Profile for Peter > Reviews

A Fatal Likeness
by Lynn Shepherd
Price: 15.57

1.0 out of 5 stars meta-review (or then again maybe it isn't), 11 April 2014
This review is from: A Fatal Likeness (Hardcover)
I haven't read the other reviews, so I can confidently state that they aren't very good. Please feel free to respond to my review but only if you haven't read it. However please don't expect me to respond to your comments as I've neither read my review or yours. Or something.

Ah the internet..it can be so satisfying sometimes.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 7:46 AM BST

chinkyboo Brass Pump Adaptor Presta Valves Converter Schrader Valves Adapter for Bike Bicycle
Offered by MonuMart
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value - even works with a 30 year old car tyre pump, 30 July 2013
Having recently bought a Presta valved Hybrid bike I initially looked at buying a specialist pump but thankfully found this adapter for the purpose. So far this product is perfect for my needs. It seems to fit snugly on the Presta valve with fairly minimal effort. I used an old car pump on my Schrader-valved mountain bike and was keen that this adapter would be able to work with it. I'm happy to report that the fitting is excellent and not as fiddly as I was expecting.

I've given it 4 stars as I have only used it 5 or 6 times and so can't yet vouch for its long-term capabilities. However, the adapter itself is well made and machined accurately. If the rubber washer lasts for a reasonable time I'll upgrade the rating. So far it's saved me a considerable amoumt of money on buying a specialist pump.

Crime: How to Solve it - And Why So Much of What We're Told is Wrong
Crime: How to Solve it - And Why So Much of What We're Told is Wrong
Price: 8.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Review just for the Kindle version not the subject itself, 21 Jun 2013
I just wanted to give a technical warning to those considering buying the kindle version which I'm about halfway through. Some of the sections consist of extremely small text which I found difficult to read - I'm using a Kindle Keyboard (software version 3.4). These sections are separate from the main text and usually serve as demonstration examples to support Nick's point (or just as asides).

So your enjoyment of the book may be affected if you have problems reading very small words (to give you a reference point they look like the equivalent of text size 6 in a Word document set to a 'page width' view setting). You can increase the text size in the usual way but you then have to resize them back again to read the main text normally.

Of course if anyone has a technical fix for this issue that I'm not aware of I'd be most grateful.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 3:56 PM BST

Reebok Toronto Maple Leafs Premier NHL Jersey Home (XL)
Reebok Toronto Maple Leafs Premier NHL Jersey Home (XL)
Offered by Crazykennys Hockey Shop
Price: 75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - take care with sizing, 24 May 2013
The top is well made and comfortable and doesn't fade with washing. However you'll need to be careful with the sizing. As it is meant to be worn over padding it's obviously larger than a standard non-ice hockey jersey would be. If you're usually a medium (as I am - 6 ft tall, 40 inch chest) I recommend a Small if you want to wear it normally. My small fits me perfectly but is loose enough for me to wear it over a long sleeve tshirt.

I knew this already as I was lucky enough to have bought my previous hockey tops in Canada and so could try them on. They seem to be exactly the same sizing as those in Canada/US which is what you would expect with this kind of imported product.

Reebok Vancouver Canucks Premier NHL Jersey 3rd (S)
Reebok Vancouver Canucks Premier NHL Jersey 3rd (S)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made and a good fit - be careful of sizing, 22 May 2013

Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac 2002
Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac 2002
by Graeme Garden

1.0 out of 5 stars Ban this book!, 22 May 2013
I simply cannot believe that this book has so far attracted only positive reviews. Quite how the relevant rules-making council has sanctioned this travesty is beyond me.

The book was originally given to me by an elderly man who was looking for a way of recruiting young boys into the mysterious art of Joker's Gambit (his old name for the game). I now realise that beneath the inviting dust jacket lurked a tome of insipid vagueness and contradiction. Where is the explanation and the clarity? Where are the iron clad definitions? Where are the bits that I can colour in?

An outrage. And the sooner that Messers Garden, Cryer, B-Taylor, Littleton (RIP) denounce this so-called book the better my fevered brow will rest.

On the other hand if you're looking for a nice book as a gift for someone it's ideal.

