Profile for House Sparrow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Adult Play Ukulele Tutor
Adult Play Ukulele Tutor
by Tim Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Adult Learning to Play Ukulele - the best layout of any ukulele book I have bought!, 3 Aug. 2014
I have never played a musical instrument before and decided that, at sixty-three years old, I had better get on with it. I am learning to play ukulele and love it! I have tried other CD's and books, and I think this is the clearest and easiest one I have found for an adult learner. The layout is excellent, there's a history of the ukulele, lovely photo's of ukuleles and players, very clear illustrations of parts of the ukulele, how to read a chord box, hold and tune your ukulele, play your first chord, strumming patterns, songs, an anthology of strumming patterns, lots of information on clubs, and websites and lots more.

The accompanying CD is set at a complete beginners pace - something that nearly all the authors of the other books and CD's, seem to forget. This makes it easy to repeat the exercises, make and change the chords correctly and practice your timing and build up speed steadily.

Tim Lewis is obviously an understanding and experienced teacher, he says "practice is fun, at first practice for only 5 minutes a day, as longer will tire your fingers." This may sound obvious, but my fingertips were very painful at first and being told to take it slowly was very sensible advice. However quickly you may feel you want to go, your mind and body have to adjust. And I am steadily improving, playing songs, singing and having fun.

In his introduction Tim Lewis says he has played, written music for and taught ukulele for over 20 years, started ukulele clubs, co-hosts a ukulele podcast, plays in a band called The Night Owls and has also written a book to teach ukulele in schools. It is his love for the ukulele and desire to share his enthusiasm that makes this such a good adult beginners book - there is a whole new ukulele world out there waiting for us!

Lola Rose Poppie Bracelet Moonbeam Agate Stone
Lola Rose Poppie Bracelet Moonbeam Agate Stone
Offered by PYNK Jewellery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty summer bracelet, 21 May 2014
This bracelet arrived today only (two days after I ordered it) and it fits well. The beads are not too large, it feels light, comfortable and has a delicate look. I think it is a lovely summer bracelet - I have just ordered the same bracelet in capri green quartzite too.

Lola Rose New Season Beverly Faceted Bracelet in Purple Fossil & Grey Mix
Lola Rose New Season Beverly Faceted Bracelet in Purple Fossil & Grey Mix

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bracelet, 21 May 2014
Pretty colours, slightly less bright than in the photo, very versatile, looks lovely with a range of colours - I've worn it wth grape, maroon, mauve, olive and grey. It fits well and I am pleased with my purchase.

iTechCover® - Red Touch Screen Mini Stylus Pen For Nokia Lumia 520
iTechCover® - Red Touch Screen Mini Stylus Pen For Nokia Lumia 520

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy stylus, fits under the loop of my flip-top case, 21 May 2014
This is a handy little stylus. When plugged into the ear-piece socket it fits securely under the loop of the flip-top case I bought for my Nokia Lumia 520, which a longer stylus would not have done (you just have to remember to pull it out when you answer a call). It is light-weight, but so far it seems to be strong enough for the job, and makes messaging faster for me.

10-Minute Watercolours (Collins Gem)
10-Minute Watercolours (Collins Gem)
by Hazel Soan

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Pocket Guide, 15 May 2014
Very pocketable little book. Hazel Soan said she wanted to "provide inspiration for people who feel they they have no time to paint."
Lots of good advice on paper, brushes, paints, pallettes and materials needed for quick watercolours. Information on pigments, colour, tone, painting techniques - wet in wet, wet beside wet, wet on dry, dry bush, wax resist, spatter, fanning. Techniques for speed. Composition, proportion and painting people. Places - landscape , skies, water, clouds, distances, mountains and cities. Animals - birds, horses, cats., giraffes, etc.
As it says a little gem for the price.

Hahnemuhle Watercolour Postcards
Hahnemuhle Watercolour Postcards
Offered by ZEICHEN-CENTER EBELING

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tin and 30 cards, 15 May 2014
The cards have an interesting, rough texture and round-cornered shape. They are thinner and rougher than Jackson's or Daley Rowney watercolour cards and I enjoy using them. I've used them for pen drawings (with Pigma Micron pens- the texture is a bit of a challenge, but as I said interesting) with watercolour washes and watercolour paintings. The tin protects the cards, work I've completed and I can drop it into a bag and know everything is safe. And finally, 30 cards at a very reasonable price.

Watercolour Postcard Pad Slate Blue : Black Tape : Black Blocking
Watercolour Postcard Pad Slate Blue : Black Tape : Black Blocking
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality pad, 15 May 2014
Can pop them in my pocket with a box of watercolour paints, great if I'm on holiday, or any time I don't want to take a lot of gear. I usually seal them before I post them and, as the other reviewer says, friends are pleased to receive a small sketch/painting of something I've enjoyed seeing.

Daler-Rowney : Postcard Pad - 12 sheets - 140lb (300gsm) - NOT
Daler-Rowney : Postcard Pad - 12 sheets - 140lb (300gsm) - NOT
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little pad, 15 May 2014
Nice quality paper with a good surface, fits into my pocket along with a small box of watercolour paints if I don't want to take a bag - perfect for holidays, trips out, etc. And obviously okay to send through the post (I did seal them first).

Book Binding Tool Heavy Duty Awl Ball Handle
Book Binding Tool Heavy Duty Awl Ball Handle
Offered by langton_info_england

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality i would expect for the money, 10 May 2014
This awl arrived nicely packaged. However, when I opened it up, I was very disappointed. The ball handle was made of a wide grained wood, had gouge marks in it, was very rough at the top, patchily varnished and in use was uncomfortable. Next, the metal spike looked as though someone had ground down a nail. I made holes through a few layers of paper and a burr formed around the tip, confirming the poor quality of the metal.
This awl was made in Pakistan - I am not concerned normally about where a product is made, if it is fit for purpose, but clearly the seller needs to be aware that they have a problem with quality control in this case.

Pair of Small Round Rose Gold 4mm stud earrings. Hypoallergenic Surgical Steel does not fade or tarnish. Many other styles available at Nambeads..
Offered by Nambeads

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic studs, 10 May 2014
Simple, comfortable studs, mine have a very secure butterfly. Often on smaller studs the butterfly can be loose-fitting, these are fine. So far i have had no adverse reaction to these earrings and, as a bonus, a work colleague commented on the pretty colour.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5