Profile for Mr. C. J. Davies > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. J. Davies

Mr. C. J. Davies (Brynsiencyn, Anglesey United Kingdom)

Pele: The Autobiography
Pele: The Autobiography
by Pele
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Been The First 60m Player, 31 Dec 2007
I was given this book as a gift by a very good friend of mine. As so many of us have only seen rare footage of this living legend, it's a difficult task on how to gauge his ability with today's current superstars. However, from the scenes I have watched, and some of the comments within this book, I can only imagine he would top the list that would include Ronaldinho, Kaka, Messi and Henry. Better than Best or Maradona? I'm not sure, perhaps equal. I enjoy reading football biographies, and this was no exception. So many aspects of his life is covered, even his early cahoots with girls, to his poorly managed businesses that cost him huge amounts of money. He speaks fondly of his family, especially his father, Dondinho, and how he was the inspiration towards his path to football immortality. A magnificent read, and easy to follow.

The Good, the Bad, and Me: In My Anecdotage
The Good, the Bad, and Me: In My Anecdotage
by Eli Wallach
Price: 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Wallach Wonderland, 23 Jan 2007
I asked my girlfriend to get me this for Christmas, and how glad I was that I had. An immensely enjoyable book, with so many interesting stories. Eli is a great story-teller, from his military days in Europe during WWII to one of his greatest roles as Tuco in the classic Spaghetti Western, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. As well as his friendships with legends such as Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Clint Eastwood, Burgess Meredith and Laurence Olivier. I've always admired Eli's performances, and I was suprised to read that he is actually a stage actor, rather than a big screen actor. I would recommend this book to anyone, not just fans of Eli. A fascinating book to say the least.

'Arry: An Autobiography
'Arry: An Autobiography
by Harry Redknapp
Price: 8.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Redknapp, 12 Sep 2002
This is a smart, easy-to-read book. So good in fact, I read it in one sitting.
'Ol Harry has a few interesting tales to say, not least his experience in the US when he pursued a coaching/management role there.
We get his side of the story on his poor foreign signings. Most notably, the Dutch striker, Marco Boogers.
A must have for any football enthusiast's collection of biographies or just football literature in general.

Morbo - The Story of Spanish Football
Morbo - The Story of Spanish Football
by Phil Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Sizzler!, 24 Jun 2002
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, simply because it did not just focus entirely on football.
It tells us how various regions within Spain, such as the Basque Country, Andalucia, San Sebastian and Catalan all thrive for a spot in the limelight on, and off the pitch.
Of course, no Spanish history book could avoid the subject of the Civil War and the regime of Franco that soon followed. How he got satisfaction seeing the great Real Madrid side of the 50s make a clean sweep on the European stage is also well covered.
A superb book with many interesting facts and trivia, and great references to Spanish greats such as Zamora, Di Stefano and Butragueno.