Profile for Lou > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Man for the Summer
A Man for the Summer

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but a good easy read, 15 May 2013
Despite this being a predictable romantic book I still enjoyed it. I'm not sure if its because I read it after a heavy book and needed some relief after reading others reviews but if you want to read a good distraction go for it. On the plus side, it does have a good twist in it after some mis-communication which adds another dimension to it that would have made it too predictable for myself!

The Christmas Bake Off
The Christmas Bake Off

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun short christmas story, 26 Dec. 2012
This was a nice short story. And as the title says, is based on a bake off. This particular one does have a twist so not all goes well in the village. For a short story, it does bring together at least 4 characters stories for the end result and does end with a happy ever after - an essential for any christmas story! For a quick buzz give this book a go.

Captured (The Captive Series Book 1)
Captured (The Captive Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent vampire story, 26 Dec. 2012
I downloaded this simply because it was free, and really enjoyed it that I went on to download the next one! My only criticism is the 3rd book isnt yet available and I want to know what happens!!! This book is based on vampires ruling the world, with a resistance of humans fighting against them. This book is based on the selling of one of these humans to the vampire world following their capture. I won't give too much away but not all vampires are bad. The descriptions have been very well done and the good vs evil element is played well in the book too. I found it easy to pick up again after a couple of days of not reading it. Overall, definately worth giving a go for a free book.

Designed for Love
Designed for Love

5.0 out of 5 stars light hearted romance, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Designed for Love (Kindle Edition)
So the story begins with Wendy being run into by Bill at the airport, where their plane is then cancelled, they end up in the same hotel in a double booked room, on a fresh flight, sitting next to each other, to end up staying in the same hotel the other side and the list goes on.....

This is a light hearted comedy. Wendy is not interested in a man, putting her career first. Bill is not interested in a woman but for some reason the challenge of Wendy draws him in, thus begins a series of flirtations on Bill's behalf and a lot of hot-cold-hot from Wendy.

The story is told intermittently from both perspectives, helping to break it up a bit, otherwise I think Wendy may have frustrated me a little too much with her constant mind changing!!!

It does have the predictable ending but the journey to get there is a very good page turner and I enjoyed it immensely. I'd recommend giving this one a go as a bit of light relief and a distraction on everyday monotomy such as the tube.

Best Friends - Better Lovers (Sensual Romance - Romantic Comedy)
Best Friends - Better Lovers (Sensual Romance - Romantic Comedy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good page turner, 5 Mar. 2012
Lil and Trevor have known each other for years. This is the story of their fall into becoming lovers, at Lil's suggestion of making a baby. It is very well written, with the sex scenes being good page turners. Of course, after a will-they won't-they session, the two characters end up together. I found that Trevor wasn't portrayed as deeply as he could be, coming across as quite gullable at times, and there were chunks missing in time in the book. I also couldn't help thinking that surely he would have noticed that she was pregnant before she'd told him?

With these two things aside, it is a good book and had me page turning quite easily. The happy ending always helps too!! Especially as we've all been attracted to someone who we possibly shouldn't be! Definately worth a go thoough, although not 100% sure where the 'romantic comedy' came from in the title, as I didn't find it that amusing!

CHAMPAGNE FOR TWO
CHAMPAGNE FOR TWO

3.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: CHAMPAGNE FOR TWO (Kindle Edition)
This book started on a great note. A firey woman meets a firey man and the story begins. Christine has taken over a dating service and is trying to get it up and running, the last 'favour' from her mother is to use Derek's picture in the ads without his knowledge. Here begins a story of intrigue between the dynamics of their relationship, where neither wants a relationship. Derek reaches the conclusion first that he wants to be with Christine, which then begins a continual yes, no, up, down and around by Christine who eventually falls for him.

The story is good because you know there is going to be a happy ending and it is entertaining on the way.

On the downside, I found Christines attitude very annoying and couldn't imagine a man going along with her constant mood changes for so long. There is also a sub-story thrown in about her mother which also seems a little pointless, as does the aspect of her daughters failed relationship with Bret.

I also found that the book could have explored other areas more rather than throwing in other characters of Christines life. I understand it is to help her 'realise' that she can love again and the process involved around her healing but I feel that more could have been done to set the scene between her relationship with Derek and his children, one of which who obviously disliked her, adding a new dynamic to the book.

Overall a good read, but I did expect more, espeically with the brilliant start.

Build A Man (Serenity Holland Book 1)
Build A Man (Serenity Holland Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars a unique novel, very well written, 27 Feb. 2012
So when I downloaded this book it turned out to be better than I expected. Serenity is a brilliant character who is easy to associate with. She is naive in her relationship with Peter and what she expects from her tabloid career. Throw Jeremy into the mix, and the book becomes very interesting indeed!!

