Profile for Caroline Davies > Reviews

North and South Complete [DVD] [2010]
North and South Complete [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Patrick Swayze

1.0 out of 5 stars extremely edited version, 24 Nov. 2012
I watched this series many years ago when it originally aired on sky tv and subsequently bought all three books on video afterwards, which have been viewed many times. I was bought the DVD version as a present around three years ago, but never found the time to watch it until recently. I was extremely disappointed to find that my copy of book one is just over 4 hours long and edited beyond it being reasonable to watch. The copy I had on VHS was nearly 9 hours long and a fantastic series to watch. I haven't had the heart to watch beyond the first book as I guess that the rest will have been stripped to the bare bones as well.
My dilema is that my copy was not purchased from amazon and although the cover looks the same I am wondering if the version here is the full or edited one. There are 2 reviewers who have said parts have been cut from their dvds so are they all edited or are some faulty. My copy did state book 1 was nearly 9 hours long but isn't. I would be grateful if someone could clarify if this complete collection is around 22 hours long as stated, as I would then purchase it again, as the full version is fantastic and well worth viewing. I wish now I had watched my copy when purchased as it would have been returned for a refund
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 11:21 PM GMT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Humax PVR-9150T - what a disappointment, 11 Feb. 2009
Humax PVR9150T Humax PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner upto 100 hours of recording. Replaces PVR9200
Bought a Humax PVR-9150T on 26.12.08 as a late christmas present to myself after hours of reveiwing all the various pvrs on the market, as many seemed to have problems. Apart from many people advising of a noisy fan, (that sounds like a computer processor)which doesn't cause too many problems as the pvr is in the kitchen, although you do have to turn the sound up on the tv if the dialogue quietens.

Anyway, I was initially pleased with its ease of use, and the fact I could record whole series without remembering to record them each week, as I work shifts and never known when I will be a home in the evening. The only slight annoyance initially was the fact that it could miss recording the first 30 seconds or the last couple of minutes of a program, which was only a problem when I missed the end of a 3 hour film which was frustrating.

However, last week as I was packing to go on holiday, I noticed that the pvr was recording at 11am in the morning, when I knew I wasn't recording anything at that time. I tried to turn on the machine from standby to see what was recording, but the remote wouldn't work and neither would any of the controls on the machine itself. Eventually I had to turn the machine off at the power supply as I could see no other way of sorting it, and intially the machine came on and the remote worked for a couple of presses and then the machine froze.

This went on resetting the machine for about an hour, I even called Humax, whose automated voicemail stated they were unable to take calls today (02.02.09) due to weather problems. I continued to try myself to sort my machine and eventually found a program recorded at 9am which should have stopped at 10am ( but was still recording at 11am) with an error code on it, I tried to delete the offending program, when the machine froze again, and to my dismay when I reloded it for the umteenth time, it had completely wiped the harddisk taking all the programs I had yet to enjoy with it.

It didn't freeze up again in the 10 minutes I played with the controls before having to depart for the airport, but I am writing this report wondering what if anything I will have to watch when I get back home. I will be taking it straight back to argos if it has malfunctioned again, and if it hasn't I think I will still consider buying another recorder to record important programs simultaneously in another room in case it malfunctions again. I never had this problem with the trusted video recorder, come back all is forgiven!

added info 220209
After returning from hols, I found 1st week of programs had recorded, but 2nd week hadn't and unit was stuck in record mode again. Decided to email humax (who responded within 24 hours). They advised me that the problem was a failed software update, and as it has happened again since, I have removed the automatic update feature, and will search manually so as not to risk losing programmes when I am out. Have advised my mum to do the same as she purchased the same model recently. Have had no problems since, except it contantly goes into error mode if I try to download the latest software over the air.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2010 3:36 PM GMT