Profile for D Brown > Reviews

Content by D Brown

D Brown (Nuneaton, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Sense & Sensibility
Sense & Sensibility
by Joanna Trollope

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameful!, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility (Hardcover)
I suggest you only buy this book if you've never read the original Jane Austen version! I think it's shameful that the Publishers, Harper Collins, and the author, Joanna Trollope, have got away with publishing this. My hard back version has an rrp of £18.99 and I can only imagine what profit the publishers are making from it. If it were any other item, I'd be asking for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act, only it was bought for me as a birthday present and so I can't even contemplate that route, even if it was available to me.

We are told on the inside of the sleeve that this casts Sense and Sensibility is a "fresh new light". I don't think so! The only "new light" here is that the characters live in this century rather than the 18th century. And what characters they have become - all dislikeable, apart from Bill Brandon who is far too good for the utterly selfish Marianne. I was ready to throw in the towel after Chapter 1 but then wondered if the author was about to do something clever with the storyline - Elinor and Bill Brandon getting together perhaps? But no, despite my optimism, nothing changed. Elinor ended up with Edward, despite the fact that she had shown absolutely no affection for him, and Marianne looked set to settle for Bill Brandon, despite the fact that she had spent much of the book looking down her nose at him. Disappointing doesn't even come close!

The book is said to be copyright of Joanna Trollope 2013 and, on that basis, we are also told that "The names, characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author's imagination". This is quite frankly deceitful. The names and characters are the work of Jane Austen, not Joanna Trollope. Even the incidents are based on those in the original.

I've never read any other books by Joanna Trollope and certainly won't be reading any after this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 4:55 PM BST

Vote for Caesar: How the Ancient Greeks and Romans Solved the Problems of Today
Vote for Caesar: How the Ancient Greeks and Romans Solved the Problems of Today
by P. V. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly cynical, witty and entertaining, 27 Jun. 2012
If you like Jeremy Clarkson's style of writing and you know a little about ancient history then you will enjoy this book. I found it highly entertaining (if a little politically incorrect!) and think the author has hit many nails on the head here.
After numerous wry smiles and nods of the head I don't think I could have written anything better myself. It is perhaps not the sort of book you will ever see on an educational reading list, but I will be sharing it with family members and ensuring it is kept on the bookshelf for another read in due course. Well Done Peter Jones and thank you for this enjoyable read.

Harry Potter: Page to Screen
Harry Potter: Page to Screen
by Bob McCabe

5.0 out of 5 stars They call it Potter love, 8 Feb. 2012
My parents bought this for me for Christmas and I have been completely unable to put it down!

It is called "Harry Potter: Page to Screen: The complete Filmmaking Journey" and you can see why... It is definitely the FULL thing!!! 530 or so pages to get your teeth into!

It is an incredible (and huge) book full of everything diehard potter fans would want to know. It is filled with hundreds of top-quality photos, sketches, and information, including all the detail.

it is a fantastic keepsake for all memories of the books and films, with extra facts about them that you never knew.

Chapters:

1 - the making of Harry potter

This chapter goes through all the books / films, explaining all the detail about the different sets, filming, characters and more...

2 - the art of Harry potter

This chapter takes you through the costumes, sets designs, makeup, etc...

3 - epilogue

Overall I definitely give this book 5*s and would recommend it to anyone that has a keen interest to know more about Harry Potter!!!

Napoleon: Total War (PC DVD)
Napoleon: Total War (PC DVD)
Offered by games.empire

1.0 out of 5 stars Steam Damaged!, 4 Dec. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Crap!
A brilliant series of games up until Medieval 2, but couldn't play Empire or this one as STEAM is useless and I don't always have internet access when I want to play.
Please revisit the last few games in the series and bring out non-Steam versions!
I believe I speak for a multitude of Total War fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2012 9:41 PM BST

Wall Of Hits
Wall Of Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest Greatest Hits album!, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Wall Of Hits (Audio CD)
You can't beat some of the good old 70s classics, and this still sounds great. Remember to play it loud!

Hi-Tec Sports Men's Ad-Pro Trainer
Hi-Tec Sports Men's Ad-Pro Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for Badminton, 26 Oct. 2011
I have been wearing Ad-Pro for years and must be on my 8th pair now. I used to get blisters with other shoes, but not with these. There was uproar a few years ago when they discontinued them so I'm glad to see Hi-Tec have listened and reintroduced them, although the new version is slightly stiffer.

Alchemy - Dire Straits Live - 1 & 2
Alchemy - Dire Straits Live - 1 & 2

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album --- ever !, 8 Aug. 2010
Quite simply, the best of the best.
Every track (except perhaps "Solid Rock") is a classic.
Turn up the volume and listen to the guitars and keyboards, which are simply magnificent,
and Mark Knopfler's distinctive vocals make you wish you were there at the live concert.
......what's more its a value-for-money DOUBLE CD!

Top Gear V8 Roaring Vibrating Engine Pencil Sharpener
Top Gear V8 Roaring Vibrating Engine Pencil Sharpener
Offered by Pink Sumo

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Rubbish, 30 Dec. 2009
Bought this present for a 13-year-old Top Gear fan. It didn't work. Cheap and tatty for the price. Had to get a refund.
Would encourage others to avoid it like the plague!

The War For All The Oceans : From Nelson At The Nile To Napoleon At Waterloo
The War For All The Oceans : From Nelson At The Nile To Napoleon At Waterloo
by Roy Adkins

5.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST all the oceans, 26 May 2008
Wow. I've read dozens of military history books, but not many regarding this era, and I must confess it was a fabulous and very informative read.
There are so many excerpts from the diaries of the actual people who fought in these battles that the reader quickly feels transported back in time and caught up in the heat of events. When most people think of Nelson they think only of Trafalgar, whereas this book gives a great insight into the less well known battles and events of the time. I appreciate that the author has written a separate book on Trafalgar, but my only criticism of this book is that Trafalgar is barely mentioned at all and I would have liked to read at least a chapter on the detail of it here. That aside, I have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Rome - The Complete Second Season [2006] [DVD]
Rome - The Complete Second Season [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin McKidd

5.0 out of 5 stars The four-letter R*** word!, 29 Aug. 2007
Fantastic sequel to the first series. Sufficient historical accuracy (if not perfect) combined with gripping and well-acted drama to keep you on the edge of your seat. Spoilt only by unnecessary overuse of the F*** word in the first few episodes. Its going to be Number 1 on my Xmas list!

Page: 1 | 2