Build a man is a light hearted read with some serious issues also thrown in, especially with how lihgt hearted we sometimes take cosmetic surgery. The best thing about this book you can easily picture the extra characters who have been thrown in as I'm sure we've met them all at some point - Mia the manipulator who is out for herself, Leza who Serenity is completely scared of and Princess the fakest of them all.

The use of these extra characters help make Serenity seem almost sane but her innocence can be seen throughout. She is a likable character but I found it hard sometimes on Jeremy who is a lovely character.

This is definately a feel good romance with the typical ending but done in a different way. Her manipulation by others is easily seen and we've all be in relationships that you don't question until you're forced to. A brilliant book that is definately worth reading and one that you'll be sad to put down!!

Guernsey (Rachel's Story Book 3)
Guernsey (Rachel's Story Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW! all I can say!, 23 Feb. 2012
What a pleasure to read!! This is the story of Rachel, a Jew who manages to escape the concentration camps by her mothers bartering skills with their family business and the Nazis. She is sent to Aldernay, and we meet her on the beach where she is crying as her protector has been sent back to Germany. This is also where Tom meets her and is the beginning of a dramatic rescue of her and an escape. This is very well written, with the author also helping us not to hate the occupiers as we could have but to acknowledge that they are human too and helped her to escape the island. Of course, at this point, their relationship is one of friendship due to their ages but it is a brilliant part of the book.

Fast forward to the end of the war and the return of Rachel to the islands and the beginning of their new life. We also start to meet the other characters of the story who now own her old family business, where she is oblivious to all that is in her past.

Fast forward again to where Freddy, the greedy brother and owner of the business, where we start to see the true extent of the corruption he is in, with the forgery of the majority shares in the business that were rightfully Rachel's. Here the plot thickens with death threats and a man hunt over the channel islands to catch Freddy and the German mob boss he is also associated with. The will they won't they find him aspect of this book is well written also.

I was slightly disappointed with the way the book concluded, (which I won't spoil for you) but the author did an excellent job on the whole. He didn't shy away from the Nazi issue and was able to incorporate these hostilities that were certainly evident at the time well into the book and helped to create a real feel to the book. This is also not one of my usual choice in a book but I'm glad I read it and would urge you to do the same.

Irish Fling (The Millersburg Quartet Book 1)
Irish Fling (The Millersburg Quartet Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant surprise, 19 Feb. 2012
This book opens on a journey of self-discovery for Ali, where she manages to get lost (as per her norm) and she passes a broken down car who just happens to contain the goregous Aidan. Herein begins a journey of passion for them both and the beginning of a fling. His improptu ability at having to be able to take time off instantly is a little hard to believe but this is romance so its worth letting that one slide.

As Ali continues her tour of Ireland with Aidan as her tour guide, they begin a passionate romance. To begin with, the sex scences are very well written but I felt that there were a few too many set too close together. Of course, the fantasy can not last forever and Ali is left with her heart broken. Of course, neither knows much about the other and their paths will cross again but when?

It transpires that Ali or rather 'Alex' is a genuis with computers and they happen to come across each other again at a conference. This part of the book is very well written, with various characters playing a part in the rekindling of this romance, especially helped with the threat to her life. From her sad upbringing it was nice to read about someone so happy with their life and full of joy. The book of course has a very happy ending but getting there was a pleasure to read, although I can't help feeling she gave into Aidan a little too easily for my liking!! There was a little too much sex at the beginning for me but I was glad this peppered out and just slightly disappointed with the few typos that were in there. Overall, a good read.

Just One More Summer
Just One More Summer

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mixture, 19 Feb. 2012
Allie embarks on a 'gap' summer following the break-up of her marriage. After meeting her mother - who is into image - we are informed of her plans to spend it in Cornwall, where she embarks upon a journey of self-discovery, confidence boosting, friendship, love, passion and anger. It begins with her meeting Marsha on the beach and the story subsequently follows Allie into new relationships with Marsha and her friends, who she has helped in many different ways in the past.

The book is brilliantly well written and very thought provoking, having me laughing at times, making me frustrated with Allie's behaviour and sad at certain parts too. As she begins to fall in love with Adam, it all comes crashing down around her and she ends up heading back to London where we see her begin to make amends with her husband. This section of the book is very well written, creating a will she or won't she situation.

But due to her past finally having caught up with her, her dad comes back into the scene and they head back to Cornwall together to face Marsha and all of her old friends down there. This section of the book had me in tears and was beautifully written by the author. Of course love conquers all in the end, and without giving too much away, things turn out in a positive way for the majority of the characters involved.

I would highly recommend this book, it had me feeling everything that Allie was going through and was well worth the read. The best book I've read in a while.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4