ARRAY(0xab9e366c)

Profile for Sam Sethi > Reviews

Content by Sam Sethi

Sam Sethi (Cookham Dean, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
by John Battelle

5.0 out of 5 stars Google delivers information at your fingers?, 2 Nov 2005
John Battelle has a long history in the web's short evolution. He is currently deeply involved in the Web 2.0 technologies and strategies and therefore has a great understanding of the past,present and the future of the web. This book very much reflects that fact by covering the past, present and future of search. Google may rule the roost today but let us not forget in the past so did Alta Vista.
The delicious irony is that today Google has delivered on Microsoft's stated vision of "information at your fingertips" first but this is only the first round of a very long battle in the war to win consumers.
If you want to understand what comes next ... I recommend you read this book.

Back to Bedlam
Back to Bedlam
Price: 9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars To be blunt ...this is not bedlam it is brilliant!, 17 May 2005
This review is from: Back to Bedlam (Audio CD)
I have not written a review for over 18 months until now, as nothing has really grabbed me to come forth and gush about a new album. But Back to Bedlam has and what a good first album. Certainly one to sit down and listen too. If you understand the background to the album - James was a UN peacekeeper in Kosovo - then the tracks take on an even deeper meaning.
So how does this album rank for me so far this year (2005). At the moment Thirteen Sesnses, Athlete, The Killers, KT Tunstall, Jem and Rooster have been my favourite albums - having bought and/or downloaded over 30 albums already this year. This album ranks alongside those very well. Forget the new Coldplay, Oasis and Moby albums - all predictable and v.boring.
This album is new, fresh and I guess if there is any justice in this highly rigged music industry it will be a massive hit. Lets hope it does better than the brilliant Alicia Martineau album that just never got the recognition it deserved. And if not I really don't care as I have both and can enjoy them despite neither making mainstream radio listening.

The Coral
The Coral
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Summer of Ska returns, 13 Feb 2003
This review is from: The Coral (Audio CD)
I first heard the Corals on Jools Holland and thought they would just be another Blur/Oasis wannabee but oh how wrong I was!
Although many reviewers here have stated that this is a new style/sound and thus should be filed under a new category. I disagree.
Having bought the album - and being an old Ska boy - this reminded me of the nuttyness of Madness combined with the raw singing talent of The Specials mixed with the catchy dance sound of the The Beat but brought sharply up to date with a strong guitar sound.
Best summarised in my mind as "Skabeat". I imagine this band will be brilliant to see live and I can't wait to see them at V2003.
Off the album my fave tracks are:
4. Dreaming of You {single}
5. Simon Diamond
6. Goodbye
11. Calenders and Clocks
Basically The Coral bring a refreshing new sound to counter the current sound of the moment - i.e American Rock - Nickleback, MatchBox20, The Calling etc.
P.S I hope they release Calendars and Clocks as their next single.

Key of a Minor
Key of a Minor
Offered by Global_Deals
Price: 10.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A new star for 2003, 17 Dec 2002
This review is from: Key of a Minor (Audio CD)
Jessica is going to be a big name in 2003. She is another wonderful singer/songwriter off the American production line which recently includes - Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch and sounds like a young Natalie Merchant... More recent comparisons would include Dido and Alice Town Band.
The well known track on the album is - Even Angels Fall - but other tracks that standout even on first hearing are I Want You, Sadly Beautiful, I'm Sorry, For Wowser and Everything.
This album along with the brilliant new album from Alice Martineau are both wonderful recent additions to my record collection.

Beauty And The Beast (Special Edition) [1992] [DVD]
Beauty And The Beast (Special Edition) [1992] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paige O'Hara

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Disney Magic!, 2 Dec 2002
Having a three year old is wonderful, as I get to see all of these wonderful disney films once again!
As I watch my daughters face light up with expectation once she hears the well known disney introduction. As the fim starts she immediately begins to dance along with Belle.
As the scary part of the film starts we cuddle up and then at the end as the beast becomes the prince she smiles with joy.
This is simply a classic that every child should see at least once but take my word for it, it will be seen time and time and time again!!!