Regards

Pierre Dubois

BioShock Infinite Limited Edition Strategy Guide (Bradygames Strategy Guides)
BioShock Infinite Limited Edition Strategy Guide (Bradygames Strategy Guides)
by Bradygames
Price: 18.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant with a few minor niggles, 8 April 2013
I just wanted to add my Silver Eagle's worth to the reviews already posted.

The book really is tremendous value for what you get. As with the game itself it's beautifully presented as well as giving you the level of detail you need to fully appreciate the game. The book is in full colour throughout with plenty of pictures - some of the artwork is stunning.

The layout is pretty logical, however I didn't think the sequence of the sections was as logical as it could of been (hence this not being given the 5 star treatment). For example, the vigors/weapons and enemy sections are split up by the 'walkthrough' section. I'd have preferred them all together for easy reference. Also I found some useful enemy info by chance in the 'walkthrough' sections - I would have liked it to be in the main info areas.

But please remember that this is very much a personal view and the contents page is more than adequate to find your way around. I just think that as a 'quickly-find-an-answer-while-being-attacked-by-something-new-and-nasty' guide the layout was a not as friendly as I would have liked.

The free gifts were a nice addition and, as mentioned by other reviewers, the key is a substantially made item rather than the cheap plastic thing you might expect.

Despite my petty niggles I love this book and it's something you can read as a stand-alone tome - you almost don't need the game to appreciate it.

Up the Vox Populi...or maybe not - I haven't finished the game yet...

Lezyne LED Micro Drive Rear rear bike light black rear bike light
Lezyne LED Micro Drive Rear rear bike light black rear bike light
Offered by Mk_Online304
Price: 25.46

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the light, 2 for the fixing (update - depends on date of modelversion), 1 Mar 2013
This is a great product, but there are a few niggles with it. Firstly the plusses - I've had both front and rear lights for about 5 months now and have used them on various country bike runs in all weathers without incident (well sort of, but more of that later). The lights seem robust, waterproof and easy to charge (although I found it helpful to use a short USB extension cable when I used a plug to charge it (it kept the light from sticking out too much from the plug socket).

On the negative side whilst both lights are very clear and bright, they don't have a very wide beam and so perhaps wouldn't be that visible if seen from an acute angle. Not much of a problem on country lanes, but might be an issue with city traffic where vehicles may be approaching you from the side (at merging junctions, changing lanes etc).

The major issue for me was the how the rear light is fixed to the bracket. One end of the light is snapped into a u-shaped clip but if it's not cleared of debris, mud etc this makes the fixing much less secure. I found this out the hard way when I returned from a bike ride and discovered that the rear light had fallen off. It was my fault for not making sure the light was secure but I wanted to warn others. The front light doesn't suffer from these problems as you clip the light into to it's holder in the middle (if that makes sense) rather than one end.

+++update+++

It seems that the holder on newer models has been improved. Having lost my rear light because of the poor fixing method (described above) I bought a new version of the light. The holder is now a lot longer and has a large hole that allows rain and mud to drain through when the light isn't in place. It feels a lot more secure and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars S**t sandwich, 20 Nov 2012
I gave 5 stars for the idea behind this t-shirt but I've taken off 4 stars because you put the name of their driver instead of Savage and/or Shrimpton. So in summary, you left off the man who stepped in to 'double the bass line' when Tufnel unexpectedly quit the Tap, and a drummer who exploded on stage (it happens all of the time, it's just not widely reported).

Explain yourselves or hang your head in shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 10:02 AM BST

Sipnal Tap - Names Men's T-Shirt
Sipnal Tap - Names Men's T-Shirt
Price: 4.99 - 12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars No Shrimpton?, 20 Nov 2012
I gave 5 stars for the idea behind this t-shirt, but I've taken off 4 stars because you put the name of their driver instead of Savage and/or Shrimpton. Basically, you left off the man who stepped in to 'double the bass line' when Tufnel unexpectedly quit the Tap, and a drummer who exploded on stage during an important gig (it happens all of the time, it's just not widely reported).

Explain yourselves or hang your head in shame. Change it immediately and I'll buy one until then it's just a two-word review: s**t sandwich.

Page: 1 | 2