Profile for Catie > Reviews

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris
by Jenny Colgan
Price: 8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny Colgan's best yet, 18 Mar 2013
On the week beginning Monday 11th March, I was supposed to be in Paris. But our island was hit with the worst snowstorm we've seen in 30 years (most years we barely get a dusting on the roads) and my trip was postponed. Silver lining, I thought, I can at least read the new Jenny Colgan a bit earlier. Then I remembered that it is called "The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris". And is set in Paris. I almost put off reading it, due to salt in the wound, then decided to go ahead and read it-and thank goodness I did. It would be an exaggeration to say that it made up for not going to Paris, but it certainly helped.
Jenny has always been a very talented writer, but I've followed her since the beginning and she has just gotten better with every book. She has surpassed herself with her latest offering.
She paints an incredibly vivid picture of Paris and the characters in it and, as something of a Francophile, I adored this. The vibe was captured so perfectly, you almost felt like you were there.(almost...darn you, snow!)
Jenny has increasingly focused on incredible, if hunger inducing, descriptions of food in her work, and of course we are treated to this in spades in this book. I don't have a sweet tooth, but even I think chocolate is beautiful and there are mouthwatering descriptions of chocolate in all forms. You WILL need a hot chocolate when reading this, and anyone reading this at Easter will probably need to go and buy more eggs after being unable to resist devouring the ones they already have! Everything is described in such detail, you can almost taste it. It just makes you feel happy!
The characters are all easy to get to know and develop feelings for, and even the smallest characters are fleshed out enough to give them their own, clear identities.
The book is mostly written in first person with a few sections in third and I loved this-Jenny's first person writing is brilliant, she always perfectly captures the inner voice of the protagonist and it's when she's at her funniest, but her third person writing is magical, and I don't think I'm being over dramatic here. Her emotional writing (by which I mean, the sad bits!) get better with every book, and I may have to admit to having a weep on the bus during this one!
To sum up, Jenny Colgan's latest book is sweet (in more ways than one!), funny, moving, captivating and truly her best yet. I can't wait for her next book, as I think we will continue to see incredible things from this deeply talented author.

Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
by Jenny Colgan
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, as always, 31 Mar 2012
Jenny Colgan is back with yet another wonderful book, this time set in a sweet shop. I have read every single one of Jenny's books, multiple times, and whilst there's a lot of charm and humour to be found in the rawness of her first few books, which is why I return to them time and time again, her writing has gotten more lyrical and more slick with every book, and Sweetshop is no exception-as amazingly well written and emotional as Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe was, Sweetshop takes it one step further and will have you crying one page, laughing the next.
If she continues on in this way she will be a serious rival to Marian Keyes, who I consider to be one of the greatest writers and storytellers around today.
The endless references an descriptions of sweet will give you major cravings (luckily we still have a fairly old school sweet shop where I live!) so be prepared for that, but there's something very charming about it all.
Most of the characters will be fairly familiar to regular readers of Jenny's work, as they do seem to pop up in every book, but this is no bad thing in my opinion.
All in all this book is fantastically written, both funny and sad (at some points I was laughing out loud, other times I had to put the book aside for a little cry) and if you're anything like me, you won't be able to put it down until every single page is done.
There was also a special surprise in that the very last page yielded not another part of the story, but an advertisement for Jenny's next book-a sequel to Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe. She has never done a sequel before, so this is very exciting, I'm looking forward to seeing how she revisits the characters (and really hoping one character finds his way back in, the flashbacks employed in Sweetshop would suggest that this is not an impossible dream!)
Go and buy it now and give it a read- and don't save it for your holiday. This is a book that, like the best sweets, demands to be consumed immediately.