This Is Who I Am
This Is Who I Am
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 10.83

4.0 out of 5 stars From Lion King to Soul Queen, 2 Dec 2002
This review is from: This Is Who I Am (Audio CD)
I came across Heather by chance but I am so glad I did. She recently sang in the stage play of Lion King but now she has branched out to give her voice a proper stage.
Off the album "He is & Sista Girl" standout but my favourite track is "Sunday" which reminds me of India Arie's brilliant single "Video".
If you liked India you will love Heather!

Aware Greatest Hits
Aware Greatest Hits
Offered by Euroteria
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An Aural Orgasm ..., 15 Nov 2002
This review is from: Aware Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have not heard this album but have heard every song on this album. Each song is a classic with some of my favourite songs on - 3AM, Easy tonight, Solitude, The Man Who Would Be Santa, Easy Tonight.
Sadly Tabitha's Secret is no longer but can be heard as MatchBox20. Hootie are about to release a new album at last but Darius Rucker (lead singer) has one of the best albums out this year. As for Five For Fighting, Vertical Horizon, Train and Ed McCain these are some of my favourite bands at the moment.
If you have not heard any of these bands or these songs then buy it now. The fastest way to an Aural Orgasm!

Barbie Playhouse
Barbie Playhouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea poor execution, 13 Aug 2002
This review is from: Barbie Playhouse (Toy)
Having a little daughter who is Barbie barmy made me - against my better judgement - buy this tent. Once up - after great diffuculty - my daughter loved it. So on a child entertainment rating it gets a 5 but the assembly is so poor that the material is very easy to tear.
In my case I ripped the top of the tent as I tried to force the last pole into position. Over a short period of time the tent has got more rips in it.
A better design would have been like the pop-up sunscreen child tents that instantly spring into position and then collapse down to a small round bag when you need to store them away.
Only buy this product if you have the patience and time to put it up and then leave it up or you will get to hate barbie more than you already do ...

The Spirit Room
The Spirit Room
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Alanis and Pat Bentar ... arise the new rock queen, 11 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Spirit Room (Audio CD)
Michelle Branch is on the maverick label (Madonna's)and the same one as Alanis. Having heard several tracks off the album I immediately new this was going to be a special album. This album is now constantly on my CD player and I can't wait for her UK tour. Last year the album was India Arie. This year so far it is Ryan Adams and Michelle. The year has started well what comes next ... Emily Richards?

Promiscuous Customers: Invisible Brands - Delivering Value in Digital Markets
Promiscuous Customers: Invisible Brands - Delivering Value in Digital Markets
by Michael Bayler
Price: 13.92

5.0 out of 5 stars The Experience is now the Brand, 27 Feb 2002
With the start of Internet 3.0 (Semantic Web) we now know that the value of the online brand is not determined by clever advertising but by the users personal experience when interacting with the site. A good experience enhances your brand and a poor experience damages the brand.
So how do you ensure you provide a good experience every time.
This book starts well with realisation that users come to a site for a specific reason and need to carry out tasks-sets in order to complete their objective.
The book then focuses on context of the data using the idea of a multi-modal model which basically states that information needs to be delivered to people in different ways in order to be relevant. This has just become part of the W3C as a workgroup activity. (2/02)
After this the book covers some new technologies -ontologies and XML but fails to talk about P3P (trust) and RDF.
The book also fails to provide a tangible framework for putting in place a framework to measure task success/failure and thus make improvements to enhance the experience.
What is needed is an updated Balanced ScoreCard covering tasks with measurements specific for the web.
Lastly a new area of importance is the use of Behavioural Marketing which uses real-time monitoring of users online to track their behavioural mood - angry, lost, frustrated etc. This when linked to RDF, URI and Intelligent Agents (Semantic Web)will improve the web experience and truly make it 1:1 marketing.
Read: Paco Underhill - Why we buy. B.Caldini - Influence and Balanced ScoreCard - Norton/Kaplan
Buy this book it is a great start but it has some way to go before we get to dynamic personalised web pages that use transivity. i.e Internet 4.0

Page: 1 | 2