Profile for Hazel Mills > Reviews

Content by Hazel Mills

Hazel Mills "Hazel Joy" (Cambridge UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Pride, Prejudice and the Perfect Match
Pride, Prejudice and the Perfect Match
Price: 1.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read, 1 Mar 2014
The main characters are taken from Pride and Prejudice but the story is all the author's own. The prejudices are definitely there and for Darcy seemed so overwhelming I wondered if there really could be a happy ending! It is very well written and kept me absorbed throughout with me totally engaged in the characters, to the extent that I was personally disappointed in their dishonesty and misleading each other and kept shouting 'just talk to each other' at my Kindle! Great book.

Project Darcy
Project Darcy
Price: 1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully researched fun, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Project Darcy (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this modern, timeslip version of Pride and Prejudice. Within the first few pages the five friends' characters were easily identifiable as based on the Bennet sisters, but what I loved most was the intricate weaving of what we know as true from the letters of Jane Austen with the fictional story spun by the very clever Jane Odiwe. Some may have reservations about the ending, but this is Jane Odiwe, not Jane Austen! It surprised me I must admit, but it didn't upset me. I liked the change from third person to first when we changed time and I wish I had been on the Project Darcy dig!

A Lasting Love Affair: Darcy and Elizabeth (A Pride and Prejudice Variation)
A Lasting Love Affair: Darcy and Elizabeth (A Pride and Prejudice Variation)
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick but satisfying read, 7 Feb 2014
I wanted a book to read whilst travelling back from holiday and this fit the bill nicely. I do like Pam Dixon's work and enjoyed this one very much. She has dared to do something to a major character that surprised me at the start but it was vital to the plot. Darcy seems somewhat more determined from the start than the original, but this is a variation and doesn't pretend to be anything else and this is quite a unique take! My only wish in the end was that there was more of it.

The Darcys of Derbyshire: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
The Darcys of Derbyshire: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars So sweet, 28 Jan 2014
Thoroughly recommend this very sweet retelling of Darcy and Elizabeth coming to an understanding, together with an explanation of the courtship of Darcy's parents; two Darcy men for the price of one! As a novella it is a short but satisfying read. I always love Abigail Reynold's work and this one did not disappoint. Leaves you with a very warm feeling!

The Companion of His Future Life
The Companion of His Future Life
Price: 3.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an enjoyable read, 17 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed Jack Caldwell's 'Mr Darcy Came to Dinner', with many laugh out loud moments, so had high hopes for this book and was not disappointed. I read these books for entertainment and was thoroughly entertained by this one from beginning to end. I loved Mary as Mrs Collins and the journey Mr Caldwell has given her. The way she handles Mr Collins made me smile and at times laugh out loud as she got her own way.

The main plot twists of Pride and Prejudice remain intact and much of the dialogue is there but not always from the mouths of those you expect, but this is definitely an original retelling with Jane and Lizzy experiencing much more of the tale together, thus giving Jane much more room to grow.

If you enjoy Pride and Prejudice 'What-ifs', I recommend this one.

Pirates and Prejudice
Pirates and Prejudice
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What fun!, 22 Jun 2013
I have read all of Kara Louise's books and enjoyed each of them and I'm always pleased to see a new one published, but I could not understand how on earth she could wangle events for Darcy to become a pirate, however it was a clever idea, playing on his sense of honour and decency at a time of his life when in the depths of despair. This is not zombies or vampires or another fantastical scenario but a possible (even though improbable) event. It is pure fairy tale, but so is Pride and Prejudice.
I love the romance in Kara Louise's books. Darcy and Lizzy stay true to their characters; Lizzy remains feisty in the face of adversity and Darcy is the true hero whilst still showing his vulnerable side where Lizzy is concerned. You can feel the passion without blushing! We don't see much of Georgiana but I like the relationship portrayed between the siblings. I will no doubt read this one again when I feel in need of a bit of fun.

Bluebells in the Mourning
Bluebells in the Mourning
Price: 5.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 10 May 2013
I really enjoyed this take on the book. I read it in one go whilst being driven back through France from holiday and I didn't even notice the rain! I was a bit concerned about the idea of a death of a Bennet sister but it worked really well. Familiar plots appeared in unfamiliar places and familiar quotes were given to different characters, and do you know what, I didn't mind!. I felt that although the characters were given new situations they stayed pretty well to character. There was a moment when Bingley appeared to be marrying both with banns and a license but never mind he was probably too happy to notice! I will definitely read this one again.

Starlight Over Pemberley (The Jonathan Thomas and Georgiana Darcy Chronicle Book 1)
Price: 1.91

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story with some reservations, 21 April 2012
Just finished reading this whilst visiting Estonia. I really liked the idea of this story: Pride and Prejudice meets time travel, as it hit two of my interests together, however it needed serious proof-reading and some of the historical inaccuracies were a bit too much. However, unusually, it did not make me stop reading it. It is a sweet story that I enjoyed despite its problems. You need to suspend disbelief and be quite tolerant, but I found it was worth the journey. Loss of rating was not for the story but the mistakes.

Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection
Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little kettle, 4 Mar 2012
We are really pleased with the product. We travel a lot in Europe and hotels rarely have tea making facilities so his compact kettle did the job very well. Being small it will fit under the taps in hotel rooms, it boils in a reasonable time (we are on holiday and not paying the electricity!)and we are happy with the cup size, which has been a negative for some people. You can always make a second cup.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James
Price: 7.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame, 18 Nov 2011
I was so disappointed having pre-ordered it as soon as I knew it was coming. There were errors and I felt the plot was very slow. Who was Colonel Fitzwilliam? He seemed to have received a personality transplant. Having met the wonderful P D James a couple of times I carried on until the end out of respect. I will instead remember her wonderful talk on Emma as a detective story given at the JA AGM some years ago. Utter genius!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2012 2:24 PM GMT