Profile for John > Reviews

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Slum
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Slum
by Katherine Boo

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant read, 6 Feb 2013
This book was a really worthwhile read. Very informative but also shocking. What goes on in this slum is depressing in a so called modern world. I was amazed at the financial bribery and corruption that goes on within the police and local government.
I had to double check that is wasn't just a made up story!

Do read it.

1599: A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare
1599: A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare
by James Shapiro
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 2 Feb 2013
I bought this with trepidation as a present for my girlfriend. She has a degree in English Literature and is extremely well read.
I need not have worried! She commented that it is one of the best books she has ever read on the subject and that it is written in a very accessible style.

WS-9160-IT 3-Channel Wireless Thermometer with Outdoor Sensor
WS-9160-IT 3-Channel Wireless Thermometer with Outdoor Sensor

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 Feb 2013
A good middle range thermometer. Was delivered quickly.
Have had theses before and have worked well - would order again although I subsequently bought a nice cheaper one at 10 delivered which has humidity as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2013 11:19 AM BST

iGadgitz Leather Case Cover Holder with Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - Black
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, 2 Feb 2013
I spent some time trawling through scores of cases for my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.
I wanted leather and not too expensive. This one looked good on the site.
It arrived very quickly and I was favourably surprised at the high quality and yes it definitely was leather.
Fitted the phone well and works well in use.

The Lighthouse Stevensons
The Lighthouse Stevensons
by Bella Bathurst
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about hardship, 23 May 2011
I was recently watching a TV programme on this subject where the author was interviewed. It was so interesting that I ordered a 2nd hand copy from Amazon on the Internet whilst still watching! I was not dissapointed. A fascinating read from start to finish telling in detail about the history of the Stevenson family along with detailed description about the building of several of the most memorable lighthouses. The problems encounterd were incredible often having to build on reefs miles from land.
I would very much recommend this book to anyone who has any interest in this subject.