, shouting, feeling upset about their children's behaviour etc etc and want to have a great relationship with their kids. Since trying Noel's methods, we have two girls who don't leave their rooms looking like a rubbish tip, help load the dishwasher, do their homework without me standing over them like a demented dragon and go to bed on time. Got to try Noel's techniques on my husband next!!! (According to a newspaper interview that I read, the actress Helenna Bonham -Carter adopted this approach!)

In a Naked Place
In a Naked Place
by Shirley Eskapa

4.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 31 Oct. 2008
This review is from: In a Naked Place (Hardcover)
Skilfully crafted, decently written and emotionally authentic - Eskapa's 'In A Naked Place' is a good read. It's particularly poignant in that, on one level, it's about how a mother (Lily, a headmistress,) deals psychologically with the death of her child: a trauma that Eskapa herself suffered. It's also about how Lily has a hazardous affair with the American investment banker father of one of the pupils at her school - and the consequences of that behaviour. More commercial than Eskapa's previous books, I took in all 236 pages in one sitting (or, to be more precise, in one lying, given that I had 'flu.) A definite possibility for the Xmas stocking. And I can't wait for someone to reveal on which headmistress of which exclusive London girls' day school the story could possibly have been based...