Profile for Georgia Hill > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Secrets in the Shadows: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
Secrets in the Shadows: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written debut novel, 8 July 2014
A really lovely debut novel - evocative, atmospheric and beautifully written. It features some memorable characters and a stunning plot. Can't wait to see what Hannah Emery produces next - she has the makings of a truly wonderful writer. Recommended.

The Wedding Diary
The Wedding Diary
by Margaret James
Price: 5.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Read, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Diary (Paperback)
A magical read of broken hearted people finding love. I galloped through it, laughed out loud at places and sighed with pleasure. Really enjoyed the Italian interlude - made me long to return (but only if I had a certain man in tow). Great fun - and any book which features a dog as beautiful as Caspar gets my vote!

The Oyster Catcher
The Oyster Catcher
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, fun, read., 30 Jun 2014
This was great fun. Poor Fi, having been jilted at the altar, crashes her camper van in a remote Irish village. There, she gets employed by the enigmatic Sean, on his oyster 'farm'. Fi gradually gets more and more involved with other members of Dooleybridge village - and a lovable and eccentric bunch they are too.

You know exactly where it's going - but it's a great read to get there. Good to read during a hot spell, as I did, as you can feel the icy Irish rain and taste the salt spray on your tongue! And Sean is my sort of hero - a bit rough around the edges and vulnerable underneath. Lovely!

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
Price: 6.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Kindle Edition)
Val McDermid and Henry Tilney are two of my favourite things. Never thought they'd be bracketed together!

This was a fast, breezy update of Northanger Abbey. Entertaining, with a tongue-in-cheek narrative. It didn't change my life, but then that's not its intention. Enjoyable and fun.

Oh, and Henry Tilney is still pretty hot.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absoulte Delight, 4 May 2014
Usually steer well clear of books written in the form of letters, as I find them distancing. This has been on my TBR pile for a while but, wanting to recommend it to my book group, I read it over a Bank Holiday weekend. I'm so glad I did. Charming, whimsical, life-affirming, harrowing at times. Juliet, a writer in post-war London, is searching for the topic for her next book. Wooed by an over- confident American, she escapes to Guernsey and stays with people she has already got to know through letters. While discovering how the Guernsey inhabitants suffered during World War Two, Juliet finds out the truth about herself.

I visited Guernsey a while ago and so had some idea of the privations it suffered under German occupancy. This novel brought them into stark relief - but with humour too. Highly recommended. One of those books you feel bereft at having finished.

Bay of Secrets
Bay of Secrets
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Bay of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
I'm thrilled to have discovered this author as I love novels partly set in the past. The characters were well-rounded, lots of detail, some stunning description. In my ignorance, I had no idea about Spain's lost children, so I learned something new too. Loved it! Highly recommended for an absorbing holiday read.

The Roman: HarperImpulse Historical Romance
The Roman: HarperImpulse Historical Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Richly romantic Roman read, 16 April 2014
Fantastic historical detail, a wonderfully brooding and angst-ridden hero and an appealing heroine. What a debut novel from Caroline Storer! It's not an era in history that I read much about - but I loved this. Will be looking out for more from this author. Recommended.

Ghostwritten
Ghostwritten
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Ghostwritten (Kindle Edition)
I loved Isabel Wolfe's earlier chick-lit but hadn't read anything by her for a while. Seeing this was a dual narrative novel, tempted me back. It's the story of ghost writer Jenni who is transcribing an elderly woman's history. Klara was interned in a Japanese camp in Java in World War II. Klara's story inevitably overshadows Jenni's, as it's the more dramatic but both are fascinating. Parts of the novel are harrowing to read and will stay with you, long after you finish reading. Some of the parallels between the two women were a little too neat for me but this was a real page turner and one which kept me up into the night. Recommended.

Confessions of a Chalet Girl: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance (A Novella)
Confessions of a Chalet Girl: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance (A Novella)
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy fun on the piste, 6 Mar 2014
You've just got to love an alpha male hero - and hot Scott is truly in that category. Great fun, some very hot sex scenes and I'm just off to book my skiing holiday now. Recommended for a light, sexy read.

The Songbird and the Soldier: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
The Songbird and the Soldier: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller-coaster of a read, with great characters., 5 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed this. Took me a while to get into it but became gripped once Andy and Sam began writing to one another. Andy is a lovely character: brave, honorable, loyal, intelligent - and hot! Sam is very endearing, although I wanted to wring her neck at one point - only because I cared so much! Enjoyed the detail about army life in Afghanistan too. Looking forward to other writing by Wendy Lou Jones.

Note: I know the author personally. This book was purchased and I was not required to give a positive review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7